Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Articles: The Case Against Public Education

I'm a graduate of public educations, as well as many good and intelligent people I know. Up until a few years ago, I would have read something like this and rolled my eyes in dismay...as I assumed most problems were related to particular school systems--not the system itself. (In fact one of the reasons we moved from Bloomington was to take my kids out of that Bloomington mindset). However I am growing to be increasingly in agreement with this author.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Statism breeds Statism. Is this truly a surprise?

In before someone hops on railing about their spouse or relative or neighbor who teaches and does 'a really good job' of imparting the State's curriculum into the minds of the youth. Socrates was executed for his corruption of the youth; today we expect and reward it.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    From the 10 Planks of the Communist Manifesto, see #10.
    1. Abolition of property in land and application of all rents of land to public purposes.
    2. A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.
    3. Abolition of all right of inheritance.
    4. Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels.
    5. Centralisation of credit in the hands of the State, by means of a national bank with State capital and an exclusive monopoly.
    6. Centralisation of the means of communication and transport in the hands of the State.
    7. Extension of factories and instruments of production owned by the State; the bringing into cultivation of waste-lands, and the improvement of the soil generally in accordance with a common plan.
    8. Equal liability of all to labour. Establishment of industrial armies, especially for agriculture.
    9. Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries; gradual abolition of the distinction between town and country, by a more equitable distribution of the population over the country.
    10. Free education for all children in public schools. Abolition of children's factory labour in its present form and combination of education with industrial production.[14]

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    From the 10 Planks of the Communist Manifesto, see #10.
    1. Abolition of property in land and application of all rents of land to public purposes.
    2. A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.
    3. Abolition of all right of inheritance.
    4. Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels.
    5. Centralisation of credit in the hands of the State, by means of a national bank with State capital and an exclusive monopoly.
    6. Centralisation of the means of communication and transport in the hands of the State.
    7. Extension of factories and instruments of production owned by the State; the bringing into cultivation of waste-lands, and the improvement of the soil generally in accordance with a common plan.
    8. Equal liability of all to labour. Establishment of industrial armies, especially for agriculture.
    9. Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries; gradual abolition of the distinction between town and country, by a more equitable distribution of the population over the country.
    10. Free education for all children in public schools. Abolition of children's factory labour in its present form and combination of education with industrial production.[14]

Who is John Galt?

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Articles: The Case Against Public Education

I'm a graduate of public educations, as well as many good and intelligent people I know. Up until a few years ago, I would have read something like this and rolled my eyes in dismay...as I assumed most problems were related to particular school systems--not the system itself. (In fact one of the reasons we moved from Bloomington was to take my kids out of that Bloomington mindset). However I am growing to be increasingly in agreement with this author.

Just read an article in Army Times about the number of military families using virtual classrooms (online) for homeschooling. Given that military families are often very mobile, homeschooling is often used to keep the kids on track. I knew a Rabbi (chaplain) who homeschooled his six children. But then his father inlaw was one of the leaders of school choice in NJ and active in leadership for the NJ Tea Party.

Remember that Thomas Jefferson, George Washington and many of the colonial wealthy families were homeschooled by paid tutors.

bulldog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    Crawfordsville,In
    Read a book some years back titled "The Underground History of American Education".A very good read.As a product of public education it really resonated.
    The 1st lesson taught in school is indifference.I've yet to meet an educator than
    can tell me the 4r's.Perhaps because if you know them you don't need public
    school teachers. RESEARCH,RECORD,REASON,RELATE

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Read a book some years back titled "The Underground History of American Education".A very good read.As a product of public education it really resonated.
    The 1st lesson taught in school is indifference.I've yet to meet an educator than
    can tell me the 4r's.Perhaps because if you know them you don't need public
    school teachers. RESEARCH,RECORD,REASON,RELATE

Ha your wrong its rightin readin rithmatic and retroric

Top Bottom