• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    For anyone wishing to be accused of harassing those claiming to do nothing wrong, wish to be accused of stomping the rights of almost everyone on INGO even though you have never met them or were not there, wish to be accused of not knowing how to do your job because you didn't do the same things they see on TV, want to be the focus of every 10 + page post on INGO one way or another, and love the chance to be told multiple times that someone pays your salary:

Sheriff’s Patrol Officers
    Shelby County Sheriff’s Office is establishing a list of applicants for the position of Merit Patrol Officer. These are full-time positions and are responsible for the enforcement of the laws of the state and protection of County residents and their property. Duties include patrolling County roads, monitoring radio communications and responding to citizens’ calls of distress, stopping drivers for traffic violations, pursuing and arresting of suspects, and investigating traffic accidents.

Each selected individual must be certified or have the ability to be certified by the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy, have the ability to physically perform the essential duties of the position, be able use word processing equipment, and be able to qualify in handgun and shotgun qualification course/s.

Minimum qualifications include HS diploma/GED and Indiana drivers license. Applicants must be able to pass a drug screening test and criminal background check.

Interested individuals can obtain an application at the Shelby County Sheriff’s Department at 107 W. Taylor Street, Shelbyville, IN, or go to www.co.shelby.in.us/sheriff then click on “Employment”, “Applications”, “Merit Officer”. Starting salary for these positions is $31,580 with anticipated annual longevity increases for ten years. Closing date for submitting applications for these positions is September 4, 2012.

EMPLOYMENT ANNOUNCEMENT
    [FONT=&quot]The Speedway Police Department is currently accepting pre-applications for the position of Merit Police Officer. The Department is interested in establishing an eligibility list to fill future anticipated openings. Because the Speedway Police Department normally has more applicants than there are positions available, a competitive application process has been established. This application process is designed to ensure that the selection of new recruits will be accomplished in a fair and objective fashion.[/FONT]
    Pre-applications for this process can be obtained by visiting the Speedway Police Department located at 1410 North Lynhurst Drive, Speedway, IN46224.A pre-application can also be printed by clicking on the link below.All pre-applications must be correctly completed and returned to the Speedway Police Department by September 7th, 2012.Incomplete or falsified pre-applications will result in the applicant's elimination from the process.
    Please direct any questions to Captain Jason Dierdorff at (317) 246-4300.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I could be wrong but it seems to me like a call out for INGO members to put up or shut up. :popcorn:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    For what they put up with and do? Absolutely. Of course, for many with just a HS diploma that's pretty good.

For a profession that promote itself in the manner in which it does, a bit of higher education would seem to be a logical first step in qualifying for the position.

At the very least, a few credit hours in creative writing for some would be a step up.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I made $30k when I was 19 selling auto parts, and that was ten years ago. That is far too low a salary for a police officer.

The fact that the people gathering evidence and writing the reports that convict serious felons don't even have to be high school graduates is pretty scary. Someone who can't graduate with a diploma from high school belongs flipping burgers, not competing with college graduates for a police job.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Of course, like any position open today, you might as well add experience needed and education to the minimum requirements- more people applying for a job means better quality candidates will get looked at, those meeting the minimum will get a cursory glance and a file 13 destination.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    For a profession that promote itself in the manner in which it does, a bit of higher education would seem to be a logical first step in qualifying for the position.

At the very least, a few credit hours in creative writing for some would be a step up.

I made $30k when I was 19 selling auto parts, and that was ten years ago. That is far too low a salary for a police officer.

The fact that the people gathering evidence and writing the reports that convict serious felons don't even have to be high school graduates is pretty scary. Someone who can't graduate with a diploma from high school belongs flipping burgers, not competing with college graduates for a police job.

I find it harder to believe someone can make millions of dollars a year for throwing a ball in a hoop or catching a ball when members of the Military, Fire and Law Enforcement work for minimal pay. Additionally Fire and Law Enforcement face lay offs, cuts of benefits, and years with out raises.

That is the minimum to apply. Any applicant who becomes a full time officer in Indiana is also required to attend Academy training that last from 8-32 weeks (depending on the agency) and field training.

Sorry to say, but college does not teach you think on your feet, handle fluid situations and to deal with people. Some of the worse applicants are those with too much college. One thing a college degree does give you in Law Enforcement is something to fall back on if the career is not for you or when you retire.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Sad to say it but it is hard to fathom $30k-$40k of college loans to get a $31K job. I was lucky, I attended IUPUI when it was $90 a credit hour so I paid for it myself as I went. Now it is $300 a credit hour. My bachelor's degree earns me a cool $1k a year...SOOO WORTH IT.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

Very true. For what officers deal with, it is very low. But a lot of people want to get into it for the right reasons, not the money.

First, officers do not convict felons. They merely arrest them or cite them for potential charges. They aren't convicted until they go to court. Usually, they are not the ones collecting evidence either. That's typically up to an investigator. As for the part about people not graduating being able to compete with a college grad, it happens everywhere. I have a college degree in management and my manager at work is just starting to go to school for management. We were hired st the same time.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I wouldn't do it for $31K. Some would but not me. In this day and age you need to be generating about $20 an hour minimum if you want to marry, raise a small family, buy a modest home and drive a vehicle less than 5 years old. Even at that rate, you can forget about vacations that don't require a tent, college for the kids, a modest savings account, or doing much in the way of world class entertainment outside a single NASCAR race every few years.

If you're married, with two kids, and a wife...and all you earn is 31K, you qualify for an EBT card in a lot of places, and you can get Section 8 housing. It's not even $15 an hour before taxes, insurance, and 401K deductions. It's not a livable wage, it's an existence wage. You'd be better off working at Honda in Greensburg for about the same pay. You can bet your sweet bippy that the FOP will get their cut though.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    31k? Seems kinda low to me

Depends on the department. Some start a little lower but increase faster, others start higher and increase more slowly. Here is IMPD's pay scale:

2012 - Salary Schedule

Probationary Officer - $39,446 (Pay begins at start of Academy)
    2nd Year Patrol Officer - $47,651
    3rd Year Patrol Officer - $59,191

All pay is determined by the contract. Longevity, college, specialty pay (SWAT, EOD, Motorcycles), and rank increase it slightly.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I find it harder to believe someone can make millions of dollars a year for throwing a ball in a hoop or catching a ball when members of the Military, Fire and Law Enforcement work for minimal pay. Additionally Fire and Law Enforcement face lay offs, cuts of benefits, and years with out raises.

That is the minimum to apply. Any applicant who becomes a full time officer in Indiana is also required to attend Academy training that last from 8-32 weeks (depending on the agency) and field training.

Sorry to say, but college does not teach you think on your feet, handle fluid situations and to deal with people. Some of the worse applicants are those with too much college. One thing a college degree does give you in Law Enforcement is something to fall back on if the career is not for you or when you retire.

I have no problem with your point of the disparity between sports figures and public safety. I've been saying it for years.

The academy is fine, but it still doesn't teach critical thinking skills so desperately needed for the job. This is so apparent from the LE robots who swallow everything that their superiors feed to them about civilian ownership of firearms.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    First, officers do not convict felons. They merely arrest them or cite them for potential charges. They aren't convicted until they go to court. Usually, they are not the ones collecting evidence either. That's typically up to an investigator. As for the part about people not graduating being able to compete with a college grad, it happens everywhere. I have a college degree in management and my manager at work is just starting to go to school for management. We were hired st the same time.

Did you even read what I wrote? Where did I suggest that police officers "convict" felons?

In what jurisdiction are "investigators" not "police officers"?

Top Bottom