AAR: Morgantown, IN Appleseed - 6/23-24/12 (EPIC pics/vids)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    banner.gif

I first heard of Project Appleseed about 3 years ago, right here on INGO. A couple of my fellow INGO Moderators were involved in the program, and so I had a basic idea of the program. Or so I thought.

For more information on the Appleseed program, please visit the following links.

Project Appleseed Home

Appleseed - INGunOwners

About a year and a half ago my Father lovemywoods attended his first Appleseed. He came back excited about what he had learned, and told me all about it. I still didn't quite get it.

If you've ever come across an Appleseed instructor, whether they're a Green Hat (Shoot Boss), an Orange Hat (Instructor-in-Training), a Red Hat (Line Boss), or a Blue Hat (support staff), you know they're highly passionate about the program, and can't wait to get you on the line with a rifle in your hands. I know many such folks and its like that with every one of them. So this year I included the Appleseed program in my list of training goals, and this was my first course with them.

What follows is a very brief overview of what occurred over the past 2 days. It would take me another 2 days of writing to record every detail and lesson learned over the weekend, so I'm going to stick to the highlights of the class.

For me this course was unique as I played part-host and part-student. It was held at lovemywoods' private range in Brown County Indiana, near Morgantown. The original idea was the brainchild of INGO Mod and Orange Hat Que. He pitched it to lovemywoods, lovemywoods asked me to co-host, and we all looked forward to a fantastic weekend of learning, shooting, eating, and fellowshipping.

In attendance:

techres - Shoot Boss
    ATM - Line Boss
    Brown - Instructor-in-Training
    philagothon - Instructor-in-Training
    Que - Instructor-in-Training
    Amanda - Support

lovemywoods - Host/Cook
    Mrs. lovemywoods - Host/Photographer/Food prep
    Kr_Treefrog - Host/Food prep

Students
    esrice
    OneBadV8
    DaKruiser
    HotPocket
    MontereyC6
    jblomenberg16
    HamsterStyle
    jrainw

Kristy (Mrs. jrainw)
    Rayne
    Slow Hand
    OEF5

Tiffany ('lil OEF5)
    Cpt Caveman
    TheJoker
    Courtney R.
    Brice R.

The weekend started bright and early (8:30am) on Saturday morning. After registration, we all gathered up near the house and kicked things off with a safety briefing and some background on Project Appleseed.

46908d9e.jpg

1c980162.jpg

567fd6f9.jpg

We were then instructed to load our gear in the ATV cart, leaving our bagged rifles for a later trip down to the range.

Walking down the big hill to the range folks were greeted with this setup.

c06d5e78.jpg

3961b5be.jpg

Everyone also noticed an array of Bobcat Steel targets set up across the lake for a 200-yard Known Distance shoot scheduled for Sunday.

4ba6b18a.jpg

20964180.jpg

Now down at the range, everyone got settled into their place on the firing line. Some brought shooting mats, some brought carpet squares, some brought yoga mats.

c7c6e572.jpg

e83b4806.jpg

Once mats were down, rifles were brought out, properly safe'd and cleared.

43e1e1d6.jpg

daca2ae8.jpg

db25f4d5.jpg

Each day begins and ends shooting a standard called a Red Coat. This gave everyone an idea of their progress and improvement from day-to-day.

cb4f6591.jpg

baa7e62c.jpg

12eb900f.jpg

47691d79.jpg

6827933d.jpg

After the Red Coats were shot, everyone scored and marked their hits, so they could be compared at the end of the day when we shot them again.

8853586a.jpg

a3fd9f60.jpg

After discussing the importance of the Red Coats, the Instructors then dove right in to the instruction portion of the day, often giving detailed explanations and precise demonstrations. Topics covered included sight alignment, sight picture, respiratory pause, trigger reset, natural point of aim, sling usage, shooting positions, zeroing, holdover, MOA calculations, and range finding (among others).

22746da8.jpg

3f0531ad.jpg

4ca6d715.jpg

fe053f75.jpg

8af630df.jpg

We then began to learn about the AQT course-of-fire, which we would run 5 or 6 times throughout the weekend, always looking to score as a Rifleman (anything over 210 out of a possible 250 points). This shoot-evaluate-learn-shoot-apply formula was then applied over and over again throughout the 2 days.

2a33b012.jpg

49c92af3.jpg

bac8aaa7.jpg

797ee4cf.jpg

29131ea2.jpg

e3126469.jpg

9d5bb868.jpg

At lunchtime, while everyone refueled and hydrated, we gathered under the shade of a large tree while we heard accounts of April 19th, 1775. Every instructor told their part of this awesome history in a way that stuck in your head, pulled at your heart, and ignited your patriotic spirit.

