• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    You should see what Bob Vogel did to the Ohio requirements. Double the distance 1/2 the time. Of course, he is not human

Some one needs to figure out what planet Bob is from, so we can make friends with them quickly, as to not get on their bad side.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Guys, Bob, Dave, Ben, and all the top GM's are normal people who simply put in the time and effort to get to the top. They are not aliens, or robots, or cyborgs.

If you are talking about Ben Stoeger then normal does not belong in the paragraph.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    If anyone thinks that shooting any range course will make you a good shot when your time comes I got news for you. Fwiw none of what was shown in the video should be any problem for any shooter.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    If you are talking about Ben Stoeger then normal does not belong in the paragraph.

That is funny
    I have a co-worker that currently works as a volunteer deputy for a local police force. He fired his weapon once before he had to complete the qualification. He passed with flying colors:dunno:

theblackknight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina

Yes Im talking about Ben. Normal isnt the word,thank you, because anyone who puts in the effort like he did isnt normal anyway.

BTW Ben just put up a FB to support his new book. If anyone should know what it takes to shoot at 95% in the most direct way possible, it's Ben.

and he's a big *******!:D:rockwoot:

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    BK, I think you are wrong. I can shoot baskets from sunup to sundown. I will never be the next Michael Jordan.

I can shoot 20K per year, I'll never be the next Eric Graufel. Wait, I do shoot 20K per year.

Not everyone who puts in the time and effort will be a GM. It takes quick reflexes, explosive movement (not that kind Jake) and pretty much the best hand-eye coordination there is.

Saying all you have to do is put in the time and effort does not count for the physical and mental attributes they seem to have.

Having great parents helps too.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Is there a link to the LAPD's claim? That would kinda help out, since the guy in the vid is "debunking," something. I'd like to see the actual original assertion that led them to make this video.

theblackknight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    BK, I think you are wrong. I can shoot baskets from sunup to sundown. I will never be the next Michael Jordan.

I can shoot 20K per year, I'll never be the next Eric Graufel. Wait, I do shoot 20K per year.

Not everyone who puts in the time and effort will be a GM. It takes quick reflexes, explosive movement (not that kind Jake) and pretty much the best hand-eye coordination there is.

Saying all you have to do is put in the time and effort does not count for the physical and mental attributes they seem to have.

As someone who has convinced themselves of this, I'd say you're 100% correct. Most people don't reach the top of anything because they can't, but rather bc they choose not to.

Telling a top GM that they are a GM bc of their innate awesomeness is really an offense to the work they've put in.

http://doodieproject.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=416
    Having great parents will No doubt help you get on AMU,but people naturally go towards what they are good at.

theblackknight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina

I picked up Ben Stoeger's new book, and in the "misconceptions" area, he basically discounts everything you tried saying about mystical natural abilities.
    if you want it , you can get it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I picked up Ben Stoeger's new book, and in the "misconceptions" area, he basically discounts everything you tried saying about mystical natural abilities.
    if you want it , you can get it.

So because Ben Stoeger said it that makes it factual?

Everyone walking around the planet has the ability with enough practice to make Grand Master?

Can we all run a four minute mile? Can we all pole vault an Olympic record height?

Whatever the goal it is just a matter of deciding to do it and then practicing until we get it?

theblackknight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    So because Ben Stoeger said it that makes it factual? He is certainly more credible then those discounting him

Everyone walking around the planet has the ability with enough practice to make Grand Master? Never said that,

Can we all run a four minute mile? Can we all pole vault an Olympic record height? Nice try with the strawman

Whatever the goal it is just a matter of deciding to do it and then practicing until we get it?

No, you are jumping to conclusions. USPSA is not a pure athletic sport. You don't need to be a top athlete to be competitive. You do however, need to be competitive. People with a defeatist attitude typically arnt. Some people just find it easier to self diagnose and enact plans on the most direct way to start competing at a high level. Others that paid more dues got there with a little more invested. The good that about that is these people teach classes and write books, and even start blogs and message boards for all to read. I know some A and M class guys that say the same things.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    No, you are jumping to conclusions. USPSA is not a pure athletic sport. You don't need to be a top athlete to be competitive. You do however, need to be competitive. People with a defeatist attitude typically arnt. Some people just find it easier to self diagnose and enact plans on the most direct way to start competing at a high level. Others that paid more dues got there with a little more invested. The good that about that is these people teach classes and write books, and even start blogs and message boards for all to read. I know some A and M class guys that say the same things.

"Everyone walking around the planet has the ability with enough practice to make Grand Master?"

Address that one.

Are you saying I have a defeatist attitude because at 58 years old and a solid Mid B shooter, I'm thinking I'll probably never make it to GM?

If making GM was completely a product of enough practice, we'd have a lot more of them than we do. Lotsa guys practice and train their butts off and never make it to GM.

theblackknight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    "Everyone walking around the planet has the ability with enough practice to make Grand Master?"Do you really expect me to entertain that? It's not a valid point. Some people don't have the hardware to do it. You can't shoot IPSC with one arm. Nor can you if you're completely blind, or you don't even like guns, or you'd rather be brewing beer in your garage, or playing WOW form 22 hours a day. Or you might live in a mudhut in afghanistan and you do a lot of "practical" shooting anyways,why pay the yearly membership?:D

Address that one.

Are you saying I have a defeatist attitude because at 58 years old and a solid Mid B shooter, I'm thinking I'll probably never make it to GM? I'm saying that you are completly correct

If making GM was completely a product of enough practice, we'd have a lot more of them than we do. Lotsa guys practice and train their butts off and never make it to GM.

simple hours-dryfire+XX,XXX rounds per year dosent automatically =GM

Sure guys, GM's are actually ninja jedis who dont wanna tell you that so you quit training with them bc you'll never make it. I knew it was a sham.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

What is your classification?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Problems with the thesis of the OP:
    1. Not all civilians participate in organized shooting sports. All police officers qualify. (regardless of the difficulty)
    2. Many civilians that shoot IDPA/USPSA still suck.
    3. Some police officers also participate in shooting sports.

Can civilians be better shots? Yes. Are they all? Not by a long shot. Another lame attempt at boosting egos of non LEOs by putting down cops.

Top Bottom