• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    It's been posted a couple of times. But it's pretty clear that at least in the AR platform, brass is way better for functionality than steel. I've learned this the hard way and at this point, I've given up on steel in DI actions. My open bolt full auto upper seems to like steel well enough, as does my SCAR and my Galil, so I'll take cost savings where I can, but with Tula still running about $300 per 1000 and now Wolf Gold brass cased ammo running about $350, it's almost a no-brainer to spend a little extra coin and go with brass for an AR.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    It's been posted a couple of times. But it's pretty clear that at least in the AR platform, brass is way better for functionality than steel. I've learned this the hard way and at this point, I've given up on steel in DI actions. My open bolt full auto upper seems to like steel well enough, as does my SCAR and my Galil, so I'll take cost savings where I can, but with Tula still running about $300 per 1000 and now Wolf Gold brass cased ammo running about $350, it's almost a no-brainer to spend a little extra coin and go with brass for an AR.

+1

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I've seen a ton of these torture tests. There is a lot of them on youtube. To me if you want the savings just shoot steel. There is a ton of people who will tell you otherwise. If your rifle eats it feed it. But as was said above. If you spent $50 more on a case of brass and you reload then brass would be the only way to go. But I see nothing wrong with shooting steel. People argue it tears your barrels up quicker and it'll destroy bolts etc. Mainly barrels and extractors are the big concern. To me if your not reloading but you shoot steel you saved more then enough for a new barrel if it comes to that. But if your barrel craps out with only a few thousands rounds through it, to me it was not a quality barrel. (talking 1-3k rounds that's to soon for me)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I got this from a friend recently and thought it was interesting. Sorry if it is a dupe
    Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo - An Epic Torture Test

Interesting read, especially for a person like me. Just common sense would tell you the brass stuff would be better, over the long run. But to see a comparison of the various types helps to understand the magnitude of the differences.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I do agree that brass is better than steel in an AR, but honestly I've shot nothing but steel in my AR's for the past year. I have tons of saved inventory including m855 and m193, but I think I'll save those for the time that brass actually sees sub $0.45/rd.
    I've never had a problem but one time, when my extractor in one of my doublestars ripped the rim off the spent cartridge and it stove piped.
    I do know that the steel bullet's cause extra wear on barrels, but the cost of the rounds I shoot justify me replacing the barrel at an earlier time. Great thing about an AR, everything is replaceable, cheap, and plentiful!

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    On another note.. this is after 1k rounds. Oh my goodness.... :n00b:

dirtybcgsm.jpg

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    I have had my 2 AR,s since 1992 ,and they are my baby's. I must have put at least 7,000 rounds down range through both. Clean them after every 2 trips to the range,no real ware,no parts replaced.I will shoot only brass no steel ,collect the brass and reload. With all the free brass on the range ,it,s more then cost effective . Reloading is a little expensive to start, but more then pays for itself over time .THE HELL WITH STEEL.

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    It seems that this hobby is full of an older generation that cannot grasp the pros and cons of steel ammunition. I can't speak for how the ammo market was 20+ years ago, but steel is the cheap and plentiful way of supplying ammo these days. Brass has proven to be more reliable and less harsh on an AR-15, but at cost. Steel ammo is perfectly acceptable for range ammo. It has been proven in this test and others that I have read. Why do people get so high and mighty about it? The data is all there. I mean, everyone is free to have their opinion, but why spit in the face of the facts and stick to your high and mighty opinion?

I understand the need for good, brass cased ammunition with good bullets. Not advocating choosing Tul ammo in your EDC AR over XTP rounds, but come on.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I have shot wolf/tula on my M&P15x, how come I'm not encountering any problems? This rifle has shot ~ 6K rounds in the last 4 years, I recently change its rails to a free float and it's more accurate now (zeroed at 50yds). Am I missing something here?

Unless you are shooting rapid fire with 5K rounds in a matter of minutes then that's a different story, but to say that steel is not good for recreational shooters, is just plain baloney.

Yes, they're dirty, unless you're not gonna clean your rifle, that's your decision. I clean the BCG after 2-3 trips, swab the barrel after every trip and that's it.

I do agree that brass is better than steel in an AR, but honestly I've shot nothing but steel in my AR's for the past year. I have tons of saved inventory including m855 and m193, but I think I'll save those for the time that brass actually sees sub $0.45/rd.
    I've never had a problem but one time, when my extractor in one of my doublestars ripped the rim off the spent cartridge and it stove piped.
    I do know that the steel bullet's cause extra wear on barrels, but the cost of the rounds I shoot justify me replacing the barrel at an earlier time. Great thing about an AR, everything is replaceable, cheap, and plentiful!

Aren't the bullets made of lead that's jacketed or are you referring to bare naked steel bullets with steel casings?

Last edited:

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I have shot wolf/tula on my M&P15x, how come I'm not encountering any problems? This rifle has shot ~ 6K rounds in the last 4 years, I recently change its rails to a free float and it's more accurate now (zeroed at 50yds). Am I missing something here?

Unless you are shooting rapid fire with 5K rounds in a matter of minutes then that's a different story, but to say that steel is not good for recreational shooters, is just plain baloney.

Yes, they're dirty, unless you're not gonna clean your rifle, that's your decision. I clean the BCG after 2-3 trips, swab the barrel after every trip and that's it.

I 100% agree, and like I said, everything in an AR is easily and affordable to replace. So what if the barrel wears 1000rds more soon than it would with brass, the savings justify it, and a barrel change IMO.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I 100% agree, and like I said, everything in an AR is easily and affordable to replace. So what if the barrel wears 1000rds more soon than it would with brass, the savings justify it, and a barrel change IMO.

The barrel won't wear any faster when shooting steel casing vs brass casing. Maybe at the throat of the barrel but then again, that depends on how you're shooting them.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    The barrel won't wear any faster when shooting steel casing vs brass casing. Maybe at the throat of the barrel but then again, that depends on how you're shooting them.

Actually, they do wear faster. They proved it in the test that was posted in the OP...
    Steel case ammo, typically uses bi-metal steel & copper jackets opposed to a solid copper jacket in a brass case round.

Top Bottom