• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Did you even read what I wrote? Where did I suggest that police officers "convict" felons?

The fact that the people gathering evidence and writing the reports that convict serious felons don't even have to be high school graduates is pretty scary. Someone who can't graduate with a diploma from high school belongs flipping burgers, not competing with college graduates for a police job.

Is it the reports written that convict felons?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    It is a contributing factor. The initial report is what gets the process started.

Yes. They form the basis for the charges that get the whole ball rolling. The observations that the officers who arrive first at the scene are probably the most valuable pieces of evidence the prosecution ever gets in the vast majority of cases.

A good, solid report from the initial responding officers is extremely valuable, as I'm sure most of you who are LEOs know. Good report-writing skill is probably the most important skill an officer can have, and improving on those skills critically important to serving their communities.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Don't forget about the overtime, great health insurance, full retirement after 20 years (guaranteed with no contribution like a 401k) and the take home car.

You won't get rich being a cop but after a few years it's pretty good money.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yes. They form the basis for the charges that get the whole ball rolling. The observations that the officers who arrive first at the scene are probably the most valuable pieces of evidence the prosecution ever gets in the vast majority of cases.

A good, solid report from the initial responding officers is extremely valuable, as I'm sure most of you who are LEOs know. Good report-writing skill is probably the most important skill an officer can have, and improving on those skills critically important to serving their communities.

Well yeah, you can't write OVWI reports as "Saw drunk, arrested same" anymore, lol.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    It is a contributing factor. The initial report is what gets the process started.

It was a wise-ass comment.

Everyone should know that police reports are evidence used by the prosecutor to pursue a conviction from a judge or jury.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Actually, police reports are typically not admissible as evidence either. It doesn't mean they're not important.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Don't forget about the overtime, great health insurance, full retirement after 20 years (guaranteed with no contribution like a 401k) and the take home car.

The only OT I get is for going to court, until they start having night court.

Our health insurance plans suck. They might have been great in the past but they've been crappy the 10 years I've been on IPD/IMPD.

In Indiana with PERF you get 50% at 20 years. Max-out is 75% at 32 years with anything over 32 not doing anything for it. We do contribute a portion of every paycheck to the pension fund.

Like you said I won't get rich, but I make decent money. My wife doesn't work but I am lucky to be able to support my family on my salary alone.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Actually, police reports are typically not admissible as evidence either. It doesn't mean they're not important.

Every court proceeding that I've attended, reports are entered and used to support or impeach testimony.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    The only OT I get is for going to court, until they start having night court.

Our health insurance plans suck. They might have been great in the past but they've been crappy the 10 years I've been on IPD/IMPD.

In Indiana with PERF you get 50% at 20 years. Max-out is 75% at 32 years with anything over 32 not doing anything for it. We do contribute a portion of every paycheck to the pension fund.

Like you said I won't get rich, but I make decent money. My wife doesn't work but I am lucky to be able to support my family on my salary alone.

Its my understanding that IMPD pensions are based upon first year patrolman salary.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70

I am limited to 5 hrs of OT a week, anything over I may or may not get paid for. A few years ago I did not get OT, any OT I earned had to be taken back that pay week.

Not all departments offer take home cars, a majority do not allow the officer to take the car home until they have completed their probationary year. You must live in the county where you work, use is limited and a big responsibility comes with having a take home.

I contribute to my retirement and the municipality only matches what I pay in, to a limit.

My health insurance is great, but it gets re-evaluated every year and is the 1st thing threated to be cut every time there is a money crunch. I know other officers that have horrible insurance or have to buy their own. For an example, the State of Indiana is looking at dropping insurance for all their officers. Would you like to not have insurance with what we are exposed to and try to pay for it on our salary? Some will argue we have workman's comp for work related incidents, our issues don't show up for years sometimes and proving they are work related are near impossible.

For dedicated officers, your pay must not only allow you to make a living but also must be used to buy the equipment and pay for the training that is not provided by your employer. Sure you can try and take it off your taxes, but that doesn't always work.

Its my understanding that IMPD pensions are based upon first year patrolman salary.

As are most.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Found this today also. This is another really unappreciated and underpaid position:

Communications Officer

Shelby County Sheriff’s Department has a position available for a Communications Officer. Incumbent is responsible for receiving emergency and non-emergency calls and taking appropriate action. Gathers maximum amount of information and notifies and/or dispatches local emergency personnel using computer-aided dispatching system. Coordinates various agencies for on-call service. Verifies, enters, maintains, and retrieves IDACS/NCIC information for County and other law enforcement and related departments. Receives/transmits computer teletypes pertaining to criminal histories, driver's licenses, vehicle registrations, gun permits, runaways, missing persons, and stolen property. High school diploma or GED required. Must be able to pass a drug screening test and criminal background check. Hours are as assigned, 24/7 operations. Starting salary is $27,408 per year. Interested individuals should obtain an application at the Shelby County Sheriff’s Department at 107 W. Taylor Street, Shelbyville, IN. Applications should be completed and returned not later than August 31, 2012.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

NO OVERTIME AT ALL COSTS!!!! City insurance SUCKS, I dropped it and went with my wife's...much better. 20 and out ended a long time ago, NYPD still does it, we have a ton of officers with 35+ years on. I pay into my retirement, they take it out of my check, it is not a choice. Take home car...meh, I live in the area I patrol so even driving it to work and back isn't all that big a deal. But you are correct, it's not bad money and I LOVE doing it.

Top Bottom