Ordering my first 1911! Need to know what are the best mags to stock up on.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    So I'm ordering a Ruger Night Watchman, (Christmas gift from my wife). So what are the best 1911 mags to stock? Looking for high value. High reliability at a good price. Thanks in advance!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I primarily use Wilson Combat. I have read that Tripp Research are even better but I have no way of knowing that.
    I also have some Chip McCormick Power Mags and have never had an issue with them either.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Tripp Research Cobra Mags. Cost the same or less then a Wilson Combat 47D or 500ETM. These magazines are used by most USPSA shooters who shoot single stack division. I put rough 12,000 rounds through the 8 Tripp Research 45acp mags I use in USPSA competition and 3,000 rounds through the 8 Tripp Research 9mm mags I use for USPSA competition. Best place to buy them is online from Harrison Custom.

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/tripp-research-1911-magazines

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Tripp Research Cobra Mags. Cost the same or less then a Wilson Combat 47D or 500ETM. These magazines are used by most USPSA shooters who shoot single stack division. I put rough 12,000 rounds through the 8 Tripp Research 45acp mags I use in USPSA competition and 3,000 rounds through the 8 Tripp Research 9mm mags I use for USPSA competition. Best place to buy them is online from Harrison Custom.

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/tripp-research-1911-magazines

This^^^^^^^^^^

I have 6 Cobra Tripp 9mm mags. I have not run them as rough as Party Boy's .45 mags...but mine have been flawless. I have not owned any others, but I did handle quite a few before I bought the Cobra's. These just felt like the best quality. And so far, they have been proving it.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Don't buy a whole bunch of one brand - try different mags. Number them and if one runs 100% buy more of that one. Your gun may not run with certain mags. The slide stop may not run with certain mags. The tolerances of production guns can vary quite a bit. All of my guns run 100% with McCormick Shooting Stars. Tripp mags are very high quality. Wilson 47s run 100% in my wife's Springfield but not in my Springfield. If you find a mag that feeds 100% but maybe doesn't lock the slide on empty don't sweat it too much - the slide stop can be modified or changed.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Ok. Comparing all three brands now. Next question....

Flat bottom or ones with bumpers? Again, this is my first 1911, so I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. Does it really make a big difference?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Well actually I don't think I'm wrong. All the standard mags are 7-rounds. You can get 7 round flush fit or 7 round with the bump. That 8-rounder I think would stick out of the frame. Somebody correct me? I personally would trust anything that chip McCormick puts out. YMMV

Top Bottom