• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    What do you guys think about the taurus judge? I am thinking about getting one I have one close to me for a good price. I think it is a good canidate for my nightstand. Anything bad I should know about?

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    IMHO, while I like the idea of a wheel gun for the nightstand for many reasons, The Judge is a gimmick and personally not something I am a fan of. Most of them come with this little bitty grip. Combine that little bitty grip with a heafty recoil, bulky clumsy nature of the gun, and it's just not something that appeals to me. I have shot a few of them and every time I do, I don't like it. If you want a wheel gun for the nightstand, get yourself something like a nice S&W 38 special. :twocents:

sampo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Owen County
    A judge would be neat to have for a nightstand, or even a car gun. So that would be a big YES! Not good enough to carry but good for a nightstand or car. Have you considered the Raging Judge? I believe it takes the .454 Casull along with the .45 long colt/.410.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Well, I have one.... and I like it! It's the larger version, chambered for the 3" shells. With the rubber grip that came with it, I don't find the recoil to be any different than my Smith 2" Snubbie. I keep 'em both in my bedroom drawer :)

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    My dad has the judge public defender poly. It is pleasant to shoot with 45lc but the 410 is a handful. Like sampo said it would be a good car gun and nightstand gun because it's effective range is only like 15 ft( depending on your load). I shot some of that #6 shot and that is only good for about 5 ft then it spreads like crazy. The pdx1 stuff with the discs and bb shot and the 4 buck shot are your best choices for defense. I would pass on the 1/4 oz slugs cause it just equals a weak 9mm in ballistics. For really close range they are pretty nasty

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I don't have a judge, but I do have a S&W Governor. Great nightstand gun, or critter gun. I usually have mine with me when I'm mowing, just in case any critters pop up. Even if you don't use it for a defense weapon, it is still a fun gun to shoot. And also, bear in mind that half, (or more), of the negative comments about the gun are from people that have never shot the gun, they just read something negative on the internet, so it must be true. Check Youtube, for every negative review, you will find a positive from someone else.

If you like the gun, or think you might like the gun, buy it. Shoot the gun as much as you can afford, if it doesn't work for you, sell it, you probably won't even lose much, if anything.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I too, have the S&W Governor. It is a great addition to my collection. IMHO - no Gimmick. It is an N Frame S&W in a major caliber (Or three). Waking up out of a sound sleep and possibly not being on top of my game - it is comfortable to know you can aim for the center of the doorway. I have many other options available - I believe their is an application for this type of weapon - and it is just fun!!!!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Keep in mind that being a pistol, our benevolent .gov requires the barrel to be rifled, and firing shot, the rifling will cause centrifugal force to the shot, causing it to spread off the boreline. You wind up with a donut pattern at more than a few feet, and no more shot than you can get in a .410 you could miss entirely when aimed dead center. With slugs or .45 Colt, you'll be good, but you've negated the shotgun feature. Had the GF at a gun show, and these were what she kept looking at. I had to restrain myself from facepalming.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    IMHO, while I like the idea of a wheel gun for the nightstand for many reasons, The Judge is a gimmick and personally not something I am a fan of. Most of them come with this little bitty grip. Combine that little bitty grip with a heafty recoil, bulky clumsy nature of the gun, and it's just not something that appeals to me. I have shot a few of them and every time I do, I don't like it. If you want a wheel gun for the nightstand, get yourself something like a nice S&W 38 special. :twocents:

I have a Judge at home, and normally carry a S&W 638. I'll agree that the Judge is not fun to shoot, but neither is my 638. The recoil from the Judge is not that much worse than the 638, especially considering the difference in the loads. I find it handy to have around the house, but be prepared to go deaf if you ever need to use it.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    owned a couple, stay away from the public defenders ( too small of grip) , but i currently have the standard 2 1/2 chamber with 3" barrel , love mine , use it for a woods gun (snakes or ?? ) , HD gun , shooting clay pigeons with a pistol , all around like mine and looking at getting one with a 6" barrel soon

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I owned one. As a self defense gun I feel its very limited. I would never carry it because its too bulky and heavy (although a poly version is available, that will lighten it, but still not comfortable to carry for me). Range is obviously an issue if you are using .410. What I will say is alot of people call it a gimmick gun....but if someone opens your bedroom door and you are 3 ft behind it with some PDX1 defense loads...Im sure the intruder will not think its a gimmick. All the being said, if I just wanted a night stand gun it would be ok. But im my opinion you can find a much better wheel gun option for self defense.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    When the Judge first came out I was "Wow"...but it kind of fizzled out!
    Here is why...
    I really thought it was a neat concept, but its been hit or miss with Taurus for me, and didnt want to take a chance. I also never shot 45LC so...I never picked one up.

So then S&W throws out the Governor, ok...
    you get 6 rounds instead of 5
    you get the 410, 45LC, and 45ACP on moonclips...cool!

It fit nicely in my hand, and I thought it looked pretty darn good!
    (Personal Opinion)
    So...

Top Bottom