High Standard Model B Restoration (for posterity!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Well, I haven't repaired or restored a firearm in a few weeks now, and was getting bored. I knew my dad had this .22, given to him by a friend who had since passed away. I knew it had some severe water damage, (Rust and pitting), and was given to him, in a gallon ziplock soaked in oil. I called him and asked him if he had plans to restore it, and if not, would he let it go. He told me he'd have to think about it. He called me back, and said that as long as Phil III, (My 4 year old) inherited it, that it was mine! I said, "Works for me!"

He brought it out yesterday. I pulled it out of the bag, and this is what I saw
    100_8058_zpse0383b8a.jpg
    100_8059_zps1158a49c.jpg

This was definitely the gun discussed in the thread about gunsmithing for a living. It came to me in a bag, not in pieces, but broken, because someone along the line attempted to disassemble it, and without knowing how to break the gun down properly, managed to break the takedown lever off. In their defense, (whoever it was!), It WAS disassembled/broken, at least 20 years ago, before the advent of Google and Youtube! (Makes me seem more capable than I would be without them!

After a little research, I found out that I can still get factory parts for this 71ish year old pistol! (I was quite relieved!)
    100_8060_zpsca54e05b.jpg

Some of the pitting is what I would consider severe. Some isn't too bad. Luckily, the rust around the rollmarks is minimal at worst! I plan to be very gentle with this one. If the metal were restorable, I'd have it re-blued. Unfortunately, most of the pitting is severe enough that it's going to require filler to bring the shape back, therefor, I'll be duracoating this one too.
    100_8071_zpsa0d06697.jpg
    100_8072_zpsefaa13b8.jpg

You can see that the spring lock retainer screw is destroyed. I soaked it with penetrating oil all night, and managed to break it loose with a pair of needle nose pliers from inside the slide this morning. It is now completely disassembled!

As you can see in the next few pics, the damage is all superficial! (Thank God!) The bore, chamber, and breach are perfect, and the inside of the frame is rust free! (Just looks rusty from the flash hitting the old filthy grease and oil!)
    100_8075_zps14b66b5a.jpg
    100_8063_zpsfe3699b3.jpg
    100_8066_zps9a4e1759.jpg
    100_8067_zpse60eb208.jpg
    100_8068_zps96d33ea0.jpg

And one more, of mine in current state, next to a H-D Military, that a buddy of mine inherited from his Grandpa! (It needs a new recoil spring and a good bath!)
    100_8078_zps6af3c69f.jpg

Thanks for looking! I'm new to the High standard .22s, and appreciate any input, advice, or resources other High Standard owners have for me!

I'll update after I get it stripped!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You have your work cut out for you! I have seen some of your projects. I know this will look great. I am looking forward to the updates.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I did one a few years go that looked VERY similar, maybe a bit less pitting. Had almost 100 hours into the prep work for blueing.... Having your work cut out for you is an understatement. You are going to have to dedicate yourself to that one.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I did one a few years go that looked VERY similar, maybe a bit less pitting. Had almost 100 hours into the prep work for blueing.... Having your work cut out for you is an understatement. You are going to have to dedicate yourself to that one.
    Did you level all the pitting on the one you did? I'd love to re-blue this one, but I'm afraid it's too far gone to re-blue, without filler.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    With that much labor at stake I'd swap in a better slide and barrel.
    I'm going to call High-Standard today, and see what all I can get, and what it'll cost. If the wife will let me spend the cash, I'd love to swap in at least a new slide, and focus on bringing back the frame, but I'm afraid it'll cost more than I'll be able to spend.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Well, I got her stripped this morning. Some of the pitting on the slide and barrel is DEEP! I had to use a more aggressive blast media than I normally like, so I was VERY careful to avoid all the rollmarks. I came back and hit them with a finer media, so I wouldn't mutilate them!
    100_8079_zps52ef0183.jpg
    100_8080_zps24e75f09.jpg

100_8081_zpsef824e72.jpg

Unless parts are CHEAP for this, (Unlikely), I'll probably just fill the pits and Duracoat it. If at a later date, I can afford to swap the slide and barrel, then I'll probably re-strip the frame, metal finish it's damage, then re-blue everything. The price difference is likely astronomical! To strip, fill, and duracoat, I'll have under $100 in bringing this one back. I'm afraid I'd add a 0 to that number, to do it "right"!

...Although, it would be nice to have the longer bull barrel, like the H-D Military!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I thought you said "restore" not refinish. Restoring would have meant drawfiling down the pits, stoning the file marks out, then polishing back to the original sheen. To me media blasting would be more along the lines of refinishing, not restoring. Semantics i know, but i am a stickler for details.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I thought you said "restore" not refinish. Restoring would have meant drawfiling down the pits, stoning the file marks out, then polishing back to the original sheen. To me media blasting would be more along the lines of refinishing, not restoring. Semantics i know, but i am a stickler for details.
    I'd say semantics! :dunno: To me, "To restore", means to bring back into good usable condition! I'm a shooter, not a collector! It wasn't in good, OR usable condition! If the pits were shallow enough, a proper restoration WOULD be my choice, but there are a few pits that are close to 1/8 inch deep! I don't think she can afford to lose that much material!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Wow, really sad to see a classic like that in such bad shape. I agree with you on just filling in the pitting and painting it. It will be interesting to see how you save the roll marks. that's going to be a lot of work. But the gun has family history. I'd go for it. You can't put a value on that.

