• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I just picked up a GSG STG-44 .22 lr at the local fun shop. I'm getting ready to do a field strip cleaning before getting it to the range. The weight of this is nice at about 9.7 pounds and is all metal except the magazine which is polymer. From all accounts i've read online, it looks to be a winner. I'll report back on it after I get some rounds down range.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I'm hoping it will be a good shooter. I read that setting the rear sight for 700 would be for 70 ft and so on. I'm not expecting superb accuracy but yet hopefully it will at least provide some descent groups and some fun plinking. I'm sure it will tickle some steel at 50 yards.

Since I'll never be able to afford the real McCoy then this will fill the gap for the cool factor. Definitely feels great in my hands. Hopefully i'll have some time to get to the range tomorrow but i'm getting central air put in the house so maybe by the end of the day.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I just ordered 2 more mags and a K 98 Mauser sling for this. The Mauser sling is 100% compatible for this rifle and at least period correct.

The installers just showed up for putting in the central air unit for the house so hopefully I've have some evening time at the range to stretch this rifle out.

Mikeshep1462

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Sweetser
    Very cool rifle. I personally wouldn't want one of these in .22LR, but very cool none the less. Can you even get 7.92x33mm Kurz anymore? Are they available in other, more common, modern calibers such as 7.62x39 or 7.62x54r, Etc.?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    No Problem, it was $588 out the door. A bit pricy but once you hold one you'll understand why.

I LOVE mine! I've got the K98 sling, too, and an extra mag. Mine won't feed the last round in the original mag. That's the only issue I've had, and I have one of the early ones. I haven't tried the new mag yet. If it feeds the last round, I'll ask ATI to swap the original.

The thing I like best about it is the weight and heft. It really feels like a substantial rifle. The stock is interchangeable with the original STG-44, too!

Now that I've read this thread, I'm going to have to go shoot the darned thing today!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Very cool rifle. I personally wouldn't want one of these in .22LR, but very cool none the less. Can you even get 7.92x33mm Kurz anymore? Are they available in other, more common, modern calibers such as 7.62x39 or 7.62x54r, Etc.?

124gr_fmj_bt.jpg

Yes, but only Privi makes it, and then only in one flavor.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    There's been one of these at Bradis for months. I've picked it up every time go in. But I just can't justify paying $500+ for a weekend bullet spitter. The only .22 I could pay that much for would maybe be a 10/22 with a bull barrel.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I've got easily over a grand in my 10/22 and to me well worth it. Mostly because of the nostalgia and quality of this STG-44 was the reason for the extra deniro shelled out for this one. It's just all about what something is personally worth to each individual. If it weren't for the build quality I wouldn't have considered it.

No discontent meant by my next comment but the S&W 15-22 was not to me worth the money so I sold it only a month after I bought it. Darn fine firearm accuracy wise and it served it's purpose but just couldn't get past the plastic feel and weight of it. The STG-44 solves that for me.

Top Bottom