• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Anyone go to the Appleseed in Evansville this past weekend? (11/8 - 11/9)

If not, anyone been to one ever?

Sounds interesting, but not for the faint of heart!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    after reading the website I really want to go to one. I found out about this one way to late, so Im hoping there will be one close sometime next year.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Looks like they have been held in Evansville and Wabash over the past year or so. Hope they have one in 2009.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Looks like they have been held in Evansville and Wabash over the past year or so. Hope they have one in 2009.

There will be shoots all over Indiana in 2009. North, South, East and West. Sadly, none in Indy itself, but otherwise the state is getting pretty well covered.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Appleseed is a BLAST! I didn't answer earlier because I want to give folks who were there this weekend a chance to respond, but I was at Wabash and also went to a "Mini-Appleseed" put on by usafe7ret as well last month.
    after reading the website I really want to go to one. I found out about this one way to late, so Im hoping there will be one close sometime next year.

Clay, the only "too late" is if you don't find out until late in the second day. You can show up the day of most Appleseed events and they'll find you a spot, though perhaps at a slightly higher cost (it's worth it)
    You can also, if you thought you wouldn't be able to go but find at the last moment you can, you can call (336) 879-2144 for a spot on the line.

Miguel, there's not one scheduled right now for IN in 2009*, but I have little doubt that that will change. Do plan to come to one, though. Two days of intensive rifle training and American History, all for 70 bucks? Unbeatable.

Blessings,
    B

*ETA: After posting, I saw techres' post. There are no shoots listed on the appleseed info website for IN for 2009, but apparently there are some that haven't made it to the main schedule as yet. I am pleased to have been mistaken. Thanks, techres.

Last edited:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I will keep my eyes and ears open! I have a buddy who might like to go, too.

I do not know how to sight a rifle, however. Assume that someone can lend a hand, if I get there and still haven't figured it out?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I will keep my eyes and ears open! I have a buddy who might like to go, too.

I do not know how to sight a rifle, however. Assume that someone can lend a hand, if I get there and still haven't figured it out?

You show and we will get you all squared away. Roughly half of attendees are in your exact same shoes. Don't sweat it, just come and bring a buddy.

There are expected to be multiple Appleseeds nearly every month next year as soon as the weather warms (or even sooner). Our Indiana training corps is growing by doubles every year and is a shining example to all the other states as to what one smaller state can do with a populace who cares.

And let me say, I am proud to make my 1000th post on this site an answer to a new shooter who wants to learn. You and your interest are exactly what we need in the shooting, and greater, community.

We will be waiting for you on the line,
    techres

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    And let me say, I am proud to make my 1000th post on this site an answer to a new shooter who wants to learn. You and your interest are exactly what we need in the shooting, and greater, community.

We will be waiting for you on the line,
    techres

:rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot:

You are a fine example, sir. Great job.

Blessings,
    B

exar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I heard about it but was too busy and poor. It was at Red Brush, unless they changed suddenly, which is a really awesome range. Heck, I wish I had the time to make the most of my range time while there, since it cost so much and requires volunteer work at the range.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I went this weekend, and MAN... was it an eyeopener! I always thought I was a decent rifle shot until this weekend. Unfortunately, I was unable to stay for the 2nd day, as I had some issues pop up last minute that required my attention.

I have to say that these are some of the most professional trainers that I have EVER come across, and if you DON'T learn something either on the line, or during the history portion... you really need to have your head examined. If you DON'T have fun... Well, you're just not human.

I will be attending the next available Appleseed, because now I'm DRIVEN to get my Rifleman's patch. Hopefully, the next time I will have the Mrs. in tow... and perhaps a few buddies.

I also am VERY interested in assisting with this program as an instructor, once I can attain Rifleman. I will be inquiring about that, as well.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Lots of good info here, thanks to everyone for that!

Now Ive heard the mention of "rifleman" a couple of times and it has peaked my interest....... what exactly does that designation mean?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Lots of good info here, thanks to everyone for that!

Now Ive heard the mention of "rifleman" a couple of times and it has peaked my interest....... what exactly does that designation mean?

That's "Rifleman"! (capitalized) :drill: ;)

On the Army Qualification Test (AQT), the maximum score is 250. To earn the title of Rifleman, the shooter must score no less than 210.

This can be done, depending on the version of the test you shoot, in as few as 8 rounds or as many as 40, fired at 25 yards, at targets reduced in size to simulate 100' (standing), 200'(seated), 300', and 400'(both prone). It can be done, but it is not easy. I never thought failing to meet a goal could be so much fun, though. It is frustrating to consistantly fall short, but it just reinforces my intention to improve.

At present, my best official score is 207, but regular practice will improve that.

