• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Don Callison (Warwagon 14) was my wing man in Viet-Nam. He has asked that I pass this along and we would appreciate if you would all do the same.

Thanks

Vince Helmer
    Warwagon11

I've forwarded with widest dissemination.
    Don Callison
    CWO4 USA (Ret)

[FONT=bookman old style,new york,times,serif] [FONT=times new roman,new york,times,serif]

The retired generals are pissed off. Waskow AF Lt Gen, Sylvester USA MG. FYI.

Fellow Warriors of An Loc,

If ever there was a reason to pass on an email about the treatment that our fellow combat veterans have received, this is it. Evidently, our Commander-in-Chief is more interested in developing his skills with the teleprompter, than he is in recognizing a generation of warriors - the true architects of our nation’s prosperity.

If you are so inclined, please pass this on to our fellow Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines and Coasties.

May God Bless America,

Tom Waskow

Tom Waskow, Lt Gen USAF (Ret)

1150 Eaglecrest Drive

Stanley, NC, 28164

(W) 704-827-0456

(M) 503-710-4689

[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]

All:

I just wanted a bunch of you to know about this travesty. When we were turned away from The Wall, I went to lay wreaths on my Mom and Dad and Brother and Sister’s graves at Arlington. Guess what? They had that closed for the great man too!!! Not sure who his canned audiences were at either place, but not many veterans like the thousands of guys I saw going away pretty angry. Tommy DeFrank, be a voice on this, please.

John

[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]

[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]

Today as I usually do each Memorial Day and Veterans Day, I joined my fellow Soldiers I served with in Vietnam to lay a wreath for our fallen at the Vietnam Veterans Wall. We always gather at 0903 hours at the Three Soldier’s Monument. There we meet for a while and talk, see how everyone is doing, if anyone needs help, introduce any new guys from out of town who are visiting, new guys who are joining us for the first time, introduce any members of our family or friends who have come with us, always followed by a few remarks about fellow members of the Blackhorse Regiment who had passed since we had last gathered and then we welcome each other home. Today after walking across Memorial Bridge and rounding the Lincoln Memorial I saw our guys all gathering outside of a barricade around the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. When I joined them I found out to my total disbelief that we could not enter. No veterans allowed. The reason was that Obama was coming there to make a speech and the area was closed to everyone except special people with special passes until his speech was over 5 hours later. I was stunned. Thousands of Vietnam veterans gathering like us with wreaths in hand to recognize our fallen and turned away so that a politician could give a speech. Most of us had been there when Reagan spoke, Bush 41 and 43 had spoken, even Clinton, although most of us turned our backs on him in one of the largest, silent protests ever...seen by everyone...stinging in its impact...totally unreported by the media...but even then, we were not turned away. Today we were. I saw where in a poll where Obama is over 25 points behind Romney with Vets...if they all had seen what we experienced today and knew what had transpired, the spread would be much wider. I doubt if this will even be reported in the media. But, it should. This was not our day...it was their day...the boys who lost their lives. But it was their brothers day to come and touch their names on the Wall and remember them. It was also Decoration Day...the day we recognize those who gave all for all of us. It was not about our narcissist president and his attempt to appeal to the Vietnam Vets for votes. Shut out, we met next to a hot dog stand under a shade tree and held our semi-annual ritual for our fallen. Later that day, one of our men stayed behind and saw to it that the wreath was placed at that section of the Wall when we lost the most during the war. We won every battle in that war and were denied victory. We had to listen to an illiterate world say that we had lost our war. Our troops suffered more degradation, insult, hatred, and disgust from our countrymen than all other US troops from all wars combined. We came home to a country that didn’t want us...and to many countrymen who loathed us...but yet we persevered. Today...was just one more cut...but it was a cut that will not heal any time soon.

Wayne

[/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Heard about the incident this morning. My condolences to all who were turned away. Not surprisingly, the current CinC is as tone-deaf towards veterans as he is toward most of the rest of the citizenry of this Nation.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I don't see any evidence of incompetence in this incident. They accomplished what they set out to do.

