• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I recently completed two days of pistol training followed by a day of carbine training, taught by ICE Training (Rob Pincus).
    I.C.E. Training | Home
    Based on this experience, I thought it would be useful to share the following with the INGO community: :twocents:

1. training is worth the $. Most of us spend a lot of money on firearms and ammo, but never really learn to use them well. We mimic what we see, and make up stuff on our own, but there are better methods out there, we just need knowledgable and experienced people to show us. Some trainers may be teaching old ways of doing things, but I think Pincus is up to date and even developing new efficient methods and techniques. Putting rounds down range and static target shooting does not make one a competent shooter in a dynamic setting. Proper training opens up completely new ways to look at firearm use and handling. Most ranges don't allow holster draws or running with a weapon, but these are important, possibly life saving skills. Many common practices actually create bad habits, such as shooting until slide lock and then holstering the pistol without reloading.

2. Not all pistols are equally easy to use or reliable. At least for this "combat focus" type training, the Glocks and S&W M&Ps were clearly easier to use and more reliable. After hundreds of holster draws and reholsters, any pistol with a manual thumb safety (1911) or decocker (M9, Sig) were wearing out the users. Not to mention all the times people dangerously forgot to engage the safety or decocker. I overheard some people state they they would probably trade their Beretta/1911/FN/Ruger/etc. in on a Glock/M&P/Springfield xD based on this experience. Strangely no one brought a Springfield xD. All pistols work equally well sitting in the gun safe, but when you use them all day for three days, and put 1200 rounds through them, they start to sort themselves out.

3. Caliber didn't matter. 9mm, 40, and 45 were all used, as was factory ammo and reloads. Except for the occasional reload issue (which provided opportunity to practice malfunction clearing, the ammo and caliber were not significant. Both cast lead (except for Glocks!) and jacketed bullets were successfully used.

4. Plastic P mags don't fit in all AR15 / M4 lower receivers. Notably the Superior lower receiver.

5. Only buy good holsters. BlackHawk and Fobus holsters got the job done, Uncle Mike's should be left home. Not having a hood or release button seemed to be an advantage.

6. Basic corrective move is "tap and rack", tap the magazine upward and work the slide. That fixes 90% of problems. If that fails, second move is to dump the mag, work the slide, insert new mag, work the slide. These moves proved themselves during stressful drills.

7. AR15 mags should always be loaded one or two rounds less than capacity or they may not latch, and when inserted, should be pulled to make sure they are latched in. A couple of times the mag wasn't fully latched.

I learned and experienced much more, but this is some of the highlights. I'd like to hear your opinions about this stuff. Flame away.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Here's a point people will argue.....do you use the slide release/slide lock to drop the slide, or do you slingshot/overhand? I always use the slide release, and I think it is the best and fastest method, in addition to being the ONLY method that works if you are operating with only one hand due to an injury.

Excellent question, and something I should have mentioned.
    The method trained is "overhand", i.e. left hand reaches over slide. Reasons are:
    1. not all pistols have same slide release design, this works for all pistols
    2. allows pistol to remain closer to body than a "slingshot" method would.
    3. consistent method for either releasing slide from slidelock or racking the slide. Eliminates the single purpose process of using the slide release.
    4. actually easier to do (large slide surface to grasp with several fingers and thumb) then use a part of your thumb to press down a very small, stiff slide release.

After doing it a few hundred times, I am convinced it is best for me. Only potential downside I can see is blocking the ejection port with your hand, but only if you grasp the slide too far forward. I never experienced this.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The method trained is "overhand", i.e. left hand reaches over slide. Reasons are:
    1. not all pistols have same slide release design, this works for all pistols
    2. allows pistol to remain closer to body than a "slingshot" method would.
    3. consistent method for either releasing slide from slidelock or racking the slide. Eliminates the single purpose process of using the slide release.
    4. actually easier to do (large slide surface to grasp with several fingers and thumb) then use a part of your thumb to press down a very small, stiff slide release.

Add 5) it's the same basic manipulation as "wiping" a stovepiped case; two reps for the price of one...

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    also if youre ever in a real shooting scenario, you will probably lose control of fine motor movements, like working the slide release. although, civilian side, i cant really see too many situations arising where one mag wont carry you through w/e situation youve found yourself involved in. unless you live in gary.

TFin04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Cleveland
    Shay beat me to it.

To the OP- Thanks for posting your thoughts. My experience with holsters has been the completely opposite- Blackhawks and Fobus failing/falling apart, while Uncle Mikes seems to be the best of the budget brands. Check out what Raven offers and never look back IMO. The Malabar Front

Just out of curiosity, was this your first class of this type or have you trained with other instructors?

Thanks.

TFin04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Cleveland
    also if youre ever in a real shooting scenario, you will probably lose control of fine motor movements, like working the slide release. although, civilian side, i cant really see too many situations arising where one mag wont carry you through w/e situation youve found yourself involved in. unless you live in gary.

Pressing the mag release could be considered a fine motor skill as well. If you can manage to find that button, why can't you manage to find the slide lock lever?