Blessings,
    B

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I went this weekend, and MAN... was it an eyeopener! I always thought I was a decent rifle shot until this weekend. Unfortunately, I was unable to stay for the 2nd day, as I had some issues pop up last minute that required my attention.
    I mentioned at my first Appleseed at Riley, that I thought someone was joking with me. I ordered the targets from Freds before the shoot and thought there was no way I would be able to hit those at 82 feet. Heck, I could hardly SEE them at 82 feet. By the end of Riley, I could occasionally get 5 shots in the black 4 MOA Square (1 inch square at 25 meters.) During this Appleseed, it was rare that all five shots were anywhere but in the black. What they teach works. I finally ended my 207, 209, 208 streak with a 228. Finally a Rifleman. :D

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I mentioned at my first Appleseed at Riley, that I thought someone was joking with me. I ordered the targets from Freds before the shoot and thought there was no way I would be able to hit those at 82 feet. Heck, I could hardly SEE them at 82 feet. By the end of Riley, I could occasionally get 5 shots in the black 4 MOA Square (1 inch square at 25 meters.) During this Appleseed, it was rare that all five shots were anywhere but in the black. What they teach works. I finally ended my 207, 209, 208 streak with a 228. Finally a Rifleman. :D

Woohoo!! Great, Joe! That's the news I was waiting for from Evansville! I'm happy for you! Good shooting! :D

Oh and Clay? I was kinda kidding about that. Rifleman is a title, so capitalizing is correct, but you had no way of knowing that. I just thought the :drill: added on was a little humor. Don't sweat it, k? To answer your question, the training you get teaches you to do what Joe did with any rack-grade rifle and surplus ball ammo through iron sights. That said, you can bring any rifle you want, scoped or not, to a shoot and they'll not tell you you can't use it. You benefit more from the training if you use iron sights, I think, because you can always add on a scope. If that's all you know how to use and yours breaks, however...

Speaking for myself, my rifle is a .22 Savage, bolt action and mag fed, with a scope and no iron sights. I like it, but I wish I'd gotten one with sights so I wasn't limited to only the scope.

Look forward to seeing you at a future Appleseed.

Blessings,
    B

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    Congratulations Indyjoe…:rockwoot: I was there against the barn door when you got your patch before you left.

As I stated earlier, I had a blast. Appleseed was my first time shooting on an actual range as opposed to private property, and about the third time I had really put much lead through the AR we’ve had in our safe forever.

I wish I had been able to prepare better for Appleseed in both, learning the rifle I was to be using and teaching my girlfriend more about the rifle she was using (the bolt release on my 10/22 was giving her fits); however, due to living conditions at school it was difficult to even acquire them from home in time to attend.

I made it for both days and stuck around the center fire line to get in that last AQT, which turned out a little better than the one at the end of day one, and a lot better than some of the other’s I shot on Sunday. SilentWarrior1 is correct it was an eye opener. I was a little disappointed in how well I preformed, but I learned a lot. Thanks to the instructors. Armed with the knowledge of proper techniques and with some future practice I’m confident I can improve my shooting, my groups will shrink and scores will improve.

My girlfriend was only able to make it to Saturday’s, but she had fun and commented on going again. I also had a friend bugging my with text messages today curious about Appleseed, so in addition to my girlfriend I’ll have at least one more shooter, possibly more.

unforgiven1203

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Dayton OH
    congrats indy joe! 228 is pretty solid score! you prolly woulda had it at the last mini if you hadn't spent so much time messing with that mossburg! I'm sure you feel pretty good about your score. I really wanna back my score up so that I know it wasn't just luck (211!)!

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    This was my second Appleseed and after attending the first and not making Rifleman I knew I would keep coming back until I reached that goal. I also knew I wanted to help with the program as well and have been doing so in preperation for the Evansville Appleseed. After finally shooting Rifleman on sunday morning I volunteered for the orange hat. I had already let it be known that I had intentions of becoming an (IIT)Instructor in Training. I also had my entire family on the line all weekend and my son shot Rifelman as well on sunday. My wife and daughter had a great time and "want" to go to another. They both showed great improvement over the weekend with 190 and 191 and are also seeking the Rifleman patch especially the daughter.

This is a great program if you have yet to attend you have no idea what you are missing out on. The lessons taught can be used for any type of shooting and I have since showed improvement in my pistol shooting as well. I believe it to be the best teaching for the money involved. There are no egos to worry about as the instructors very much remember their first Appleseed and how they shot at first. There were several kids from our 4H group on the line this weekend and all of them that I spoke with were really amazed at the program and really liked the history given as well. I can say "The Guys" talk to us on sunday afternoon was so thought provoking that my kids are still talking about it today as I did at work.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Finally a Rifleman. :D

So the rumors are true! Good! I expected this of you and am glad to not be dissappointed.

I must say that I am really proud of how many of those that stuck to it and became riflemen, as well as those who will before long, are INGO members!

You do Fenway and Fred proud.

Top Bottom