I'm not sure I'd agree with your interpretation of this. Ex-Pres. Clinton had many of the same attitudes toward the military, but was people-wise enough to avoid such issues (or had people who could advise him to avoid such issues). Pres. O. seems to have no such "people-wisdom" and, apparently, surrounds himself with advisors who tell him what he wants to hear. I dare say, at this point, he would not deliberately antagonize veterans, since he seems to be courting their good opinion on other fronts.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'm not sure I'd agree with your interpretation of this. Ex-Pres. Clinton had many of the same attitudes toward the military, but was people-wise enough to avoid such issues (or had people who could advise him to avoid such issues). Pres. O. seems to have no such "people-wisdom" and, apparently, surrounds himself with advisors who tell him what he wants to hear. I dare say, at this point, he would not deliberately antagonize veterans, since he seems to be courting their good opinion on other fronts.

At the same time, I think the man is an elitist, and not in the good way. That's why I interpret it as mission accomplished -- the rabble was kept out of his way. But I can certainly see your angle.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Is the incident described in the OP real?

It is a fact that he chose to make his Memorial Day speech at the Vietnam Memorial. Just the normal Secret Service security arrangements would guarantee that large portions of the National Mall would be off-limits to civilians for a significant period of time.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    It was 1988 before a single person ever thanked me for my service. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time any U.S. president has made any effort to recognize Vietnam veterans. I have plenty of issues with Mr. Obama, but I'm not sure people being inconvenienced at The Wall on Memorial Day is something to complain about.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    It was 1988 before a single person ever thanked me for my service. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time any U.S. president has made any effort to recognize Vietnam veterans. I have plenty of issues with Mr. Obama, but I'm not sure people being inconvenienced at The Wall on Memorial Day is something to complain about.

If you read "Wayne"'s email; he's been to the Memorial while Presidents Reagan, Bush(s) and Clinton were there and the vets were allowed to be present. This time, they were turned away.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    If you read "Wayne"'s email; he's been to the Memorial while Presidents Reagan, Bush(s) and Clinton were there and the vets were allowed to be present. This time, they were turned away.

I read the email. Don't remember any other president specifically addressing Vietnam vets though. The Secret Service makes decisions about such closings, not the president. Oh well, some people just need something to complain about.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Everyone needs to remember that the POTUS is nothing more than a Chicago street pimp, and we shouldn't be surprised when he acts like one.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Everyone needs to remember that the POTUS is nothing more than a Chicago street pimp, and we shouldn't be surprised when he acts like one.

He's also a long-legged mack daddy!!

In any event, I have flung finer material all over a pasture with a manure spreader. That [individual] is one of the sorriest excuses for a human being to ever disgrace the earth.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I read the email. Don't remember any other president specifically addressing Vietnam vets though. The Secret Service makes decisions about such closings, not the president. Oh well, some people just need something to complain about.

O is where the buck stops. With a word the president could change such closings. You really think the president can not exercise any authority over the SS? Oh well, some people just need to defend even the worst.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    O is where the buck stops. With a word the president could change such closings. You really think the president can not exercise any authority over the SS? Oh well, some people just need to defend even the worst.
    Having worked directly with the Secret Service on more than one occasion, they are quite anal about not deviating from their own modus operandi. I'm also sure they do not consult the president (any president) on each public appearance. However, if it helps feed the Obamaphobia to buy into what is likely an embellished story, then go for it.

In regards to "defend even the worst" I assume Top Dog is implying that I am defending Mr. Obama. If that make some people feel better, then I'm okay with the statement. In reality though, I'm just looking for the truth. I find these lies and half truths that float around the internet as insulting. Let's just provide the facts and allow people to make their own decisions. (FYI, I didn't like seeing the Bush bashing crap either.)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Having worked directly with the Secret Service on more than one occasion, they are quite anal about not deviating from their own modus operandi. I'm also sure they do not consult the president (any president) on each public appearance. However, if it helps feed the Obamaphobia to buy into what is likely an embellished story, then go for it.

In regards to "defend even the worst" I assume Top Dog is implying that I am defending Mr. Obama. If that make some people feel better, then I'm okay with the statement. In reality though, I'm just looking for the truth. I find these lies and half truths that float around the internet as insulting. Let's just provide the facts and allow people to make their own decisions. (FYI, I didn't like seeing the Bush bashing crap either.)

Fair enough. I'm just very fed up with the current leadership. Not an excuse for bashing. But this president has on more than one occasion shown his true intentions and I dont like it one bit. Sadly the entire leadership of this country has become so inept I doubt just electing someone to replace O will do much good.

Top Bottom