• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Truth. People always want suede lined holsters and are flabbergasted when I tell them it will tear up the finish more than a normal kydex holster.

My preference is molded horsehide. It's hard like kydex, yet is easier on the finish. It does not trap grit like leather does too, and it can be dunked in water without changing shape or how it carries a pistol. It's harder to find tough, and is more expensive when you do find it.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    My preference is molded horsehide. It's hard like kydex, yet is easier on the finish. It does not trap grit like leather does too, and it can be dunked in water without changing shape or how it carries a pistol. It's harder to find tough, and is more expensive when you do find it.
    Know of any brands that make horsehide holsters? Sounds like an interesting concept!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So-
    They're making naked holsters now.
    What's next, translucent guns? :dunno:

Closest thing we have so far.

85VTA-1.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    CLEAN thermoplastic > dirty leather.

Leather can, will, and does hold grit/grime/dirt that'll certainly wear on a gun's finish. And you can't get most of it out once it finds its way into the grain.

Get your thermoplastic holster dirty? You rinse it out and/or blow it out with compressed air. Then you're back in the business of not ruining your guns finish with the holster.

PLUS plastic/thermoplastic/polymer holsters don't retain moisture. Know what else can ruin a gun's finish? Moisture.

Plus, guns are tools. Even expensive guns are tools. Any gun that is used enough from the holster is going to show wear regardless of the holster material.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I think the point of the clear holster is that with a quick glance you can see whether you still have your gun with you or if you need to go back to the bathroom stall to look for it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Plus, guns are tools. Even expensive guns are tools. Any gun that is used enough from the holster is going to show wear regardless of the holster material.

I wish I had a pistol with a LOT of wear on it from use! That would mean I am shooting a lot! Especially gaming! My goal is to have my pistol look like one of Aron's. Ever see how much wear he has on his competition guns?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wish I had a pistol with a LOT of wear on it from use! That would mean I am shooting a lot! Especially gaming! My goal is to have my pistol look like one of Aron's. Ever see how much wear he has on his competition guns?

I try to never look at Coach's gun!

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I think the point of the clear holster is that with a quick glance you can see whether you still have your gun with you or if you need to go back to the bathroom stall to look for it.

I've never understood the "I have to take my gat out of it's holster to number two" people.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

You should have said something when you lived near me. Most of my pistols are well worn, I could have hooked you up. (And I could have gotten new, shiny ones)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Know of any brands that make horsehide holsters? Sounds like an interesting concept!

The ones I have bought were all from Kramer Gun Leather. This is my favorite:Leather Gun Scabbard ? Gun Holsters for Sale| Kramer Handgun Leather

This is from their FAQ:

Is horsehide really better for holster making than cowhide?

Horsehide is an extremely dense, non-porous leather. Until the end of the 1930's horsehide was the leather of choice for products that required extreme durability. The density and non-porous nature of horsehide which makes it such a durable leather, is also the reason that horsehide does not dye uniformly in colors other than black. If multiple pieces are crafted from horsehide and dyed tan or mahogany, there is a very good chance that each piece will have a slight color variations. Black will be uniform. These color variances are considered part of the natural beauty of horsehide and attest to it's authenticity. Horsehide holsters will last longer and withstand considerably more abuse than a cowhide counterpart. U.S. Navy SEAL TEAMS use our horsehide rigs for extended salt water operations. Cowhide will not stand up this kind of use. YES, there is no question about it, horsehide is more durable than cowhide. This however, is not say that cowhide doesn't make a fine holster that will provide many years of hard service if properly cared for. But, if you want the ultimate in holster leather, horsehide is the answer.

Top Bottom