• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Bought wifey a P380 to replace the G42 she couldn't fire. Wishing I hadn't at this stage. I've never had the kind of teething pains I've experienced with this little thing. Don't know how many INGOers have experience with this but thought I'd throw it out there to the people I hope know more than me.

The recommended break-in period of the Kahr, according to the manual, is 200 rounds. I've put a bit over that through it so far and have experienced just about every malfunction I can come up with - everything from failure to chamber first round from mag (using the proscribed Kahr method of releasing the slide lock from hold open, btw), to failure to return to battery, failure to extract, double feeds, the works. The only thing I HAVEN'T experienced yet is failure to fire, so I'm sure the guts are working, anyway.

I think this is to be quite a learning curve for me - I'm used to guns that just work (certified Glock guy here, sorry!). I've had micro 380s before and haven't had issues with them - BodyGuards and LCPs - so I really can't see how my grip can be the problem, since I can fire hundreds of rounds through them without failure.

I'm thinking, however, I may be zeroing in on some issues that are contributing. Yesterday after field stripping and disassembling the slide for thorough cleaning I noticed that there's an area on the bottom of the slide that's showing signs of polishing - as if rubbing on something during operation. I noticed this because it's not the same finish as the rest of the slide bottom and is only in a small section that seems to correspond to a "hill" of sorts on the polymer frame in the dust cover area. From what I can see its a perfect match for the movement front to back of the slide to polish it up.

So, thinking this could be part of the problem - increased drag slowing things down enough to keep from proper function.

Also, in disassembling the mags for cleaning I found one 6 round mag that has the follower move relatively smoothly. Both the extra 6 rounder and extra 7 rounder it came with have the followers hitch quite a bit during travel. Granted, this may be overcome by the spring under pressure, but to my mechanical mind (not an engineer by any stretch, but 23 years of automotive experience, most of it in parts and service, has given me an eye for a few things :) ) the followers need to move through the mags with a minimum of effort.

So, INGO, are we talking about needing hotter ammo and reducing friction in the slide movement and follower, or is there something else I need to look for? I DID email Kahr about the issue, haven't heard back yet (didn't really figure to, emailing them on Saturday like I did), or is there something endemic to these little beasts I'm not seeing?

I'm sick at the thought of the money this little "premium" 380 cost me to give me these kind of issues.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You shouldn't have that level of problem at all. Most people have either no problems at all in the break-in period or possibly a couple of instances of a single type of failure. It sounds like there is something more seriously wrong with that gun. Simply contact Kahr. They have good customer service and should be able to evaluate it and make it right. Do not go for hotter .380 rounds. Although Kahrs are rated for +P ammo, there is no standardized .380 +P SAMMI spec and you might run into problems.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    You shouldn't have that level of problem at all. Most people have either no problems at all in the break-in period or possibly a couple of instances of a single type of failure. It sounds like there is something more seriously wrong with that gun. Simply contact Kahr. They have good customer service and should be able to evaluate it and make it right. Do not go for hotter .380 rounds. Although Kahrs are rated for +P ammo, there is no standardized .380 +P SAMMI spec and you might run into problems.

Wasnt going to put anything above saami specs through. Some ammos hotter than others though.

Its frustrating.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Have your tried the Precision Cartridge ammo you got from me? I had some issues with feeding the G42 different ammo. I was getting failure to feed due to the slide not coming far enough back to catch the next round and eject.

When I put the PC ammo in it all problems went away.

I ordered 500 rounds of the Precision One SD 380 ammo for me and two other guys. 200 rounds will be for me and 150 each for the other two guys. I will let you know how they work in my wife's G42 and my Daughters LC380.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Have your tried the Precision Cartridge ammo you got from me? I had some issues with feeding the G42 different ammo. I was getting failure to feed due to the slide not coming far enough back to catch the next round and eject.

I ordered 500 rounds of the Precision One SD 380 ammo for me and two other guys. 200 rounds will be for me and 150 each for the other two guys. I will let you know how they work in my wife's G42 and my Daughters LC380.

Wifey ran some and had issues. I'm going to take it out today with that ammo and the mag i think is best.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County

50 rounds of that ammo. Ran only the mag whose follower moves freely. One failure to chamber from slide lock release. Approx 6-8 failures to return to battery - had to push slide home with a bit of force. One slide lock with ammo remaining. That one could have been my thumb hitting slide lock during recoil.

