Ordering my first 1911! Need to know what are the best mags to stock up on.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    So I'm not seeing "Powermag" anywhere in the description. Is it still any good? Does CMC make different quality level mags?

Yes, they have various different models. I'm new to 1911's as well, so I can't comment as to how good these particular mags are. I'd like to hear feedback as well since I'll certainly need more mags in the future.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have the old Pre "power mag" 8 rounders with the flat bases, like are on sale at CDNN. They have never let me down. I generally like flush mount magazines. When playing gun games, the rubber pad hanging out the bottom makes it easier to be sure you have a positive seated mag during a reload, especially if you are running a mag well on your pistol. The flat base McCormicks are pre drilled for screw on plastic base pads if that is something you would want.

I also have the "power Mag" style. They have never let me down either. The power mags have a slide out plastic base pad and no metal on the bottom. I do not know of any advantage to either design. As long as they work, that is fine by me.

My old 7 round factory Colt magazines have always been flawless also, even the ones that have stayed loaded a lot of the time for the last 25 years.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom