• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    My main carry gun is a Glock 22, however I also have a G27. I've been shooting about once a week lately and mainly using the G27. My theory is that improving my ability with the G27 should make a more noticeable improvement with the larger and easier to shoot G22. Does this make sense? Or am I wasting practice time and setting myself up for failure? I still shoot both, but many more rounds through the G27. I'm just trying to optimize my training time/ammo and I'm curious as to whether I'm just tricking myself.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I think if you're practicing the fundamentals effectively, the majority of those benefits will apply to any gun. Using the smaller gun may make errors more noticeable during practice and drive improvement in that way. Otherwise, I don't know that I think it matters.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Practicing and training with my Sigs made me a better shot with my Glock as well. Most things transfer over pretty well. I can't image that training with a 27 wouldn't translate over to a 22, particularly if the trigger and sights are the same.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My 27 has been sitting lonely in the safe. My 22 is in my nightstand gun vault with light attached

My 23 is on my side daily.

I have to agree with the method of training with smaller should improve the longer barrel and sight length.

Just the opposit in teaching my kids to drive at an early age (about 12). I tought them to drive in a 1979 suburban with a 454 engine out in the country when I lived in Alabama. Those girls can drive anything now that they are older.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    I'm on board with what BBIs said essentially.

I will add that I think moderately experienced shooters will tend to "tighten up", as in focus and try harder, when shooting a subcompact compared to a full sized gun. You're more likely to assume it's harder to perform with it, and may try harder as a result. This isn't a bad thing, just something to be conscious of and try to identify.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    If you carry a sub compact, you should train with one.

Last class I did, I used my 8 shot SW3914 (compact, not sub) and when we did the drill with multiple assailants it made me really think about shot placement and making every shot count.

But that's what I carry every day, I needed to be proficient with that gun.

Top Bottom