Pistol doesn't fire because of weak hand strength?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MiaMiaPP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Avon
    I have a subcompact Beretta px4 9mm for about a year now, probably took it to the range around 10 times. The problem is, the bullets tend to get stuck in the barrel and the gun doesn't fire. At first I thought it's a defection on the gun, but whenever my father or boyfriend used it, it always performed flawlessly. The guy at the range suggested that it may be because I didn't hold the gun sturdily enough. I'm a female 21yo with not a lot of gun knowledge so anyone can validate this theory for me? Also, if it is true, is there another techniques that I can use to minimize this happening?
    Ps. I've bled my hands several times trying to dissemble the gun so yeah my hands can be really weak ...
    Thanks in advance.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I have a subcompact Beretta px4 9mm for about a year now, probably took it to the range around 10 times. The problem is, the bullets tend to get stuck in the barrel and the gun doesn't fire. At first I thought it's a defection on the gun, but whenever my father or boyfriend used it, it always performed flawlessly. The guy at the range suggested that it may be because I didn't hold the gun sturdily enough. I'm a female 21yo with not a lot of gun knowledge so anyone can validate this theory for me? Also, if it is true, is there another techniques that I can use to minimize this happening?
    Ps. I've bled my hands several times trying to dissemble the gun so yeah my hands can be really weak ...
    Thanks in advance.

If you have bullets getting stuck in the barrel, I wouldn't be using that firearm!

I assume you are referring that you are limpwristing?

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    First off, welcome and welcome to the shooting world. There is such a thing as "limp wristing" a firearm. Meaning that you are allowing the firearm to move freely in your hand. The semi auto works off of recoil. If you are not holding it tightly and it doesn't have a chance to go completely rearward, it will jam.

Try manipulating your grip. See if two hands on the grip of the firearm doesn't help. If that doesn't work, you may consider switching to a firearm that does not operate on recoil, such as a revolver.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, a improper grip or weak hands can induce malfunctions in many auto loaders... Some are more prone then others. I wouldn't know just how prone your Beretta would be though, but since the Beretta runs fine for others, I'd say that's what is causing the issue for you.

Being you are fairly new to shooting, I'd guess it more likely it's due to an improper grip. Even if your hands aren't the strongest, a proper grip can go a long way to make up for it.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The problem is, the bullets tend to get stuck in the barrel and the gun doesn't fire.

Are the bullets getting stuck in the barrel or are the empty shells getting stuck in the slide? Get some instruction and be safe.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I worked with a guy today at the range having the same problem with a Glock 36.. He had a G-42 and a G-19 that functioned fine but his hand strength was somewhat limited and the 36 being small with more recoil than the others left the empty in the chamber every time he fired it. While it functioned perfectly for me he was confused as to why it didn't function for him. After a little explanation he understood but was still a bit unhappy that he couldn't get it to run. My suggestion was to get a smaller caliber or just change his grip and practice more. I'm sure he could manage it with a little practice but I do understand his frustration.
    If it's working for someone else that's more than likely the issue. I would imagine that more practice or a physically larger pistol will solve your problem.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    My wife had a similar issue with a limp wrist. This caused FTF's, FTE's, and a whole lot of frustration. We tried a host of different semi autos with no success. Finally we went to a revolver, and it was the best move ever. She is incredibly proficient with her revolvers, and has spent a huge amount of time practicing speed loading. She loves her revolvers, and is very comfortable with them. I am comfortable knowing that I have her to back me up if needed.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The problem is, the bullets tend to get stuck in the barrel and the gun doesn't fire.

Are the bullets getting stuck in the barrel or are the empty shells getting stuck in the slide? Get some instruction and be safe.

I was wondering this myself... considering she handed it off to someone else and it fired ok, I"m going with the shells in the slide.

And yes, from experience, a loose grip can cause this. Basically (using terms that my wife understands - apparently men and women communicate differently... :dunno:) what happens is this: The moving part of the gun is trying to move against the handle to eject the brass part of the bullet. If you don't grab the handle tightly enough, the handle moves at the same time. Then the whole gun moves back instead of just the moving part, and it catches the brass part of the bullet.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Also, OP, some semi-auto designs are more prone to limp-wristing than others. So, this doesn't necessarily mean you need to switch to a revolver; possibly just a different semi-auto.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Thanks in advance.

For a few weeks buy a Sunday paper and in each hand wad up one page until you can't. It will build up your hand and forearm strength on the cheap. Cheap because you get coupons with it.

MusicMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Lake County
    When I used to live I'm California a took a friend of mine from out of town to a local range. He had a PX4 subcompact that experienced almost the exact same issue. Unfired rounds would fail to seed into the chamber. I seriously thought it was a problem with my factory ammo.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    The ejected empty case getting stuck in the action is called a "stove pipe" because it looks like a stove pipe sticking out of a home. Limp Wristing as already labeled here is when you don't hold the pistol firm enough to allow it to cycle properly. If the slide doesn't travel far enough back, it will not eject the empty case, or not strip a new round from the magazine. Some pistols are more prone than others to this. If others shoot your pistol with no problems, then it is most likely your grip. A different weight bullet might help some as in the Kimber Solo pistol, it requires a 124 to 147 grain bullet weight to reliable cycle the action. It's good that you found the problem before relying on it to protect your life. You may try a heavier bullet before changing your grip to see if that helps, not as a solution but as an experiment. If it cycles for you then you should go back to whatever weight your father and boyfriend were shooting and learn to grip it in a way that you get the same results. As a bit of insurance, you might want to carry the heavier bullets even after you learn to grip it reliably for added insurance. A new gun needs broken in anyway, so it will be good for you to put a few hundred rounds through it to break it in and to get comfortable and confident with it. Never trust any gun to carry until you have shot several rounds through it and are confident that you can shoot well, and that it is reliable. I personally purchased a small revolver decades ago and shot it a few times to get the feel for it and it shot ok. I carried it for personal protection for a while, and took it to the range one day to find that it shot about half the time, a spring was weak. Glad I did not need it before I repaired it, my mistake, won't EVER happen again.

Limp wristing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[url]http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-ammunition-ballistics/180203-pistols-wont-fire-115-grain-9mm-bullets.html

[/URL]

packard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    I was wondering this myself... considering she handed it off to someone else and it fired ok, I"m going with the shells in the slide.

And yes, from experience, a loose grip can cause this. Basically (using terms that my wife understands - apparently men and women communicate differently... :dunno:) what happens is this: The moving part of the gun is trying to move against the handle to eject the brass part of the bullet. If you don't grab the handle tightly enough, the handle moves at the same time. Then the whole gun moves back instead of just the moving part, and it catches the brass part of the bullet.

Very good explanation 96.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If failures continue due to limited hand and wrist strength, dump the semi auto and get a revolver. They will go bang every time, and even weak fingers can open and close the cylinder for reloading, unlike a lot of slides on compacts.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have nerve damage that has caused among other things, weakness in my hands. It has come to the point that I can't even shoot my snappy little micro-380. The little gun stuns my hand for several seconds and won't consistently load the next round.

I have gone back to a revolver because of this. (That and because semi-autos are a perversion and an affront to the natural order of things!) Try a wheelgun if all else fails.

Top Bottom