• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I bought a judge with the 3" cylinder. I like it and have fun with it, but its main purpose now is my weed-eating gun. I hate snakes, and I always see them when Im weed-eating fence rows. So I keep the judge on me then.

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    I've got one and I shot it quite a bit in the beginning. It's fun! My son, 13, loves it as a zombie killer:ar15: That's his SHTF gun.

StrongSide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have heard about all kinds of failures on the Taurus..

Who knows though. I have shot a governor and it was a lot of fun. IMO encourage your buddy to buy it(as long as he lets you shoot it), but I would pass!

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    A funny take on "judges" in all their glorious iterations:
    Taurus Judge: The latest ill-conceived self defense weapon that's selling like crazy - Page 3 - M4Carbine.net Forums
    Sorry if the math is a bit esoteric for most folks.

Now according to the equation Below(and I'm not saying this is correct it just seems to me to be the way it is.)

KNOWN FACTORS

NRA= Goodness/ authority/ 2nd Amendment Pied Piper

Majority of Gun Buyers (AKA- MGB's)= Internet gun forum junkies/ not inclined to get training/ go for the CDI factor (Chicks Dig It).

Mass Marketing (AKA- MM)= Shiny paged magazines & The internet.

Coherent/ Informed Gun Owners (AKA- CI).

SO:
    NRA + MGB's + MM / CI = ?

Well if we take the equation and work it by adding the three main parts and deviding it buy those of us who are intellectually sober possibly even savvy firearms enthusiasts we get:

NRA + MGB's + MM / CI= Waiting lists at gun shops for a firearm with limited usefulness and a fever to buy these things similar to that of a middle school teenage girl trying to buy tickets to a Lady Gaga concert.

NOW all that said...... I will confess that I did actually buy one of these years ago when they were first released with the intention of using it as a general carry around the property type thing/ maybe for hunting as a side arm etc.

I did it because my local gun shop guy says "Hey man you gotta get one of these. They're pretty bad ass." So I had the $400 bucks and rather than buy ammo which is why I was in there, I figure ahh F'ck it. Why not?

Shortly (an hour or 2) there after I'm wondering WTF? this thing is a ***** to shoot. It's not very accurate, 45LC is a suck round and .410 isn't any better.

OH! And I still needed to pick up the .223 ammo that I originally went to get. So now I have a crap gun and no ammo for an up coming training event.

Hey I never said i was a genius ok.
    biggrin.gif

Anyways.... That's kinda my take on the "Judge."

Feel free to disagree.

PS...... Yes I sold it..... and for more than I paid.......That's how bad some people fell for this thing.

Now, since the "judges" are way too bad ass and will vaporize anyone even nicked with the thermonuclear .410 or .45 colt ammunition, you can tone it down a bit by shooting what appear to be Cheetos:

The Firearm Blog » Not-as-lethal ammunition for Taurus Judge

Quick! More duct tape! My cranium pressure is about to exceed the skull's structural integrity! :D

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I do like them but would not want to carry one for self defense. At home and a few stationed around the house would be perfect.

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    I have a judge. the recoil isnt a huge factor shoot one and you'll see what I mean. It is my nightstand & primary. It's a close range firearm. I enjoy the diverse range of ammo from the pdx self defense & slugs buck & bird all of which I practiced with and none of which I'd ever want to be on the receiving end of. I've also practiced with the 45lc I like it pretty expensive.
    Definitely under rated.

cschnaufer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I've got a Judge with a 3in Barrel. It is as loud as The Who in concert and about as much fun. I can understand those who call "Gimmick" on it as it's a pretty cartoony looking thing. But for my purposes it works great. I don't think the recoil is a problem. My only nitpick is that my wife can't fire it as it's too big for her hands. So long as I'm home it's a decent primary.

nvb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    unless you have a snake problem their is a better gun for whatever your planning to use it for. friend had one, their kind of fun for a little while and if you just want one because you think its cool then go for it. I don't think they are very practical

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    I purchased a Public Defender from a friend 3 weeks ago. He sold it because he needed cash, not because he didn't like it. Since there are no snakes in my bedroom I utilize Hornady 185 grain Critical defense rounds. I bought it because I like the 45 Long Colt and I wanted it small enough to carry without a shoulder holster. Grips are ugly, but they do soften the blow. recoil ith the 410 is a little more snappy. Pleased with its performace for a nightstand gun. Hope this helps.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I go turkey hunting every year in southeast Georgia with a friend of mine and he purchased a Judge for a little snake and possum sidearm. I agree with the majority of the posts here....it's a nice concept but he was very dissatisfied with it. I carried it for a few days this past April and shot it a decent amount and would not recommend it to any of my friends. The shot pattern at anything past 4 yards is worthless. Also has a really sharp recoil. Manageable but not enjoyable.

It's a pass for me.

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Pass on the Judge on quality alone. I've known people to sell them within a year and you read on boards about issues. You should spend your hard earned money on something better in that price range.

Top Bottom