• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    These questions are for all those folks that currently incorporate a long gun or shotgun into their home defense plan.

My plan has always had my Glock 19 as my primary weapon. Recently with the addition of my M4 I'm considering implementing it into the plan also. Therefore I've come up with some questions for the membership.

1. Where do you keep it?
    2. In what condition do you keep it? (full mag, no round in chamber -- round in chamber, full mag, safety on, etc)
    3. How do you secure it from unauthorized users while still keeping it accessible?

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I live in the Indianapolis suburbs in a "vinyl village" neighborhood. The house is a 1200sqft single-story ranch.

Thanks in advance!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Rem 870 with ext mag tube, and surefire, with overfolding stock.
    full mag of 00 buck pull trigger with empty chamber and she is ready to be racked (first warning) lowered (second and last warning) sits in my closet with grip resting on hanger bar and shirt pulled over barrel up. This works b/c I am upstairs btwn my front door and child. So I have time to get to it and cover the stair well.

At my old house exactly like yours... my bedroom was in the front of house with my door next to my front door. I had 2 additional lock on front door to prevent kick in and 870 next to bed at night and put away in AM.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Might sound silly but what are those magnetic holsters they make that can be screwed and mounted anywhere? You could get pretty creative with locations using those.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Might sound silly but what are those magnetic holsters they make that can be screwed and mounted anywhere? You could get pretty creative with locations using those.

I have only seen them at the 1500, but if you had a name I'm sure mail order is doable...BTW my daughter is only 2 so the closet is a very short term storage place.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I have only seen them at the 1500, but if you had a name I'm sure mail order is doable...BTW my daughter is only 2 so the closet is a very short term storage place.
    I think they are called fast holsters. I had a card for them from the show somewhere. Cheaper than dirt sells them. I may be wrong but I want to say the company that makes them is here in Indiana somewhere. I think they have a web site as well. I have only seen them, not used them and am not trying to cut them a promo either.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think they are called fast holsters. I had a card for them from the show somewhere. Cheaper than dirt sells them. I may be wrong but I want to say the company that makes them is here in Indiana somewhere. I think they have a web site as well. I have only seen them, not used them and am not trying to cut them a promo either.

2 of those would be great for putting a Mossy 500 or a Rem 870 on the bottom of the bed frame, covered with the wife's favorite dust ruffle.

Just roll off the bed and pop it off.

I personally have a solid 2x12 homemade bed frame with a holster mounted where the home defense pistol is out of site, out of mind.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Long guns around here are "cruiser ready," which means magazine loaded/inserted, but chamber empty.

I will also suggest that if you choose to use an AR for home defense that you keep a set of electronic earmuffs with it. You may not have time to use them, but if you do, you will be glad you did. In addition to minimizing the permanent damage to your hearing if you have to shoot your AR indoors, you'll also be able to hear better with the earmuffs than you could without them. The downside is if you can't wear earmuffs when shooting a long gun (like me) because the seal is broken when you get a cheekweld.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    You also kinda have to be careful when using a rifle for home defense. Those .223 would have a very easy time passing completely through an individual. Keep in mind where you're shooting and what is behind your target. Might be something you dont have time to think about in a home invasion situation. I'd stick to the glock with a light till you can pick up a nice shotty.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    My plan for my home is to have wood paneling on the interior. I will have a few of the vertical panels disguise spaces behind them in the walls to store a long gun or two, and do the same for a few handguns.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I live alone so my method probably wouldn't work out for anyone with children. I keep the Mossy 500 loaded with 00 buck in my closet, safety on, empty chamber. I also have my XDm with a Surefire on my nighstand. Once I get a collapsible stock and a flash light forearm, the Mossy will be my go to gun for home defense. I have only told my cousin where my shotgun is. From time to time, I let him stay at my house when I'm out of town. He knows how to use it and he's not stupid enough to let everybody and their brother know that I have a shotgun in my closet.

Last edited:

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    well i have 5 children living in my house so my protection is with me at all times.at night it is within arms reach so i dont have to worry about the loaded chamber or safety,or one of my children getting hurt or hurting someone else.(just the bad guys)

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'm open to any and all suggestions. I live in the Indianapolis suburbs in a "vinyl village" neighborhood. The house is a 1200sqft single-story ranch.

I will also suggest that if you choose to use an AR for home defense

I have always though HP rifle was a little overkill and hard to use tact. for home defense not to mention the surrounding neighbors...IMHO

However I do like the suggestion of hearing protection in a pinch, not to mention shooting at night with one eye closed.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I have a pistol grip Mossberg 500 with six shot saddle , 3 in the mag , 1 in the tube and safety on .

I keep it that way , in the bedroom closet cause I don't have kids to worry about . If that doesn't work I've got an AK with 1 mag ready to rock and a .45 .

I don't do the warning thing cause everybody knows breaking in is illegal and IMO , you fore fit your rights by doing so .

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I find the penetration-based concern over using an M4 for home defense to be interesting because it will overpenetrate the least of just about any of the options mentioned. Less than 9mm on up handgun. Less than 00 12 ga. buck. It's a viable choice for HD work.

Rhino's advice on electronic muffs is good otherwise you'll likely have permanent hearing damage if you ever have to squeeze it off in the house.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have always though HP rifle was a little overkill and hard to use tact. for home defense not to mention the surrounding neighbors...IMHO

I tend to agree, so I was looking at the M4 more as the weapon of choice once my family and I were barricaded in a room. Although I do not advocate outright room clearing in an intruder scenario, I would use the Glock w/light as my primary "investigate that noise" gun.

As for the penetration issue, I've heard it both ways.

Mainly my concern right now is safe storage without limiting quick access.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Rhino's advice on electronic muffs is good otherwise you'll likely have permanent hearing damage if you ever have to squeeze it off in the house.

Interesting idea, although I'd need 4 pairs for the entire family. :D Honestly the sound of gunfire would probably be the least of my worries at that time.

:hijack:

Do you think there would be any negative legal ramifications using muffs? (such as 12 jurors seeing you as a "killer just waiting for an opportunity, so prepared he even had hearing protection. . .", etc)

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    My situation is somewhat unique.
    No kids
    No close neighbors
    No over penetration worries at all

So we keep the following at the ready and in place,
    870 chambered & loaded with 00 buck (8 rounds) with mounted flashlight, standing next to bed, muzzle end down, safety on
    XD sub compact in 9mm chambered & loaded on wife's nightstand
    M4 in next room, loaded with JHP, 40 round mag, chambered with safety on

I "in no way whatsoever" recommenced this for anyone else, you should do what your personal situation allows you to do, safely!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My golf clubs are right by the bed, and the putter is a Remington.

366651050.jpg

Top Bottom