• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Does anyone know of a decent place to buy silver in the Terre Haute area? I have been buying from a coin shop on 7th street, but I don't really know if I am getting a good price or not. He has been charging 32.50 per ounce, plus tax. How much above the spot price should I be paying, and where do you buy?

Thanks

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought silver from APMEX.com yesterday. :) I buy all my silver from them.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    What kind of silver were you looking at for that price?
    If it were Eagles or Maple Leafs, you will pay a small premium over spot, at yesterdays prices, should of been under 30 an oz.

If it is just plain ounce rounds, it should be spot price.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I suspect with the recent drop, many dealers are currently putting what they have into the safe...

If they are upside down in what they have, they often times either sit on it or will ask a considerable amount over spot to try to recover some of their losses.

2 151 INF

Shooter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    South Bend
    sometimes it can be very hard to find silver close to what its trading at. In South Bend the only coins you can buy at spot price are 90 % junk silver. sometimes that's not possible either.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Thanks for the responses. The silver I was buying was just plain ole silver rounds. Sounds like I may have to try online. I have never bought from APMEX, maybe I should give them a try. My only online buying thus far has been from NWTM.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Even APMEX sold out of some of their silver bars. Pretty unusual to see that but I m sure they will have more soon enough. Besides, silver is down half a point right now. Maybe its best to wait.

The other day while I was rethinking what was in my cart on APMEX.com I hit refresh and two of the silver eagle years I had in the cart were removed and had gone out of stock while I was reviewing my order. APMEX has an outstanding selection and if things are running out of stock on their website, it's because precious metal junkies are buying it up bigtime.

If you guys want to wait for the prices to go down even further I wouldn't blame you for that, but I bought mine thinking that in a year from now I'll be looking at the $23 an ounce mark and wondering why I didn't buy more. I'm planning on buying at intervals and if the price keeps going down that's fine with me. By the end of Obama's second term those who own precious metals will look at $23 an ounce silver and think it was an absolute bargain. Just my opinion though and you're free to disagree.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I may have to do more buying online. Maybe I am being too paranoid, but I like the idea of buying from a shop, and not leaving any kind of electronic trail. I view silver as more of a long term investment, so I will continue to buy, even if the price keeps going down.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I found some silver in a coin shop today, uncirculated eagles and a couple rounds.
    The shop only has 2 10 oz bars left now.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Even APMEX sold out of some of their silver bars. Pretty unusual to see that but I m sure they will have more soon enough. Besides, silver is down half a point right now. Maybe its best to wait.

I thought of that, but it seems to be hanging pretty close to $23 for the last few days. I don't see how it could go much lower given the industrial demand. As always, I could be wrong!

If you guys want to wait for the prices to go down even further I wouldn't blame you for that, but I bought mine thinking that in a year from now I'll be looking at the $23 an ounce mark and wondering why I didn't buy more. I'm planning on buying at intervals and if the price keeps going down that's fine with me. By the end of Obama's second term those who own precious metals will look at $23 an ounce silver and think it was an absolute bargain. Just my opinion though and you're free to disagree.

I agree 100%. By the way, I got a better deal at Provident Metals about 5 minutes after I finished with APMEX a few days ago. The selling price for 1-oz 0.999 rounds was a little lower and shipping was less than half!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I agree 100%. By the way, I got a better deal at Provident Metals about 5 minutes after I finished with APMEX a few days ago. The selling price for 1-oz 0.999 rounds was a little lower and shipping was less than half!

It's all a crap shoot in my eyes. When I first started buying PM's I looked all over and consistently saw that APMEX was right in the mix. I want all my materials to come from a single source and the APMEX name is pretty well known throughout the gold/silver world. I would bet there wasn't even pricing difference to amount to another ounce of silver in the shopping cart so I just go with my trusted source. I really like their website and it all seem to be pretty straight forward.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Wondering the value of the 1964 silver quarters. I'll be holding on to then until 2016 but between my father and I, we have maybe 200 of them?

Top Bottom