• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I am going to go with a big "who cares?" on this one. I am not an LEO. I am not particularly concerned about their training and qualification regimine. Even if I were an LEO, I am not sure it would change my approach to training. It is the responsibility of every individial to be prepared for what may come. Some people train harder and more frequently than others, LEO or not. I don't see the point of comparing the two populations. Individuals who want to train will train. People who want to do the minimum will do that regardless of whether they are a cop or an average joe with an LTCH. It is unlikely either of them will be there when I am called upon to defend my life.

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Problems with the thesis of the OP:
    1. Not all civilians participate in organized shooting sports. All police officers qualify. (regardless of the difficulty)
    2. Many civilians that shoot IDPA/USPSA still suck.
    3. Some police officers also participate in shooting sports.

Can civilians be better shots? Yes. Are they all? Not by a long shot. Another lame attempt at boosting egos of non LEOs by putting down cops.

No.

It was an attempt to bust the myth (and it is a myth) that cops are highly trained pistoleros that have attained levels of gun-handling/shooting that civvies simply can't. Read the post.

The media believes this stupid myth. Heck, even some gun-owners believe it. "Instructor Schmuckatelli was a cop with Podunkus PD for 15 years, he must be good! let's take his class!"

The OP points out that cop qualification isn't especially hard, and being a "qualified" cop means pretty much jack-excrement in terms of skill. A retarded monkey with a lazy eye could pass their quals.

"I'm the only one in this room professional enough to handle this Glock 40" BANG! :laugh:

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Rob, I need to buy you a beer.

I've had several cops show up to shoot IDPA matches. Some got DQd, some left part way through the match, none every came back.

When you have a lot of ego tied up in "cop-level skills" and watch some 50 year old fat guy kick your butt on a COF in time and accuracy....well, some can't handle it.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Rob, I need to buy you a beer.

I've had several cops show up to shoot IDPA matches. Some got DQd, some left part way through the match, none every came back.

When you have a lot of ego tied up in "cop-level skills" and watch some 50 year old fat guy kick your butt on a COF in time and accuracy....well, some can't handle it.

I <3 beer.

Competition sure is humbling. I qualed expert on the M9 in the Corps, and got all kinds of pistol specific OJT as an 8152 guarding a comms base overseas. (about 10x more training than the typical cop, btw)

I showed up to my first match thinking I was hot **** and was going to show all the old fat guys how it was done.

It really did not go as well as l planned. :laugh:

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I <3 beer.

Competition sure is humbling. I qualed expert on the M9 in the Corps, and got all kinds of pistol specific OJT as an 8152 guarding a comms base overseas. (about 10x more training than the typical cop, btw)

I showed up to my first match thinking I was hot **** and was going to show all the old fat guys how it was done.

It really did not go as well as l planned. :laugh:

You have redeemed yourself, now quit practicing :D

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    BK, I think you are wrong. I can shoot baskets from sunup to sundown. I will never be the next Michael Jordan.

I can shoot 20K per year, I'll never be the next Eric Graufel. Wait, I do shoot 20K per year.

Not everyone who puts in the time and effort will be a GM. It takes quick reflexes, explosive movement (not that kind Jake) and pretty much the best hand-eye coordination there is.

Saying all you have to do is put in the time and effort does not count for the physical and mental attributes they seem to have.

Having great parents helps too.

Eric Grauffel shoots 100-150k a year, and has been doing it since he was 10 (before the discovery of women and booze)....just sayin' :D

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    My dad used to sit on the LAPD qualifications board. He has all sorts of stories on the qualifications and lack thereof for certain members of the police force.

Top Bottom