110ca5c6.jpg

1a9d0b2d.jpg

797dcc7e.jpg

b26fd903.jpg

On Sunday, two things stood out that weren't available on Saturday.

First, we were treated to some Known Distance shooting at 200 yards. While the AQT uses reduced-sized targets to simulate longer distances while shot from 25m, it helps to bring everything together while engaging actual targets at actual distance.

So it was time to head up to the dam and form a firing line.

569252a5.jpg

408b0ca6.jpg

90b0a4bd.jpg

3e2df01c.jpg

798ceba9.jpg

5eb2662c.jpg

7767bbc8.jpg

ed7adda6.jpg

94325fbb.jpg

The second thing that stood out on Sunday was the inclusion of a new shooter-- OEF5's 15-year-old daughter Tiffany. Tiffany's familiarity with guns had stopped with air rifles. For this course she shot a borrowed rifle, amongst a group of grown strangers, on the second day of a 2-day event, leaving her to catch up. I'm not that brave. :D

4e6812c7.jpg

In a move that can only be described as selfless, ATM handed over his Line Boss responsibilities so that he could work with Tiffany one-on-one and bring her up to speed with the rest of the students. As much of a character ATM often is here on INGO, his dedication to the Appleseed program and to young shooters in general was personally humbling. His patience and knowledge combined with Tiffany's persistence and positive mindset combined to produce one young lady that can ring a 10" steel plate at 200 yards on demand with iron sights. :rockwoot:

6db7900c.jpg

5f490267.jpg

66a00f56.jpg

At the end of the day Tiffany was awarded a patch specifically for those shooters under 21 that come out and give 100% effort throughout the day. I've never seen a Daddy more proud than OEF5 was at that moment.

8e68a713.jpg

e6835202.jpg

Other patches were awarded over the weekend for those scoring as Rifleman with a score of 210 or above (out of a possible 250). Including:

Slow Hand
    88c48425.jpg

jrainw
    0dfba7d9.jpg

Rayne
    44b21fcf.jpg

OneBadV8
    a613c697.jpg

One INGOer squeaked by with a score of 210. With such a circumstance, there is a special ceremony. I will let techres explain. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnPhFxCz_ms

Congrats MontereyC6!

ed5e8475.jpg

e2e6ae3f.jpg

As I like to do with AARs, here are a few bullet points of my personal lessons learned, in no particular order.

• Project Appleseed far exceeded my expectations. I'm now convinced that its the best value in training considering its low cost.
    • The weather, although initially predicted as HOT, was much nicer than expected. For that I'm grateful.
    • Not scoring as Rifleman was frustrating. I was consistently scoring just under the 210 mark. But using what I learned during the course has allowed me to identify my weaknesses, which means I know what I need to work on.
    • For the course I shot lovemywoods' Ruger 10/22 with Hogue stock, Tactical Solutions barrrel, Volquartsen guts, Huntertown Arms suppressor, Vortex 1.5-4X scope, and CCI sub-sonic ammo. The equipment ran superbly and allowed me to own my failures as the shooter.
    • Dinner on Saturday was awesome. From the smoked chicken to the corn casserole to the salt potatoes-- yum! A special thanks to lovemywoods, Mrs. lovemywoods, and Kr_Treefrog2 for putting it all together (even when it wasn't planned originally).
    • This type of rifle marksmanship is a departure from my experience with defensive carbines. Some things felt really different and awkward at times. But I took it all in and feel I'm better prepared because of it.
    • Thank you to all the Instructors and their families for taking their weekend to help improve the shooting skills of a few INGOers.
    • Thank you to my fellow students for maintaining a range that was safe and clean the entire weekend.
    • My elbows are sore.
    • Despite my efforts to constantly hydrate, I felt the effects of dehydration late in the afternoon on Sunday. This made both my vision and mental acuity take a dive, which greatly affected my shooting on the last 2 AQTs.
    • As tired as I was on Sunday evening, I didn't want the weekend to end.
    Keep an eye out for some "blooper" pictures and some more fun videos from the weekend! Coming soon!

:ingo:

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Another great write up Esrice! Thanks for the video of my 210 patch, it's something I can share with family. A BIG thank you to all the instructors. They all did a fantastic job at running a tight, but fun line. I will most definitely be doing another one soon, I want to turn that 210 into a 230. I know that by the lessons taught, practice, practice, and more practice, I can do it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok now for the funnies. . . .

jblomenberg16 hates shaving cream.

3dca2024.jpg

This young man had a broken selector. . . . .

57ebfbd3.jpg

. . . and an extra pin. ;)

6a5d302f.jpg

It sounded as good as it looked.

ddabaad6.jpg

Looks like techres is saying "GET OFF MY LINE NOW!" Glad he never actually had to use that face. :D

367178c4.jpg

No doubt this cooler belongs to an INGOer. :ingo:

73eefc91.jpg

Que swears he wasn't asleep. I don't believe him.

496fe341.jpg

Anyone who's been to lovemywoods' knows how fun it is to traverse the dam face. Its fun in any direction.

Like down. . . .

18f024cd.jpg

And up. . . :laugh::laugh:

35ee2fdc.jpg

.300BLK in full-auto, anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9L97HKLu9g

Or how about some .22 tracer rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIUcQ1OCLJ4

And the "Most Ridiculous" shot of the weekend-- techres with a suppressed CRICKET shooting subsonics at 200 yards! :laugh::laugh: And he hits steel! hahahaha

3219fc8c.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXKyAjrfqyI

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Evan just wow! You brought the tears back to me with that write up. I can't even contribute to a post that is this good. When he said I was proud that is the understatement of the year.

Tiffany had a goal when we started. She wanted to out shoot her dad again lol I don't think any one there will argue that she did in fact succeed.

Thanks again to all.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Very nice write up, Evan! It was a great weekend for sure. I was pretty bummed when I had to leaver early on Sunday, and after seeing the videos of you guys having even more fun at 200 makes me really sad! I have lots of good memories (and a couple of .22lr and .30-'06 case sized scars) that will last a long time! My elbows are skinned up pretty good, too!

Well worth it!

17165d93.jpg

.223 on top
    .30-'06 big one in the middle
    .22 lr scanned over from Saturday

This is the look of suprise and amazement for sure...

34eaf640.jpg

I've been wanting to shoot an Appleseed for a few years anow and now, after shooting one, I can't wait for the next one!!

Thanks to LMW for having us back out to his property and thanks to all the instructors for their great help and the wonderful retelling of history. I've got to look for a copy of Paul Revere's Ride so I can know the whole story for myself.

Last edited:

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Que swears he wasn't asleep. I don't believe him.

He said, "But I could hear all you guys saying 'Post it, Post the pic of him sleeping'" haha

496fe341.jpg

Anyone who's been to lovemywoods' knows how fun it is to traverse the dam face. Its fun in any direction.

Like down. . . .

The fact he made that trip and remained on his feet is mind blowing to me. He had to have been just a wee bit surprised as well. :D

18f024cd.jpg

And up. . . :laugh::laugh: And then there's this guy. I really look like I just want to lay down and quit right there. haha I think the story about the 78 year old gentleman that continued to father children and fight the good fight kept me moving though. I made it home about 10:05pm last night and slept like a baby.

35ee2fdc.jpg

Great write up Evan as usual. Once again thank you very very much to the Rice family for all of your hospitality. :rockwoot::rockwoot::ingo:

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    What a spectacular event, I don't think anything could have been done to improve it. It went from me wondering if Kristy(my wife) would ever forgive me for taking her to an Appleseed to her telling all of her family they need to go to an Appleseed.
    Lovemywoods and family, thank you so much for your hospitality.
    Slowhand, sorry about those 30-06 burns, makes me real glad Kristy only got a 22lr down her shirt. She now has an interesting tattoo few will ever see;). At least I made rifleman with the M1, so your burn was part of something special happening.
    instructors, thank you so much, you all are incredible.
    I got to meet alot of great people, what an outstanding group to spend a weekend with. Thank you all.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    jblomenberg16 hates shaving cream.

3dca2024.jpg

^^^this guy also hates the shooter next to him. Landing hot .223 brass with consistency in the small of my back during all the prone! You sir scored rifleman with the brass :)

18f024cd.jpg

You don't have to run faster than a bear to get away

Just faster than this guy

35ee2fdc.jpg

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Here's the suppressor contest complete with extra smack talk:

http://youtu.be/GbJMatOOnvc

It is in HD if you select for that quality.

Just for the record:

1. He won.
    2. He put up with my smack talk well.
    3. I want a 30 cal suppressor something fierce.

P.S. Que's comment at 3:15 was just cold... ;)

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I like it when techres gets all dramatic and does that unfocused look into the middle distance when he's doing the historical lectures.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    Thanks for the brass dance video techres! Kristy just informed me there were two pieces of brass trying to distract her from her shooting, she sure is tough, and really enjoyed the event. She ordered the books you recommended Saturday night and is looking forward to their arrival.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I just watched the trash talk video, what a hoot! Since this was after the appleseed no one reminded me to tighten my sling so my hand would be in the correct place, and no one commented on my apparent poor trigger control, it's hard to reprogram the brain to "ride the sear" when the sear trips automatically on this rifle most of the time:rockwoot:

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Gee Tech, thanks for leaving me behind while you go have fun.

Glad everyone had fun. Thanks for saying the nice things about the instructor crew. I know they all work really hard at their craft and the guy who does the instructor training is really proud of them.

Top Bottom