• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msgro22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    eastside of indy
    my grandfather just gave me his rifle that he had when he was a teenager. It is a wards westen field .22
    It has the numbers 47a 22-s-l-lr .. I have no clue any help would be great and thanked.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    It was manufactured by Mossberg and is the same as Mossberg 45a.
    Looks like a really nice rifle.
    harold-hang-s45a-1.jpg

model-L45A.jpg

K9stang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Southern IN
    I have one of those. It has been my favorite rifle since I was 10.My 11 yr old daughter just started shooting it a few months ago and loves it too.

Mine is very accurate. It was my dads gun when he was a teenager.

msgro22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    eastside of indy
    Would anyone know the age of this model.. I just cleaned it and oiled it up after it had
    Been stored away for more then 50 years.. I know that because he had it before my mother
    Was born.. Is it ok to shoot it... Action on it is smooth..

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Would anyone know the age of this model.. I just cleaned it and oiled it up after it had
    Been stored away for more then 50 years.. I know that because he had it before my mother
    Was born.. Is it ok to shoot it... Action on it is smooth..

Takedown, 22 lr,l,s, tubular magazine holds 15(lr), 18(l), 22(s). 24" barrel. Weight 6.75 lbs. Plain pistol grip birch walnut finished stock, 1.25" swivels. (45A) No. 1A front ramp sight, No. 2 rear sight, No. 3 receiver sight. (L45AC) No. 1A ramp front sight, No. 2 rear sight, left hand No. 3 receiver sight, (45AC) No. S138 front sight, No. 2 rear sight. Made 1937-1938

As long as the barrel has no obstructions and is straight, it is safe to shoot. I would suggest wearing safety glasses in case the bolt doesn't lock down tight and some of the gases blow by. Being a 22, it is more than likely a good solid rifle as long as it doesn't show signs of abuse. Do you have any pics of the rifle that you have?:popcorn:
    I appear to live close to you and would be happy to look at the rifle and talk more about it if you would like. I have some 22 shorts that we could put through it to test the shooting ability of the rifle. I sent you a PM with my cell number.

Last edited:

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Based on your picture it is Mossberg 46A

I found this based on the photo.

Model 46 Bolt action repeater.

Takedown, 22 lr,l,s; tubular magazine, 15(lr), 18(l), 22(s). 26" barrel. Weight 7.5 lbs. Pistol grip walnut stock with cheekpiece, full beavertail forearm, 1.25" swivels. Chrome plated bolt, handle and trigger. No. S106 ramp front sight, No. 4 receiver sight with 4A four hole aperture. Made 1935-1937. Exploded View
    Model 46A/46AC/46A-LS/L46A-LS Bolt action repeaters.

Takedown, 22 lr,l,s; tubular magazine 15(lr), 18(l), 22(s). 26" barrel. Weight 7.25 lbs. Pistol grip walnut oil finished stock with cheekpiece and beavertail forearm made to NRA specifications, quick detachable swivels. (46A) No. 1A ramp front sight, No. 2 rear sight, No. 4 receiver sight with 4A four hole aperture. (46AC) No. 1A ramp front sight, No. 4 receiver sight with 4A four hole aperture. (46A-LS) Lyman No. 17A globe front sight, No. 2 rear sight, Lyman No. 57MS receiver sight. (L46A-LS) Lyman No. 17A globe front sight, No. 2 rear sight, Lyman No. 57MS receiver sight with left hand adapter. Made 1937-1938. Exploded View Special thanks to Mossbergman for the superb photo's of the L46A-LS!

msgro22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    eastside of indy
    Ok I see what I was thinking compared to what u guys are
    Saying.. Did some cross references and found out that u are
    Right about being a mossburg 45a..... Made for Wards as there
    No.47a......... Now I getch ya...

Thanks to all who helped me with this ... Going to shot it at atturbery this weekend.

pbook1952

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    Its a great gun, I have my grandfathers. I completly refinished it and it looks great. i think he told me that he got the gun in 1942. Mossburg parts interchange. I have had some trouble finding clips for it though.

GBruck50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Thanks for the info Wards Western Field .22 rifle

My father passed away several years ago and I got his Wards Western Field 47A .22 rifle. I seriously doubted I would ever find any info about it but finally decided to do a search. Amazing! I started using the rifle when I was around 12 years old I think. We lived in the country with 10 acres of land. I would wake up in the morning and jump toward my bedroom window scanning the backyard for gophers. Accuracy was great, even using open sights. Many gophers and rats at the township dump were dispatched. My father had it repaired one time that I know of. I was with some friends and getting ready to shoot a red squirrel. As soon as I closed the bolt the round would fire. Fortunately I always followed the safety rule of never pointing the rifle at anyone. After that was fixed it has been working great ever since. Someone told me they thought the rifle would be worth a lot of money since it was so old. I told them I doubted that very much, not being a well known brand name and it does have a lot of wear. I would never sell it anyway.:rockwoot:

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Nice

I have the lever action m865 identical to Winchester's "palamino"
    mines fun to shoot and very very accurate.

Mossberg made the Palimino not winchester......So you have another wards western field rifle made by mossberg. Sears mountgomery wards, western auto and JC Pennies all had there own rifles lines made by others in the day/

It was called the model 400 or in the carbine version the model 402. Palimino made 1959-1969 and 1961 to 1971 respectively.

Just because it is a lever action does not mean it is a winchester or marlin.

The palimino was very popular in the day's of the afternoon TV cowboy's and cowboy movies and might have been one of mossburgs finest along with the Plinkster auto the model 46 and the model 44US target rifle.

Not a big fan of the mosburgs newer line up but back in the day they were a nice little rifle.

If a remark model 46 it was one of the best selling of the mossberg models. Depending on model number it could be from as early as 1935 to as late as 1952.

GBruck50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Photos of my Ward Western Field 49A

Got some photos taken of my Wards Western Field 47A passed down to me when my father passed away. A relative thought I got a valuable antique and should pay to get the rifle. I told them other than sentimental value to me I didn't think it was worth much otherwise. Anyone have any idea of a dollar value for this?
    Dadrifle6a.JPG

Last edited:
    Top Bottom