Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    sdh
    Plinker
    I just finished installing the skinners last night. I had to file quite a bit off the new front sight. I can't believe how much different it shoots now. I was keeping it within 2" at 75 yards on paper last night with my Henry 357. My best group was within 1/2".

Quote Originally Posted by sdh View Post
    I just finished installing the skinners last night. I had to file quite a bit off the new front sight. I can't believe how much different it shoots now. I was keeping it within 2" at 75 yards on paper last night with my Henry 357. My best group was within 1/2".
    For Every Action There is an Equal and Opposite Government Program

Plinker
    Que, i am pondering same question regarding my marlin 30AS. Yesterday I purchased Marbles Bullseye rear site for $15.99. It simply replaces the original buckhorns on the barrel. Since I refuse to scope my lever for deer at 50yds so I bought a .308 today.

Expert
    I always loved Peep sight till recently. Of course I'm 71 and my eyes have somewhat deteriorated. I was targeting with my Garand a couple months ago and facing the sun, I know I have a small cataract so may have been the culprit, but the sun caused a "flare" in the peep sight and I couldn't even see the front sight. I have scopes on most of my rifles and never have any trouble quickly acquiring a target, when I was young I used a scope on my 22LR for Squirrel and never lost one. That said for deer hunting I would either use a scope (low power / wide field like fixed 2X or 1.5 ~ 4 power) or open sights. At 100 - 200 yards open sights are pretty daXn accurate.
    Life member NRA - FFL -03 (Collector) life LTCH

Plinker
    Just ordered skinner peep and front sight for my 1894 in 44 mag. My groupings with the stock buckhorn sights weren't too impressive. Plan on taking my first deer with this setup!

I like receiver sights on a lever action. The only lever action I have was bought for hunting deer. I am much quicker with the receiver sight than I am with a scope. I use scopes on rifles that I plan to shoot well past 100 yards or punch paper with.

I like irons on my lever guns. The Skinner sights are nice, I have one on a 39A.

Dave

Master
    I am telling you guys that the scout setup is even quicker than the peeps.

I do both the skinner lo pro and scout but the low pro is for backup sighting mainly. Or if it is foggy or heavy rain /snow when the scope is kinda a pain. Heavy fog and scopes are worst than with the peep/

You still get the carry the way you want and what I like to Call them "Advanced Iron Sights". it is 2.75 power both eyes open and fast to get on target as any setup I have ever used.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4