• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I've heard that steel cased .223 ammo such as wolf or tula is bad for ar's in particular. I've shot it but not quite enough to have the knowledge on how it could be bad. The bulk of my ammo is tula and wolf so I don't really want to have to switch over but I also don't want to destroy my gun. I also use Tula ammo for my xd and 1911 an it has seemed to function fine.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    While they won't hurt the rifle physically, I have many friends telling me that the polymer coated ammo has a habit of gluing itself into the barrel after a few rounds. I have had that problem myself with polymer coated steel case .223, but never had a problem with the lacquer coated stuff.

When shooting polymer coated .223, I always bring along a steel cleaning rod to knock out the stuck shell. They always pop out easily, and a little cleaning allows me to fire a few more rounds before the next one glues itself in.

And then I have heard of many people not having any problems with either polymer or lacquer coated steel case ammo.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I wouldn't have the rifle if it couldn't shoot steel. That maybe the only stuff you can find in the shtf case. Shrug.. The new stuff coming off the shelves now should not be a problem. Weather it is tula or bear or wolf...
    but alas the disclaimer. I have not had a problem in my own rifle..

marrell1482

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    NWI
    I've heard the same but the last time I went out I tried Tula with no issues. Only sixty rounds through a dpms though.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I think there is no problem here. Even though steel-cased ammo is steel, it's not the same type of steel that is used to make the parts of your AR that contact it. It's a much softer/ductile steel that can be formed into cases.

Chambers, bolt-faces, extractors, ejectors, feed ramps, etc. are much harder and will not be adversely affected by steel ammo.

In my experience the biggest problem is old or surplus ammo that has been allowed to get wet or stored in damp conditions. If there is any rust on the surface or under the lacquer or polymer coating, do not use it. Rust will definitely interfere with the operation of the gun.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    From my understanding...

Polymer coated Steel is ok to run. It will not "glue up" your barrel.

Old school Lacquer coated Steel is not ok... it can leave behind residue and "glue up" your barrel. This is where the myth comes from that all steel is bad.

Apparently most of the steel cased stuff on the market is now polymer coated and fine to shoot through your AR.

HOWEVER... steel cases are hard on your extractor and will wear it out faster, but if you count the price difference between brass and steel, then the price difference over time will pay for a new extractor.

NOTE... I am not an expert. This is just "my understanding". I run Tula steel cased all the time and have had no problems.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Our DPMS will not run well on steel. Tried and died. Had a tough time getting the spent casing out of the chamber.
    This issue has us never running any steel in any of our guns. Just a personal preference. The cost of steel over brass is the allure.

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    That is a lot of good info guys thank you for your knowledge and advice an that lucky gunner article was great and informed me even more.

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I've never had a problem with wolf or tula in my old m&p. I'd venture to say I've shot upwards of 4000 rounds with no problems that I remember. I think I had to use my forward assist once maybe.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    200   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I've never had any issues with my Sig AR running TulAmmo. This has been posted before but a nice, comprehensive report...

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

I have read this report before.
    The premise of the report is, they bought 4 brand new bushmaster's and ran 10,000 rounds of various steel cased ammo in 3 of them and brass cased federal in the other one. The 3 they ran steel cased ammo all had malfunctions at various stages, at 6,000 rounds two of the rifles had barrels that needed replaced.

I have personally posted many times not to shoot cheap ammo in your $1000 dollar rifle.

Last edited:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    That is with a non chrome lined ar...go chrome or go home.

Huh? I have a non-chrome lined Noveske barrel and will take it any day of the week over a Bushmaster chrome-lined barrel.

picture.php

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I have read this report before.
    The premise of the report is, they bought 4 brand new bushmaster's and ran 10,000 rounds of various steel cased ammo in 3 of them and brass cased federal in the other one. The 3 they ran steel cased ammo all had malfunctions at various stages, at 6,000 rounds two of the rifles had barrels that needed replaced.

I have personally posted many times not to shoot cheap ammo in your $1000 dollar rifle.

How many people here are actually going to run 1000 rounds of ammo through their ar? Let alone 6000+ rounds. They also abused the **** out of those rifles so I imagine that the barrels wore out prematurely. Plus barrels are pretty cheap and easy to replace so who really cares? They also show the cost difference of shooting the different types of ammo with new barrels included and the steel is still cheaper even after having to buy new barrels. Shoot what you want, but don't tell somebody not to shoot cheap ammo. Better they shoot and train with cheap stuff then not train at all.

Top Bottom