• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I have a Colt Combat Elite made a few years ago. The trigger is a little heavier than I am used to at 5-6 pounds, but it breaks really well. I haven't put enough rounds through it to do a complete review, but so far no issues and the fit and finish is great for a production 1911.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I ran the 9mm Colt again this morning. That is a really sweet shooter.

What you said about it being pretty rough when you bought it had me interested in how it shot in.
    Thing is, leaving the factory that rough would have any Springer I buy apart onb the bench. If it looked any way near rough inside it would be under assesment as to what to do.

Then again, I would never have brought it home anyway.......:cool:

Glad it cleared up for you. I hope to see/shoot it soon.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It's funny, but I have not had the new 1911 apart yet other than to clean and lube it before shooting. I toyed with the idea of doing a trigger job on the existing parts but then decided to skip that work and will go with an EGW kit once the gun funds build back up a bit. With an extended safety, ignition kit and MSH, it will stand up well compared to any of my other 1911s, except maybe for the CZ and CCO.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I picked up a stainless Commander Wiley Clapp the other day. First new Colt since the 80's for me. This one actually ran right out of the box, I was impressed! The last new Colt I purchased that didn't need some smithing to run was a Colt Special Combat Government model. Back in the 80's I was just getting into competition shooting and I don't think I saw a Colt that could stand up to competition shooting out of the box without some gunsmith work.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Good to hear! Mine is running well so far, it's got good fit and a smooth action that's getting better as I go! Been doing quite a bit of dry fire with mine as well as practicing my draw and manipulating the safety. :)

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Ran a few mags through the pony last night, round count is still mild at 500 or so but it's starting to wear in nicely! 0 issues to date, using a good mix of colt,wilson,chip mc mags, mostly 230 gr hardball but some 230 gr HP's as well. Love it!

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Been looking at that new Colt Competition 1911 .45 ACP. The blue grips, meh. The blue fiber optic up front, meh. The matte finish? I’m up in the air. Maybe better off looking at an older model blued steel, walnut grips. I’ve got other 1911s but have always wanted a Colt. What say you all?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I pick up a Taurus 1911 at a good price. The slid fit was a bit sloppy. I sent it in to Taurus. Free shipping and handling and gun smithing.
    It came back a great shooter. Then I added very custom grips. It became a very great shooter.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I pick up a Taurus 1911 at a good price. The slid fit was a bit sloppy. I sent it in to Taurus. Free shipping and handling and gun smithing.
    It came back a great shooter. Then I added very custom grips. It became a very great shooter.
    Cross your fingers that this will be the only time you send it back!

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    It's no big secret that I'm a Colt fanboy, but yesterday tried my patience greatly. I just bought a new lightweight 38 super commander, and I decided to run some rounds through it. I had trouble with the slide not locking back after the last round, plus the magazine didn't want to drop free either. I had to take my finger and push down on the magazine through the ejection port to get it to come out. I was using the two crappy mags that came with the gun, so hopefully it was just a magazine issue. I'll grab some older Colt mags that work along with some aftermarket ones to see if that helps.

The other thing that ticked me off was the grip on the left side shot loose. I usually keep a small tool in my bag to fix things like this, but I didn't have it with me. No worries. I'll just take care of it when I get back. Fast forward to my bench, and as I was tightening the grip screw, I find the grip bushing on top was stripped. Now those need to be replaced.

In the grand scheme of things, a couple of mags and some inexpensive bushings aren't the end of the world, but when you pay what Colt is asking, you don't expect to have to deal with this issue after 150 rounds.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    It's no big secret that I'm a Colt fanboy, but yesterday tried my patience greatly. I just bought a new lightweight 38 super commander, and I decided to run some rounds through it. I had trouble with the slide not locking back after the last round, plus the magazine didn't want to drop free either. I had to take my finger and push down on the magazine through the ejection port to get it to come out. I was using the two crappy mags that came with the gun, so hopefully it was just a magazine issue. I'll grab some older Colt mags that work along with some aftermarket ones to see if that helps.

The other thing that ticked me off was the grip on the left side shot loose. I usually keep a small tool in my bag to fix things like this, but I didn't have it with me. No worries. I'll just take care of it when I get back. Fast forward to my bench, and as I was tightening the grip screw, I find the grip bushing on top was stripped. Now those need to be replaced.

In the grand scheme of things, a couple of mags and some inexpensive bushings aren't the end of the world, but when you pay what Colt is asking, you don't expect to have to deal with this issue after 150 rounds.

That does suck, hopefully it's just the mags, and if it's the mags I would call Colt and complain! They should be pretty solid for the $$$

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I have a Colt 10.5 9mm SBR (RO991) right now being held captive till the stamp comes along with a suppressor. I thought the fit and finish was great on that rifle. We will see how she runs in a few months.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is a well known fact that the prancing horse has faded with time. They never were fit up all that well but the metallurgy etc was there. I have owned more than a few. I do not own any currently and do not see this changing.
    No knock on those who own and love the Horse. I just see better options out there.

Top Bottom