GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    REVIEW: 5.11 Tactical 50030 ThumbDrive Holster
    I purchased the holster looking for a more comfortable alternative to IWB. I’ve been using a Don Hume IWB for the better part of 12 years. I also wanted to move over to the dark side and OC. Moving my Glock to OWB posed a new concern for me, retention. I decided that active retention was the way to go.

I looked at several different brands including Safariland and Blackhawk. I really like leather holsters, but don’t like the thumb snap retention. It just seems clumsy to me. I decided on the 5.11 Tactical ThumbDrive. I’m a big guy, and I liked the flexibility of the 5.11. I like how the thumb release has a guard, which is can be removed if desired.

Cost: $59.99 + tax

Packaging: Lightweight vinyl, with zipper.

picture.php

Accessories: Paddle and belt slide. **Both are adjustable for belt width and cant. Removable guard for the thumb release.
    Also available: 50029 ThumbDrive Thigh Rig

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

First impression: Well made, solid construction. With it being polymer, I was expecting the typical injection mold seams, none were to be found.

I called Steven R. Jenkins Company on the east side of Indy, told them what I was looking for, and they put two holsters in the back, until I could make it in a couple of days later. Went in Friday 2/8/12, and purchased in time for the rally downtown.

I’m always a little concerned with changing the way I carry. How will it affect my ability to draw? What are the motions? Will I be able to access my firearm? I must say this holster is very comfortable and ergonomic, after about an hour walking around downtown I almost forgot I was carrying. The draw, motions, and access are all on par or better than the IWB holster.

I like the audible click of the retainer when holstering the gun. The holster sits close enough to my body that it doesn't catch on walls or furniture, it could allow for CC with a long shirt or jacket.

After a full week of carry, I have no complaints about this holster except, I should have bought one sooner.

Original thread here: ingunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/273435-review_5_11_tactical_50030_thumbdrive_holster.html

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom