• ...and so much more!
  • rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    I'm OK, my wife gave me mouth to mouth yesterday morning and I'm going to make it. :):

I bought my first Kel-Tec (PF-9) about 2 months ago, it shoots great and I really, really like it. I even went out and bought another (p-40) last week. NOW comes the painful part...

I cleaned and lubed it and the p-40 Friday night, tucked them in their leather IWB holsters. Sunday I tucked in the PF-9 in the small of my back and went to give my brother a hand with his brakes. I don't remember sweating that much but i'm sure some of that went on ;). Monday morning I got ready to leave for work, pulled it out to inspect it (like always) and it was rusty down the entire side! and I mean even slight pitting near the muzzle too! OVER NIGHT!

SO...

I e-mailed Kel-Tec what happened, they responded this morning with
    "The finish is not included in the warranty"
    which doesn't surprise me, they can't be responsible for people not properly taking care of their guns but OVER NIGHT?!

ANYWAY...

The do offer an "upgade" for 75.00 + 10.00 S&H for Kel-tec owners to pakerize or hard chrome the slide and barrel.

My Question Is: which is a better and more weather resistant ("cloudy today with a slight chance of back sweat) finish and is rust that fast typical? I own several guns :) and i've never seen anything like that.

Thanks

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    If you do that through them does it still save your warranty or what if you have it done through hoosier gun coat or nash gunwerx does that effect it? Both are ingo members and give discounts to ingo members

just food for thought :)

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    If you do that through them does it still save your warranty or what if you have it done through hoosier gun coat or nash gunwerx does that effect it? Both are ingo members and give discounts to ingo members

just food for thought :)

Hrmmm...They also informed me that due to backlog "we must exchange your original parts for those that have already been hard chromed. Please be advised that your replacement slide and barrel may shoot or act differently"
    ...and i really like the way this one shoots, not so much the p-40.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Oh, so it wont be the same they are just straight up giving you a new slide if you pay them for it? Interesting, ask them if it would still be under warranty, if not, use an ingoer :) they may make you a deal

When I had my pf9 I never had an issue with rust on any of the parts, granted I didn't own it long, but none what so ever. I'd just explain the situation and that you are disgruntled at the quality of their product, do you have the receipt to prove the purchase date?Maybe they can wave shipping or something also

send either hoosier gun coat or nash gunwerx a pm and ask them which finish is best you can chose who does it on your own :)

Last edited:

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    My PF-9 rusted but in a different place. On the handgrip the pins in the back part rusted. There is two pins and 1 rusted from touching my skin! I know that dosent help but thats just m experience also.

55spartan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southern IN
    man never had a problem with my P3AT, but I will keep a look out for it. You sure you didn't have some nasty mexican food that day???? LOL Seriously, good luck man and I would personally use one of the local guys myself and tell KEL- TEC that is what you decided to do because of their lack of customer care.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    hard chrome will last longer, but i am partial to parkerizing... i dont like shiny guns.... that said... why not just clean off the current rust... it cant be THAT bad... post some pics....

use 0000 steel wool and a little oil to remove it.... then make sure you coat you gun with a thin film of eezox and you wont have rust issues anymore

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hard coat chrome is definitely more resilient and rust proof. Although, as some other people pointed out, you will have a shiny, shiny gun then. Take that as you will, I suppose.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    OK here it is...
    KelTecRust.gif

The entire side was covered with red rust and after i wiped it off you can see the damage at the muzzle and still some rust in the finger grooves on the slide.
    I did talk to Kel-tec again today and the service supervisor was out sick but Sharron told me they were out of replacement hard chromed slides but it should not have rusted like that and they would reblue it or replace it if i wanted to wait on a new hard chromed one or a parkerized one. All in All, I can't really ask for any better offer from a company. It just blows my mind that it rusted that fast and that badly. I showed it to a buddy Friday who was going to get one and he couldn't believe it yesterday when he saw this. I'll bet i've sold 4-5 of these for Kel-tec and now i'm hoping I didn't steer them wrong :xmad: FYI I have been using CLP for years. I am so frickin bummed over this.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Parked P3AT here. Carried in hot weather A LOT. I sweat a lot. (I'll leave the crop dusting to another thread.) No rust.

Now sand? Don't get ANY sand near those buggers. Bad, bad, bad news for the trigger/sear as well as the mag.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Sweat.

Maybe its a combintaion of your body chemistry and the type of material used on the firearm. I can change guitar strings, and after 2 hours of playing, they are already rusting, and other people I know can keep the same type slick for days. I Have one of those weird chemestries that cause things to rust fast.

Milsurp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Indy
    Haven't had a problem with my hard chrome p3AT. It's an industrial hard chrome finish, not a pimp finish, so it has a matte surface and is not shiny at all. Doesn't get scratched either.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I'm glad that they will take care of it for you. In the future, don't store your gun in a leather holster. The leather will retain moisture along with the salts and acid from sweat. Even so, that should not have happened over night. What are you using as a rust inhibitor? Rig and Renaissance wax both work well. If you like the protection of hard chrome but don't want something that looks like a pimp gun, or Don's trade in, (sorry that was redundant wasn't it), take a look at nickel on a bead blasted slide. It looks more like stainless steel IMO.

holejack1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    South West Indiana
    I like KT guns, but I've seen several that have been cc'd that had very little of the finish left due to rusting in the crack of someone's sweaty arse. Of course all blued guns will rust, but the KTs seem to rust very easily. Oh the other hand, I've never seen a rustly Glock, even ones wiht years of wear on thise. I wish I knew where I could get a couple of my guns coated with something like Glock's "tenifer" coating.

Top Bottom