Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Current Colt quality?

I'm finally back to a point where I can snag a 1911 again, planning on keeping this one long term. I don't need the holy grail but want a solid shooter! I've had a pretty wide range of them in the past and really liked the Colts. Anyone buy a new Colt lately, fitment good, good general quality? My lgs has several Colts to choose from, a springer range officer, a dozen kimber choices (custom ii tle) being my only second look there. And he has the ruger sr1911 tactical. But I'm not big on railed 1911s or stainless so. Thanks for any info!
    Improvidus Apto quod Victum

Bought one about 2 yrs ago, no issues!! fit and finish is really good. SUPER SMOOTH.My only issue is the plastic mainspring housing.

I haven't bought one recently but have friends that have.

A Colt is still a Colt. Quality is still there (in spite of what the internet says), quality control may be less than in decades past but that's a common complaint with most industries. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a new Colt 1911, though I'd suggest you take a look at the Performance Center 1911's from Smith & Wesson (yes - I am biased) or the E-Series for much less money....Kimber's are great. My experience with them is that they look tremendous and shoot equally well - as long as they are cleaned/lubed and shooting premium ammo. My next addition will be a Sig Emperor Scorpion.

I picked up a Govt 1911 in 9mm last month. So far, I've put about 200 flawless rounds through it and it's quite the sweet shooter. When I first picked it up, I was not impressed with the fit. It felt like it had been lubed with gravel but once all of those sharp edges wore in with a bit of shooting, it has taken on a really nice smooth feel. It does rattle though, so the slide/frame fit is not the best. The roll marks are uneven, but that's a non-issue for me. Colt still uses a plastic MSH and the safety fit is among the worst I've felt on a production gun. It clicks off ok, but when engaging the thumb safety, it feels like there's a piece of balsa wood stuck in there somewhere. Both of those will be replaced shortly, so again, not a big deal to me. I have not done a detailed strip yet so cannot comment on the sear/hammer fit. On the upside, the machine work and bluing are well done.
    Tim

I Care...Really

Mixed revues from people I know that have let another Horse into the barn.
    Things I have read and personal fondling tell me I will not have another one. At least not now.
    Series 80 nonsense. Fit/finish etc for the proud price points.

The Rugers I have had (and still have 1 but it is no way near as built) are OK but I still like the Springers.
    RO's are very solid pieces. The rear sites give some folks issues if the carry them.
    Look at the Loaded models. JMHO and I have seen a few turds come from SA as with any mass produced hand gun.

No more Kimbers.....ever.

Excellent thanks for the responses so far, I know he had a base blued 1991 government model in stock, a new style 70 series blued, and a few commander sizes last week. I wouldn't hate a combat model but I really did love the blued 5' I had a couple years ago. It shot very well also so I am not too worried about actual function. Wednesday can't get here fast enough!

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Mixed revues from people I know that have let another Horse into the barn.
    Things I have read and personal fondling tell me I will not have another one. At least not now.
    Series 80 nonsense. Fit/finish etc for the proud price points.

The Rugers I have had (and still have 1 but it is no way near as built) are OK but I still like the Springers.
    RO's are very solid pieces. The rear sites give some folks issues if the carry them.
    Look at the Loaded models. JMHO and I have seen a few turds come from SA as with any mass produced hand gun.

No more Kimbers.....ever.
    Appreciate the post, your 1911 knowledge is vast! I like everything about the RO except the rear sight, and I do plan on CCing this for spells. I have read a lot of mixed as well on the Rugers, going to pass on them. I'll most likely grab a Colt but if he has a nice Springfield I will have a harder choice no doubt. I need to grab some spare mags again and an iwb holster, here we go again!

I Care...Really

Quote Originally Posted by Fordtough25 View Post
    Appreciate the post, your 1911 knowledge is vast! I like everything about the RO except the rear sight, and I do plan on CCing this for spells. I have read a lot of mixed as well on the Rugers, going to pass on them. I'll most likely grab a Colt but if he has a nice Springfield I will have a harder choice no doubt. I need to grab some spare mags again and an iwb holster, here we go again!
    This is all personal preference of course. If you get the Colt I hope it treats you very well.\

Mags.....do not cheap out on them. Tripp/Wilson 48 series etc.

Plinker
    I own two current production Colt 1911s a Combat Elite and a Gold Cup. Fit and finish on both seems excellent. Both shoot well and have had exactly one failure to feed on the combat elite and thats because i limp wristed it i believe. They are a better gun than a ruger, id go as far as to say they are a better gun than a springfield as well. Are they custom 1911s no they are not but they are a damn fine production gun.

I Care...Really

Quote Originally Posted by rennocneb View Post
    I own two current production Colt 1911s a Combat Elite and a Gold Cup. Fit and finish on both seems excellent. Both shoot well and have had exactly one failure to feed on the combat elite and thats because i limp wristed it i believe. They are a better gun than a ruger, id go as far as to say they are a better gun than a springfield as well. Are they custom 1911s no they are not but they are a damn fine production gun.
    Not to start an argument but I would class the Gold Cup with a TRP and the Elite possibly with a Loaded model in the SA line.
    All 4 are excellent offerings.
    That said picking your favorite Marque is a personal preference. Dropping this amount of Money on a pistol is not a casual thing for a lot of folks.
    I have personally had the experience of owning/modifying several Colts and the last 4 were just turds. You expect one occasionally from any manf. but 4 in a row is just not cool.
    I am to understand they are coming back a bit with the quality but also that they are not there yet.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast