• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What date should the MAY 2011 MEET & SHOOT be on?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Where:
    Winamac Fish and Wildlife Area
    Rifle/Shotgun/Handgun Range @ the 25' yard Range
    CR 200W, Winamac, Pulaski, IN 46996
    .25 mile north of CR 500N
    (574) 946-4422

Shooting and shotgun range hours:
    (Eastern Standard Time Hours)
    September - March
    8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
    (7:00 AM to 4:00 PM Central Standard Time, ie. Chicago time)

April - August
    8:00 AM to 7:00 PM
    (7:00 AM to 6:00 PM Central Standard Time, ie. Chicago time)

PDF Map: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw_Winamac_map.pdf
    The range is right above circle #4 on the map.
    You can see it from the side of the road. DO NOT follow the sign for the SKEET RANGE that goes EAST INTO the park.

How To Get There (Version 1):
    From the Griffith/Highland, IN area
    1) Take US 30 EAST
    2) Take RT 39 SOUTH
    3) Take RT 10 EAST

Now either
    4) Take Co. Rd 800 N (gravel road) which will become Co. Rd. N. 200 W SOUTH & you will see the range on your left hand side
    or
    4) Take US 35 SOUTH
    5) Take C. Rd 500 N WEST
    6) Take Co. Rd. 200 W NORTH (gravel road) & you will see the range on your right hand side.

How To Get There (Version 2: AKA For "You people" Bill B's Version)
    From Hammond/Highland/Munster/whatever:
    1) Go East on route 30, toward Valpo to route 39.
    [From I-65 it is 31.7 (+/- a couple of tenths) miles]
    [From route 49 in Valpo it is 16 miles.]

2) Turn South on 39. Go 21.1 miles (again +/-) to county road 500 north. During this time 39 will take you through North Judson and you'll have to make a couple of turns, don't panic, just follow the signs for 39. Shortly after passing through North Judson you will cross into Pulaski County.

3) Turn East on 500N. Go 6.9 miles to 200W

4) Go North on 200W for 4/10 of a mile
    You're there

When:
    TBD via Poll
    Time: 10AM CST (Chicago Time)

For those of you who have not been to Winamac range please see these AAR:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/943648-post67.html
    and
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_e...on_report.html
    and
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_e...d_shoot-8.html

Here is an image of what the 25' yard looks like:
    http://www.majhost.com/gallery/jediagh/guns/nwi-ingo/nwi-ingo_05-outing_001.jpg

Attendance: NUMBER ATTENDING AS OF 26 MAY 11 = 10
    Jediagh
    geronimojoe85 + gf
    groovatron + 1
    451_Detonics
    Jeff W + son
    gmercer308 + 1

---
    MAYBYE

Equipment:
    Handguns
    1911 5" Barrel [.45 ACP] (Jediagh: Please bring ammo)
    Ruger MK III [.22LR] (Jediagh will have ammo)
    S&W Revolver [.22LR] (Jediagh will have ammo)
    Colt huntsman [.22] (geronimojoe85 will have ammo)
    S&W bodyguard [38 special] (geronimojoe85 will have ammo)
    S&W model 66 [357 mag] (geronimojoe85 will have ammo)
    S&W model 39-2 [9mm] (geronimojoe85 will have ammo)
    Kel Tec PF-9 [.22LR]* (451_detonics)
    *conversion kit so you can use .22LR ammo
    M&P 15-22p [.22LR] (Jeff W will have ammo)
    SR-9
    [9mm] (Jeff W will have ammo)
    SR-40 [.40] [.22LR] (Jeff W will have ammo)
    S&W M&P full size 9mm (gmercer308)

Rifle
    Ruger 10/22 [.22LR] with TechSights (Jediagh will have ammo)
    WASR-10 AK-47 [6.39x39] (Jediagh will have LIMITED ammo)
    Colt AR-15 SP-1 [5.56] (geronimojoe85 will have some ammo)
    Stevens 66-b [.22] (geronimojoe85 will have ammo)
    Marlin 60 [.22] (geronimojoe85 will have ammo)

Shotgun
    Please note we can only use #4 or smaller shells on the 25' yard range. Birdshot is OK as well. You can use other loads on the 50', 100' and 200' yard range.
    mossberg 500 [20ga] (geronimojoe85 will have ammo)

Food:
    We are allowed to bring food (i.e. small gas grills) onto the range and use them in the grassy area behind the 50 yard or 25 yard range. Please only bring "finger food" as there are no tables or chairs on the range.

Donations of plates, napkins and cups are always welcomed. Our typical food items consist of Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Brauts, Chips, Soda/Lemonade and Sweets (Cookies, Brownies, etc.)

Food Items Coming
    Meats
    Pack of Hot Dogs (16) & buns [Jediagh]
    Pack of Hot Dogs (8) & buns [Jeff W]
    Pack of Burgers (16) & buns [Jeff W]

Sides
    Bag of Lays Chip [Jediagh]
    Cookies [groovatron]

Drinks
    Case of water* [Jediagh]
    Purple Kool-Aid 2 gallons [Jediagh]

Misc
    Paper Plates* [Jediagh]
    Napkins [Jediagh]
    Cups [Jediagh]
    Ketchup [groovatron]
    Mustard [groovatron]
    Onions [groovatron]
    Relish [[groovatron]
    Cheese [groovatron]

Specialty Items
    Melensdad's grill [geronimojoe85]
    Grill utentials [Jediagh]
    Card Table [Jediagh]

* Items from prior meet that were donated by others and not taken home with them.

Plywood Donation for the Range:
    DNR can only put new plywood up on Mondays. Our group typically leaves the plywood HEAVILY damaged once we are done. (Tons of shooting :D).

DNR advised that the State of Indiana has tighten their funds so they (range) can not always put fresh plywood up. In 2010 NWI INGO was able to donated plywood in JUL, AUG, SEP, OCT and NOV. In 2011 NWI INGO has donated in wooden post in MAR. The range master has been very thankful for it. (Suspect this has helped with us having a "food area" on the 25 and 50 yard range.) As such I would like us as a group to be able to do this again. The plywood must be full size 4'x8' in size ANY thickness. Wooden post should be 3" to 5" diameter and 6' in length.

NWI INGO Plywood/Post Person: :dunno:

This person will be in charge of taking the plywood/post to the event. Jediagh will either meet with the person before hand to provide the funds to purchase the items or reimburse the person at the event.

Current Pot: $65.59 (jediagh)

List of Current Donors
    ---

FAQ:
    What should I bring?
    Your firearms and some ammo, off course! No full-autos are allowed on the range but everything else (handgun, rifle, shotgun) is.

What should I bring (Non Firearm Related)?
    Here is what some members bring in addition to their firearms to help them during the day.
    - Folding/Camping Chairs (there is only one two-person bench on the 25' yard range)
    - Shooting mat
    - Binoculars/Spotting Scope
    - Small tool kit to adjust sights/quick fix firearm
    - Eye and Hearing protection

- Staple gun to hang the targets to the wooden boards

I see member "John Doe" is bringing his 1911, can I shoot it?
    Most members bring their guns to shot and allow others to shoot them as well. If you see a gun on the list you would like to shoot, ask the owner (post it) what type of ammo brand they like so you could use it. Some members supply the ammo. Be considerate of others and bring some more if you can so everyone can try the firearm.

What about safety after all this is a public range? I have heard bad stuff about public ranges.
    While the range is open to everyone typically what occurs when we go has been that we (NWI INGO) end up taking over the 25 and 50 yard ranges. This in turn has helped us to police ourselves and ensured our own safety. We setup a table with the "NWI INGO Range Rules" and just ensure that any new shooters we have with us are being supervised.

Do I have to shoot only from the bench sitting down?
    There are no rules for "how" to shoot at the range.
    You can shoot by...
    - sitting from the bench
    - standing from the bench
    - sitting cross-leg from the bench
    - laying on the floor from the bench

We have even shot the boards CLOSER than the 25 yards (ie. we walk up about 15 yards from the boards) as well when we control the full 25 yard range. We keep a few people at teh benches to ensure that no one is touching any of the firearms there while we have shooters downrange shooting.

What size plywood can we donate?
    The range can only take full sheet 4'x8' plywood in ANY thickness due to how it is nailed to the wooden post they have.

What size wooden post can we donate?
    The plywood is nailed to two 3" to 5" diameter and 6' in length post to keep them up. The 25 yard range uses a total of 6 post, the 50 yard range uses a total of 12 post, 100 yard range uses a total of 8 post and the 200 yard range uses a total of 2 post.

What is the cost to come?
    The range is FREE as it is a public Indiana range. The cost you will incur is for the ammo you shoot (most people bring their own) and for the targets you bring to shoot. FREE targets can be downloaded from the internet (see below). A couple people usually bring staple guns and are willing to share so there is no cost to hang the targets.

Bring eye/ear protection. If you can bring some snacks to share, if not that is OK too. If you have an odd caliber toy then its generally considered good form to bring extra ammo for that gun and share that but its reasonable to limit the amount of shooting if the ammo is expensive.

The group (INGO NWI) as a whole gives a donation of plywood to the range each time we go. The chairperson for the plywood pays for the plywood and brings it and takes donations from others for it.

I live in IL and would like to attend the event. Can I bring my guns as well?
    Everyone is welcome to attend. Winamac is a free Indiana public range. Please note that non-Indiana residents must have a license or permit to carry a handgun from either Indiana or another state that Indiana recognizes (see here for more info) in order to bring their handguns to the range. The IL FOID card DOES NOT count to meet this requirement. You CAN bring a long guns (rifles and shotguns) WITHOUT a license/permit.
    This is a rule of the Indiana DNR as they have been posted on the range.

Need free printable targets? Try this post:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/79176-free_targets.html

Last edited:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I'll be there with the girlfriend. She's starting to look forward to these almost as much as I do.

We will bring.

Handguns:
    Colt huntsman, .22 (will have ammo)
    S&W bodyguard, 38 special (will have ammo)
    S&W model 66, 357 mag (will have ammo)
    S&W model 39-2, 9mm (will have ammo)

Long guns:
    Colt AR-15 SP-1, 5.56 (will have some ammo)
    Stevens 66-b, .22 (will have ammo)
    Marlin 60, .22 ( will have ammo)

Also available if interested:
    S&W hand ejector, .32 S&W long
    Mosin m-91/30, 7.62x54r
    Mauser k98, 8mm
    Springfield M-1 garand, 30-06
    Savage 93, .22 magnum
    NEF survivor, .410/45colt
    Mossberg 500c, 20ga

Last edited:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Oh yeah, I'm still searching for a full-size M&P 9/40 to test drive. If anyone has one please please please bring it out.

gmercer308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Lake Village, IN
    I'll see what day this one lands on. I plan on making one of these this year!

geronimojoe85: if I am able to attend this event which I am hoping I will, I have a full-size M&P 9, that I will definitely be bringing with me.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I voted for the 28th as this is the best day for me. If I'm able to make it, my schedule changes daily, I will at minimum bring an AI in .308 along with a MK23. Also, my 5 year old mightvtag along for her 1st range trip.

She's got her own gear!

1e13d44d.jpg

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    Maybe for me... Dont know just yet what my schedule is. Nipsco went south at the last minute, but I am working on it still... Should be able to attend if it goes like I figure it will, as I will be back to work beating on houses all summer...

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    It's not looking too good for our hero this time around friends. The rigors and obligations of employment make it look like May is going to be a bust. I'll see what I can work out...

If I come, I'll be bringing guns with me. I never bring a firearm without bringing ammo.

Last edited:

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Sadly, I'm out of town visiting family during all four of those dates. Have great time, though!!!

P.S. If anyone wants to go to the range this weekend, I'm game! :rockwoot:
    Uh, oh...Jediagh is gonna come after me for getting off-topic... :D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Sadly, I'm out of town visiting family during all four of those dates. Have great time, though!!!

P.S. If anyone wants to go to the range this weekend, I'm game! :rockwoot:
    Uh, oh...Jediagh is gonna come after me for getting off-topic... :D

Well this thread is CURRENTLY in the general section so we can go off topic right now. It's when the poll ends and we get put in the EVENTS that we have to stay ON TOPIC. :D

As for you being out of town. :( That's 2 set of brownies you owe us. ;):laugh:

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Well this thread is CURRENTLY in the general section so we can go off topic right now. It's when the poll ends and we get put in the EVENTS that we have to stay ON TOPIC. :D

As for you being out of town. :( That's 2 set of brownies you owe us. ;):laugh:

TWO sets of brownies?! That's a lot of brownies. Maybe I can strike a deal of one set of brownies and some cookies? :D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well by 1 vote, SAT 28th MAY 2011 has won this time around.
    I'm having the MODs move this thread to the offical events section.
    If you are coming please post and what you may be bringing so we can start making the list (guns, food, etc...)

C ya all on the 28th.

Remember once we are in the "EVENTS section" we can't should avoid posting non-event post in this thread. Thanks!

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Here are some slightly less confusing (to me) directions:
    From Hammond/Highland/Munster/whatever:
    1) Go East on route 30, toward Valpo to route 39. From I-65 it is 31.7 (+/- a couple of tenths) miles, from route 49 in Valpo it is 16 miles.
    2) Turn South on 39. Go 21.1 miles (again +/-) to county road 500 north. During this time 39 will take you through North Judson and you'll have to make a couple of turns, don't panic, just follow the signs for 39. Shortly after passing through North Judson you will cross into Pulaski County.
    3) Turn East on 500N. Go 6.9 miles to 200W
    4) Go North on 200W for 4/10 of a mile
    You're there

Sorry Jedi, every time I go I get confused......

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    Could also just go 30 to 35, then turn of 35 on to whatever road the sign is on, then turn right on the gravel road by the cemetery looking area

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I plan on coming out to this one if everything goes right. I'll bring a couple of AR's and AK's and some .45's. Probably a few .22's too. My wife will be down south at a shoot so it depends on what she steals for her trip:D

I'll update later with a food item or two. Gotta talk to a buddy of mine to see if he'll come. We'll definitely bring something.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom