• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If my doctor were to ask me about owning guns, I'd have to ask him if his wife was any food in bed. After all, that's just as relevant as his question.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Of course they don't want you to have guns!! They don't want you fighting back when they're forcing pills and vaccinations into you.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I have a three year old daughter and at every check up her doctor always asked, "Do you have guns in the house?" Then followed it up with, "Are they out of reach?"

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    "Please turn your head and cough. And while I'm here, do you have any guns in your home?"

Merciful. I am glad to see Florida taking the right legislative steps against this, like the OP I never would have guessed it would have been an issue.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    The funny thing about it, normally I leave my pistol in my backpack when I go in the doctors office, but the last time I was without my backpack so I was carrying, when he asked me to "drop them and bend over" he saw my pistol and asked about it. We proceeded to talk guns for probably 30 minutes and how he would always go to his fathers farm in Africa where he was from to shoot varmint. He is VERY pro-2nd Amendment so next time I go for the finger-wave and Cholesterol check I will make sure to ham it up some more with him on guns...

INGunGuy

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I have a three year old daughter and at every check up her doctor always asked, "Do you have guns in the house?" Then followed it up with, "Are they out of reach?"

I have three children and have never been asked that question. I would be sorely tempted to respond to said question with "out of reach, no, it's always on my hip- SEE!"

My dentist asks about guns all the time though, but that's because we attend the same church and shoot together:rockwoot:

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    My dad, rest his soul, was a small-town, country doctor. If he asked you about guns, he was either looking to buy or barter for delivering a baby!

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    Ha! My Dr. carries a Secamp in his vest pocket. We compare lastest purchases at every visit. The pistol doesn't scare me as much as his rubber gloves.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    IU school of medicine teaches all of its medical students to ask about guns in the home as well as smoke detectors, seat belt use, sleep, exercise, and stressors. It is supposed to identify "risk factors." I still don't ask about most of them but I do lose points over it.

Honestly the next 1500 often makes it into our lunch talk so the class in general is probably pretty 2nd amendment friendly.

I do see it as somewhat applicable. Firearm accidents do pose a significant risk for young children especially. Accidentally shooting yourself is detrimental to your health. It should be a doctors priority to protect the health of his patients and this is an issue that could affect that. I think an appropriate exchange could entail a parent bringing in a child for a visit, especially a well child visit or establish a new doctor visit. Then the doctor, while identifying risk factors, says something to the effect of "firearm accidents are a concern with children of Billy's age. Any firearms in your house should be out of his reach when not under direct supervision." That way you don't have to ask, but the message is still conveyed.

Last edited:

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Two hands on shoulders?

The funny thing about it, normally I leave my pistol in my backpack when I go in the doctors office, but the last time I was without my backpack so I was carrying, when he asked me to "drop them and bend over" he saw my pistol and asked about it. We proceeded to talk guns for probably 30 minutes and how he would always go to his fathers farm in Africa where he was from to shoot varmint. He is VERY pro-2nd Amendment so next time I go for the finger-wave and Cholesterol check I will make sure to ham it up some more with him on guns...

INGunGuy

Didn't it get a little uncomfortable being in that position for thirty minutes? :D

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    What are they going to do if they find out the person is storing guns within reach of children? Invade their house without a warrant and then charge them with leaving a gun on the coffee table? All jokes aside, I see no reason for legislation.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

INGunGuy

Did he ass you a lot of questions about your guns?

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Reminds me of the old joke: a doctor is walking through the park when he sees a guy smoking. The doctor goes up to him and says "you shouldn't smoke, it's bad for you." The guy says, "Yeah, well my uncle lived to be 95." The doc asks, "Did he smoke?? The guy answers, "I don't know, but he minded his own freakin' business."

Top Bottom