• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    I was wondering if anyone else keeps some sort of log when they go to the range. I keep track of round count, groupings, and distances. Just wondering what everyone else keeps a log of. Also, do you just use paper and pencil or is there an app? Every app or commercially available paper version I've come accross is mostly focused around long range rifle.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I use a rite in the rain notebook and a pen &/or pencil.
    Always a good idea to note any adjustments performed when adjusting sights!
    I only keep mine notes very brief but do find it useful. I use it for both pistol and rifles.
    I do not keep round counts it is more for how different ammo patterns and for zeroing purposes.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No way! They'll collect those things when they round us up and that's the type of information they'll use to sort out the big threats (like us) in the FEMA camps for extra punishment!

I just write the date and other data on the actual target.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    There was a time that I actually practiced and there were a few years that I logged drills, reps and times in a paper note book that I used for dry fire and I had printed sheets of drills that I would record what I did in live fire. I kept the live fire sheets in a notebook. I had a list of my best times and scores on drills. I tracked progress pretty well. Try to video match performance and use it to find flaws and improve. I had an online range diary for a while on the Enos forum where I tracked performance and posted video. I quit using the Enos forum after the Newtown shooting. That was about the last time I had a regular practice routine. I have every intention of making this a good winter of dry fire. I am not planning on keeping a log.

It was a lot of work and I am not sure how much value it had. I know I was shooting better when I practiced and I know that I knew my game well from the log.

I think having printed sheets for drills were valuable for live fire practice sessions. I had a plan going in and I had a stopping point in mind. The drills were organized so that different skills were stressed and what I believed were the proper points of practice. Plus I had times and scores written down from when I was cold and later on when I was warmed up.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I keep a log of dryfire drills and my current par times
    I haven't been practicing enough to warrant tracking things in live fire.
    I have good intentions but life gets in the way.
    It is a lot of work and can suck a lot the fun out of shooting.
    Maybe this year

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I used to keep track of round counts, maintenance, and repairs of guns in an Excel file, but it's been a couple of years since I updated.

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    Thanks for the great info! I just use a small notepad. I hear other people talking about how many rounds they have out of a specific gun. I was just wondering if everybody was that specific or just used a general count.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Thanks for the great info! I just use a small notepad. I hear other people talking about how many rounds they have out of a specific gun. I was just wondering if everybody was that specific or just used a general count.

Most people way overestimate how much they shoot.(and how well but that is a different matter.) I use a log book for live fire but not dry work.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have a pretty good way estimate how much I shoot.
    I know how many primers I purchase at the beginning of the shooting season. I just count the number I have left at the end.
    The last few years its varied between 4000 and 9000. That is divided between a few different guns.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I used to keep a paper log, but it got to be too much work and cumbersome to find data in. Now I keep track of a few set drills to track (lack of) progress. I also keep track of rounds fired from anything I actually carry so as to keep up on maintenance. A tick mark is 50, then I can tally and add it up on my sheet at home.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I kept track of the actual number of rounds fired. If it was a range trip, I'd keep track as I went. If it was a match, I'd count how many rounds I needed to refill my magazines after each stage. In training, I'd subtract how many I had left afterward from the number I had to start.

Top Bottom