Looking forward to the updates

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Wow, really sad to see a classic like that in such bad shape. I agree with you on just filling in the pitting and painting it. It will be interesting to see how you save the roll marks. that's going to be a lot of work. But the gun has family history. I'd go for it. You can't put a value on that.

Looking forward to the updates
    Agreed! My favorite thing about my older guns is learning their history and significance! This one was made in 1942 or 43, and was used by the army to train basic gun handling to those too recoil shy to learn on the 1911! Cool little chunk of history! As for the rollmarks, I'll be able to avoid them altogether, right up until duracoat. The only damage the rust did to the rollmarks was some light pitting inside the "D"! I usually use a mini HVLP paint gun for duracoat, because I get a great even finish. I think on this one, I WILL use my airbrush, just because I want a thin film build, so I don't drown the finer rollmarks

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Learning the history of the gun is also one of my favorite parts. I learn a lot about the Sten's when I build mine. So cool. Now I am on my second build. I got side tracked with my 3 in 1 lathe/mill project. I hope to get more on track on that build shortly. But the 3 in 1 has been a fun project too. It's going to be great for gunsmithing projects :-)

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I got side tracked with my 3 in 1 lathe/mill project. I hope to get more on track on that build shortly. But the 3 in 1 has been a fun project too. It's going to be great for gunsmithing projects :-)
    I've been fighting that urge for a couple years now! It'll have to wait until I have a bigger shop! Along with a fullsize drill press, sheetmetal brake etc. etc. etc! Count me jealous buddy! That would take priority in my book!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    This isn't a very big or expensive machine although it's starting to add up :-( It's a harbor freight 46199. I found it slightly used. It was very dirty from sitting in a garage unused. I had a lot of cleanup to do and a ton of adjustments. I am in the middle of adding a DRO setup. I have the X and Y axis done. the Z is being a PIA but I have it figured out.

I have a nice drill press but the Brake is on my wish list. I'd like to find a South Bend Lathe that needs a little work but no luck yet.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield

Gotta agree, restoration and refinishing are FAR from the same thing...... while I appreciate what you are accomplishing OP, its not a restoration. Its a repair and refinish job.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Anybody else want to nitpick, and ***** on my project based on how I choose to title it? Why don't you guys start posting projects, instead of trolling everybody else's!?

If I restore a classic car, that from the factory, was finished with lacquer, and I refinish it with base/clear, is it no longer a restoration, because I didn't use lacquer?

Lots of talkin on the INGO, not a lot of action!

I post my projects to encourage the guy with moderate skills and moderate resources to go ahead and give something a shot! I do not post them for troll fodder for the http gunsmiths to rag on!

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Thats the wonderful thing about the internet , If you think you are correct -you are .NO restore is BACK to original condition Not what you want to make it. I do agree that you have a project on your hands but what kind of project is debatable.

Moderate skills = bubba gun smith

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Thats the wonderful thing about the internet , If you think you are correct -you are .NO restore is BACK to original condition Not what you want to make it. I do agree that you have a project on your hands but what kind of project is debatable.

Moderate skills = bubba gun smith
    I never claimed Gunsmith, and I'm certainly no bubba! Search my threads. Do you see any bubba work? Move it along people!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Anybody else want to nitpick, and ***** on my project based on how I choose to title it? Why don't you guys start posting projects, instead of trolling everybody else's!?

If I restore a classic car, that from the factory, was finished with lacquer, and I refinish it with base/clear, is it no longer a restoration, because I didn't use lacquer?

Lots of talkin on the INGO, not a lot of action!

I post my projects to encourage the guy with moderate skills and moderate resources to go ahead and give something a shot! I do not post them for troll fodder for the http gunsmiths to rag on!

I have already put my money where my mouth is... i have posted at least 5 TRUE restoration projects on here.... and in the 5 years i have been here probably have at least 30 threads similar to yours.... so my money IS where my mouth is... and i wasnt trying to troll your thread, rather correct you from using improper terms so you dont sound like the senator that likes to talk about ghost guns.

See here what people look like who use the right words, inappropriately.

Sen. Kevin de León - Ghost Guns PC 1/13/14 - YouTube

Either way, looks like you have made some real progress. If you intend on filling the pits and painting i would use some sort of finish that doesnt require heat. the epoxy that you would use to fill the wholes does NOT like heat and will more than likely distort some. Duracoat will work for this, as will air dry moly resin and cerekote. the air dry moly resin would be my choice for simplicity vs. cost vs. looks. I also reccomend devcon steel for the epoxy you use to fill in the pits.... its consistancy is slightly more runny than peanut butter but once it cures its REALLY good stuff.

Top Bottom