Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Mas Ayoob reviewed one of these for a Turnbull BBQ 1911. "This way the holster doesn't cover up a beautiful gun." This may not have been the exact holster but the same idea.

Custom Kydex Holsters by Green Force Tactical, LLC

Here is the company Mas mentioned. I don't see the transparent listed as an option.

My gut sez that this transparent plastic is a cousin to Kydex and isnt truly Kydex. It may or may not perform as well.

But to the honorable Ayoob's point, that is exactly what a good, classic, well made leather holster is for. If you have a lovely high dollar gun, (presumably in 1911) you dont want to enshrine it in cheap plastic. :nono:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My gut sez that this transparent plastic is a cousin to Kydex and isnt truly Kydex. It may or may not perform as well.

But to the honorable Ayoob's point, that is exactly what a good, classic, well made leather holster is for. If you have a lovely high dollar gun, (presumably in 1911) you dont want to enshrine it in cheap plastic. :nono:
    A clear holster on a nice 1911 reminds me of the plastic covers my grandmother had on her couch. Plus, a hard plastic holster would be tough on a nice 1911 finish.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    CLEAN thermoplastic > dirty leather.

Leather can, will, and does hold grit/grime/dirt that'll certainly wear on a gun's finish. And you can't get most of it out once it finds its way into the grain.

Get your thermoplastic holster dirty? You rinse it out and/or blow it out with compressed air. Then you're back in the business of not ruining your guns finish with the holster.

PLUS plastic/thermoplastic/polymer holsters don't retain moisture. Know what else can ruin a gun's finish? Moisture.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Prefer black kydex to clear thermoplastic. Something about a clear holster that just does not seem right.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    CLEAN thermoplastic > dirty leather.

Leather can, will, and does hold grit/grime/dirt that'll certainly wear on a gun's finish. And you can't get most of it out once it finds its way into the grain.

Get your thermoplastic holster dirty? You rinse it out and/or blow it out with compressed air. Then you're back in the business of not ruining your guns finish with the holster.

PLUS plastic/thermoplastic/polymer holsters don't retain moisture. Know what else can ruin a gun's finish? Moisture.

Truth. People always want suede lined holsters and are flabbergasted when I tell them it will tear up the finish more than a normal kydex holster.

Top Bottom