• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have always though HP rifle was a little overkill and hard to use tact. for home defense not to mention the surrounding neighbors...IMHO

There is no such thing as "overkill" when you're defending your life and those of your family and friends. If you're threatened, you need to respond with whatever means you have available that will eliminate the threat's ability to harm you as quickly as possible.

Pistols are puny and ineffective. Only 3% of all handgun wounds in America are fatal, including suicides/attempts. Handguns are puny and ineffective. Their only saving grace is that they are convenient to carry with us all of the time.

If you need to shoot something or someone (lawfully) and you have the option, a long gun is almost always a better choice for a variety of reasons. Extreme close quarters and cramped surroundings may alter that, but there is no question that the terminal ballistics of both centefire rifles and the 12ga shotgun loaded with appropriate ammunition are in a completely different league than common defensive handgun rounds. They also tend to be easier to shoot effectively, so you have the double benefit of more effective ammunition and potentially better shot placement. Finally, body armor is becoming increasingly more common among violent criminals, and 5.56 will easily penetrate any soft body armor ever made. Handgun rounds will not do so, in some cases will not even come close.

Furthermore, the 5.56x45mm is an ideal home defense round not only for those reasons, but also because it penetrates less and retains less energy after passing through common building materials than common handgun rounds like 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP. That is correct: the 5.56 (even M193 FMJ) will penetrate less in building materials than handgun rounds, and after penetrating will retain very little energy are far less likely to cause any serious wounds downrange. These facts are not well known, even within the "gun community" who just assume that 5.56 will zip through walls and kill a family of seven next door just because they believed it would happen.

You can't get something for nothing. For the same reason the 5.56 is less lethal after passing through drywall or wood, it's also far less effective when purposely trying to shoot through such barriers. This is more of a concern for soldiers than for me, though. I'm willing to accept the trade-off.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    You also kinda have to be careful when using a rifle for home defense. Those .223 would have a very easy time passing completely through an individual. Keep in mind where you're shooting and what is behind your target. Might be something you dont have time to think about in a home invasion situation. I'd stick to the glock with a light till you can pick up a nice shotty.

This is something I've been interested in researching. I've heard conflicting data. Intuitively, it seems like .223 would penetrate a BG and drywall pretty easily. Some people I know insist that it won't penetrate significantly more than 00 buck.

Doesn't track to me, but I'm no expert. Anyone know about this?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    5.56 does go through drywall, but so does everything else. The difference is, 5.56 is a very light bullet and depends on speed for its effectiveness. After it goes through a sheet or two of drywall, it doesn't have much left. There are plenty of well designed experiments that show this. For a quick and easy look, Rob Pincus and Phil Strader did some shooting through drywall sheets on "Best Defense" this past season. The handgun bullets went straight through many sheets without deviation, which is good evidence that they possessed adequate momentum to do significant damage downrange. By contrast, the 5.56 round deviated from its original path noticeably after the first sheet, and after a few it was no longer "on the drywall." That amount of deflection suggests it retained very little momentum and would cause a lot less damage than any of the handgun bullets to someone who was on the other side of a couple of walls.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    This is what I keep at the bed. For night time home defense.

idd9ow.jpg

9j3kh4.jpg

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I have decently fast access to several firearms if the need arise, and I guess which I would grab first would depend on the immediate need. My weapon of choice is my Moss. 500 12ga with pistol grip, 18.5" barrel and Win Mil-Spec 00buck. I keep it safety off, empty chamber to use the first chambering for the intimidation factor. I have had many tell me that I am un-wise and a few even stupid for using a pistol grip with out a butt stock. I would prefer one but due to the narrow confines coming out of my bedroom into the hallway it could be more troublesome than helpful. I keep it on the gun rack in the back room which is only accesible through my bedroom. Thanks to the door that sticks a little I don't worry that much about my son getting to it and because he is not curious about guns(having been regularly exposed to there usage) I feel a little safer. Here in a few years I will have to come up with a different approach I believe, not cause of him but rather any friend that may not be as disiplined as he is.

Root

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    I like the magnets. I used this guy's idea to make my own. Not as pretty as the retail ones but cheaper. The heat shrink tube is the most expensive part. Not secure, but out of sight and available fast. Still thinking about using two for supporting the 870 somehow.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9mPlW6au9c&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - In Home Firearm Concealment: How to make a Magnetic Holster[/ame]

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    There is no such thing as "overkill" when you're defending your life and those of your family and friends.

Your point is well taken, but to play devil's advicate, a rocket launcher next to the bed with a yard full of landmines or remote controlled IED's would serve a deterance as well. I mean its your familys life and judged by 12 is better than carried by 6. And a shouldered semi-auto although works I see it a less effective than 00 buck.

And FYI 3% is a bad stat, it includes nontrained angry violent crimes. Not home defense avide shooters. And fatal isn't the goal its changing the situation. If handguns were truely that ineffective than everyone would opt for the $300 shottie and not the $500 and up handgun.... says the devil's advocate.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I keep mine in my safe, in my bedroom closet. If I where to keep it out, I would rest it against the wall right by my bed. I would not keep one on the chamber, but would deffently have a full mag. Just the sound of racking a shotgun, will make most would be thievs etc **** themselves.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    5.56 does go through drywall, but so does everything else. The difference is, 5.56 is a very light bullet and depends on speed for its effectiveness. After it goes through a sheet or two of drywall, it doesn't have much left. There are plenty of well designed experiments that show this. For a quick and easy look, Rob Pincus and Phil Strader did some shooting through drywall sheets on "Best Defense" this past season. The handgun bullets went straight through many sheets without deviation, which is good evidence that they possessed adequate momentum to do significant damage downrange. By contrast, the 5.56 round deviated from its original path noticeably after the first sheet, and after a few it was no longer "on the drywall." That amount of deflection suggests it retained very little momentum and would cause a lot less damage than any of the handgun bullets to someone who was on the other side of a couple of walls.

Well the Box of Truth has other to say about it on the 5.56.
    The Box O' Truth #1 - The Original Box O' Truth - Page 1

It went through 12 sheets of drywall, allthough it started tumbling at #6,
    it still had the energy to make it through 12, and a whole lot more.

They then tried it with 12, 3/4 inch ponderosa pine boards, it went through all twelve.

I think that right there proves that any rifle used in a home defense can be deadly to any occupant in the house and neighboring homes. Just becasue it has started tumbing does not make it any less deadly.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The fragmenting (not sure of the correct title) ammo is perfect for home defense. They make it in .223. Expensive, but it works. I think it is perfect for inside the home.

I have read here on INGO that GM carries the ammo.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Just the sound of racking a shotgun, will make most would be thievs etc **** themselves.

The police should play a recording of this magical sound at all public functions just to safe the public the expense of the judiciary. Dirty drawers, skip the trial and straight to prison for all thievs.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I live with one adult room-mate so little kids fingers aren't a problem in my house. I have a 870 on a vertical rack (chest hight) on the inside of my bedroom door Loaded, safety-off, no round in chamber. And a Mossy 500 in the kitchen hidden in a "spice rack" (easy for me to get to fast if I need to)

My Roomie is to cheap to buy guns (his justification not mine)((yes he is stupid)) so instead he was able to find a can of bear mace online (which i have told him that i will shoot him myself if we have a break-in and he sprays me with that sh*t)

Last edited:

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Well I'm currently a college student living at home so as of right now it stays in the box unloaded because my mom is deathly afraid of guns randomly going off.:dunno:

Top Bottom