• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Now I feel bad. I should have let you shot my 1894c with Skinners a couple of weeks ago. I like the look of iron sights on a lever gun.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    My Skinner peep just showed up in the mail.

I love peep sights.... easy to aquire a target quickly and very accurate. They are great for deer hunting.

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    Que, I have a Weaver 1 X 4 on my 44 mag. Its magnification is low enough to shoot with both eyes open but can run to 4X quickly for longer shots. . I just dont feel comfortable hunting with a gun that I can't stack them on top of each other at 100 yards.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Now I feel bad. I should have let you shot my 1894c with Skinners a couple of weeks ago. I like the look of iron sights on a lever gun.

Yeah, you should feel bad, especially after beating me the way you did. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My Skinner peep just showed up in the mail.

I love peep sights.... easy to aquire a target quickly and very accurate. They are great for deer hunting.

Jay, let me know the next time you head to MCFG. I would like to try it out, since Vert wouldn't let me touch his rifle. :D

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yeah, you should feel bad, especially after beating me the way you did. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

:dunno: Would not say that is necessarily the truth. But then again......:D

I do think the peep sights are a lot faster then either a scope or the factory iron sights. If you picture using your carbine as a plinker/brush gun you will appreciate the low weight and ease of the peeps. The scope on the other hand will be more accurate for hunting. It will also be easier and faster to sight in.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I just ordered skinner peep sights for my Henry big boy. Do you normally have to change the front sight?

I had to change the front sight on my Marlin. Go ahead and order the front. You will also need a good file.

sdh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    4 Corners
    I just finished installing the skinners last night. I had to file quite a bit off the new front sight. I can't believe how much different it shoots now. I was keeping it within 2" at 75 yards on paper last night with my Henry 357. My best group was within 1/2".

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I just finished installing the skinners last night. I had to file quite a bit off the new front sight. I can't believe how much different it shoots now. I was keeping it within 2" at 75 yards on paper last night with my Henry 357. My best group was within 1/2".

:yesway:

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    Que, i am pondering same question regarding my marlin 30AS. Yesterday I purchased Marbles Bullseye rear site for $15.99. It simply replaces the original buckhorns on the barrel. Since I refuse to scope my lever for deer at 50yds so I bought a .308 today.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I always loved Peep sight till recently. Of course I'm 71 and my eyes have somewhat deteriorated. I was targeting with my Garand a couple months ago and facing the sun, I know I have a small cataract so may have been the culprit, but the sun caused a "flare" in the peep sight and I couldn't even see the front sight. I have scopes on most of my rifles and never have any trouble quickly acquiring a target, when I was young I used a scope on my 22LR for Squirrel and never lost one. That said for deer hunting I would either use a scope (low power / wide field like fixed 2X or 1.5 ~ 4 power) or open sights. At 100 - 200 yards open sights are pretty daXn accurate.

Yukon622

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    brownsburg
    Just ordered skinner peep and front sight for my 1894 in 44 mag. My groupings with the stock buckhorn sights weren't too impressive. Plan on taking my first deer with this setup!

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I like receiver sights on a lever action. The only lever action I have was bought for hunting deer. I am much quicker with the receiver sight than I am with a scope. I use scopes on rifles that I plan to shoot well past 100 yards or punch paper with.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I am telling you guys that the scout setup is even quicker than the peeps.

I do both the skinner lo pro and scout but the low pro is for backup sighting mainly. Or if it is foggy or heavy rain /snow when the scope is kinda a pain. Heavy fog and scopes are worst than with the peep/

You still get the carry the way you want and what I like to Call them "Advanced Iron Sights". it is 2.75 power both eyes open and fast to get on target as any setup I have ever used.

Top Bottom