Sigh.

Then I blasted through a mag in my 26 to raise my spirits :)

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Wow that sux Wes.

I hope Kahr makes it right for ya.

Should've stuck with the 42 but wifey had issues with it. Ran without issue for me.

When it works properly she can shoot the Kahr. The problem is getting it to work.

Guess I'll get to experience Kahr customer service first hand. From what I'm gleaning of posts I've see elsewhere of late, this may prove.....interesting.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Sent in a request for an RMA. Let the games begin...

I just got mine the other day for my CM9. Kahr is a great brand, but from what I've been hearing lately have been going through some 'growing pains'... Seems like they've been unable to produce the same level of quality that they were known for as they grow. It's too bad too.

I'm sending mine back this week to have them (hopefully) replace the frame as I had concerns about the polymer wear after only 110~ rounds. Also while dry firing one evening more recently I had some trigger problems with some 'pops' instead of some 'clicks' that I want them to inspect... but it's quite likely a sliver of polymer got somewhere it should not have which caused that.

Also, email sales@kahr.com and not service@kahr.com. I waited several weeks for a response from service@... never heard back. Sent one to sales@, got a response in a day or two...

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I just got mine the other day for my CM9. Kahr is a great brand, but from what I've been hearing lately have been going through some 'growing pains'... Seems like they've been unable to produce the same level of quality that they were known for as they grow. It's too bad too.

I'm sending mine back this week to have them (hopefully) replace the frame as I had concerns about the polymer wear after only 110~ rounds. Also while dry firing one evening more recently I had some trigger problems with some 'pops' instead of some 'clicks' that I want them to inspect... but it's quite likely a sliver of polymer got somewhere it should not have which caused that.

Also, email sales@kahr.com and not service@kahr.com. I waited several weeks for a response from service@... never heard back. Sent one to sales@, got a response in a day or two...

Thanks for the info. Just forwarded the email to that address as well.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Kahr has great customer service and will take care of you. The extractor extracted itself from my CM9 and I had to send it in. Kahr had it back in 2-3 weeks and completely reworked the slide free of charge. The gun that came back was smoother than what I sent in.

Sometimes you'll get a dud, but that is why you pay a premium: to limit the odds of getting a lemon and for good customer service to take care of you when you do.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you and your wife.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Sorry to hear about your issues, because I know if the gun would run you would be in love with it. Just send it back and give it a chance, a proper running Kahr really is a great pistol. Hope things work out for you!

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Sorry to hear your woes. My CM9 is one of my favorite guns that I own. It shoots as well or better in my hands than everything else I own. Hope they make it right for you. I haven't had to use their customer service.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I had the cw380 and that thing was the biggest POS I've ever owned. It got sent back 2x. Same problems you mentioned. I sold that piece, bought a G26 and called it a day.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I have a cw380 and I'm starting to lose faith in it. I've put well over 200 rounds through it and I'm still having issues. I have 150 rounds of 380 left that I plan to run through it soon. If that doesn't get it broken in it will be sent back into Kahr.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I feel bad for you guys, I have heard of a lot of people having issues online. In my personal experience however, mine ran like a champ out of the box, zero issues to 200 and beyond! I tend to recommend them frequently too, as the same thing has held true for a handful of other people I know. I thought the P380 problems had been solved over the past few years and expected the CW to come out flawless being the same gun and all pretty much. Sure hope things work out!

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I had a new LCP that gave me issues from the start - called Ruger, they had me send it back, and had it repaired in my hands in the space of a week. I'm hoping Kahr can match that. At least this time it's not either of our main carry guns like the LCP was (still getting used to EDC back then). With wifey and I both carrying 26's it's not like we're hurting for carry guns. This P380 is intended for her to carry when I'm with her and she wants to dress a little nicer than her everyday stuff which allows easier concealment of her Glock. But not until/if it's made right.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I have a cw380 and I'm starting to lose faith in it. I've put well over 200 rounds through it and I'm still having issues. I have 150 rounds of 380 left that I plan to run through it soon. If that doesn't get it broken in it will be sent back into Kahr.

So why wait?

Top Bottom