This isn't an argument for using the lever, I personally dont, but the gross vs fine motor skill argument doesn't make any sense IMO>

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i still do too, i was just floating that out there. on the m4 were trained to use our palms to hit the slide release rather than the thumb. dont have too many options on a mag release though. ive never had to make a combat reload either. one shot one kill. ;)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    We carried 92's in the service. After many trips to the range, I do not see a de-cocker as a tiring thing. Yes your first shot will be DA, but all other rounds after will be SA. Unless you decock, and forget to take the safety off. I agree also that manual safeties are a bad thing for self defense hand gun. In a high stress situation, you may forget to disengage the safety. I also agree with how to clear a malfunction on a pistol such as a Glock, M&P, or Xd. You tap the base plate of the mag to make sure it fully seated, then rack the slide. With a weapon that has a manual safety it's slap the baseplate of the mag, flip to make sure the safety is off, then rack the slide. As for using the slide release. It's there for a reason. You are already gripping the weapon. It's simple to just move your thumb up, and hit the mag release. Instead of taking the time to take one hand off to rack the slide. Also in a stressful situation you may baby it, and the round may not chamber fully. I have seen this happen when qualifying while in the service. I do not agree that Fobus, and Blackhawk are the only good holsters though. I use Uncle Mikes Kydex, and they work great. That's what I use for winter time. I also agree with not fully loading AR mags. I have seen this problem with my Dad's Bushmaster. That is why he always loads 2 rounds less then what the mag will hold. That's one reason I like the AK, never had a problem locking in a fully loaded mag. I'm surprised they did not have a shotgun course. They are just as affective, as a pistol or carbine. My two :twocents: from my civilian, and military experience.

Last edited:

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    I also agree with how to clear a malfunction on a pistol such as a Glock, M&P, or Xd. You tap the base plate of the mag to make sure it fully seated, then rack the slide. With a weapon that has a manual safety it's slap the baseplate of the mag, flip to make sure the safety is off, then rack the slide. As for using the slide release. It's there for a reason. You are already gripping the weapon. It's simple to just move your thumb up, and hit the mag release. instead of taking the time to take one hand off to rack the slide. .

Ah first....

wont the saftey all ready be off if it has a malf occured due to firing? on the 92 answer yes the roll is to aid the gun with get this gravity to help the round come clear of the gun but also to get a good visual of it leaving the gun in the daylight there is no differance in how you should perform this drill its seat the mag aggresive manor rip the slide with as much force as you can while brining the gun into your Area for leverage and control
    key is the vilolence of which you attack the gun when it goes down
    as for slide release proper way to use it is to hit the slide release with the suport hand as the magazine is inserted while aquiring the gun for an instant shot if need be not insert grip slide stop

and by doing he overhand slide charging method your also gaining repetions and movement of the tap rack drill.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I Was at the Same training and I have to 100% agree with the original note. I had a M&P and a Blackhawk serpa holster, and a Oly Arms Carbine.

I was 101% happy with my equipment choice, I would have not done a single thing different after 3 days of shooting my forearm and hand are still stiff but last night I drew from my holster and everything was still there, I brought it out presented and focused.

I want to do more training and plan to arrange more training at the range next summer.

Rob Pincus's group were great to deal with and there was no real B.S. in the training or scenario's presented to us. All movement and training were backed up by logic, and empirical evidence.

I have to stress this You cannot get this type of training by grabbing your gun and shooting milk jugs in your back yard

I've been going to the range and ipsc type shoots for over 20 years and I did things in this training that I would have never done. You have to be pushed into the training that we took. This took me way out of my comfort zone and therefore expanded my comfort zone.

To all serious shooters and to anyone who carries with the idea of self defense you have to go to one of these training schools and the sooner the better.

Before you buy your equipment for self defense talk to someone who's been through one to see what over the course of several days does and does not work.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Now, I'm waiting for the 1911 fans to show up. :popcorn:
    "Manual safety," What, you mean the thumb rest?:):

I'd really like to train with Rob Pincus. Just couldn't get it together this year, rifle and ammo wise. Hopefully, X10 can get him back next year.

Thanks to ar15_dude for the review!

Last edited:

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    My experience with holsters has been the completely opposite- Blackhawks and Fobus failing/falling apart, while Uncle Mikes seems to be the best of the budget brands. Check out what Raven offers and never look back IMO. The Malabar Front

Just out of curiosity, was this your first class of this type or have you trained with other instructors?

Thanks.

Yes, this was my first such training, but based on my positive experience, I'd like to do more of this. I also want to say it was a great group of guys to spend 3 days with, so hats off to x10 and the other "combat focused" shooters.

I must admit that I am NOT a holster expert. You are correct that although I don't think anyone had a Raven holster, the instructors said it was top notch. My Fobus is servicable and works well, but I am sure it has its limits. When I said Uncle Mikes aren't good, I meant the cheap nylon ones. Maybe UM has some good models.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    I see this argument all of the time. I disagree. Pulling a trigger is a fine motor skill. Pushing a mag release button is a fine motor skill. You will fight the way you are trained. I've hit the slide release all of my life, with every pistol I've ever owned. That's the way I'll automatically do it if SHTF and I need a mag change. Of course, I am not concerned with different pistol types and how their slide lock levers/decockers/safeties work. I use Glocks and M&Ps. They work the same.

i think youre right. like i said earlier, ive never had to attempt to reload, but everything else worked just like ive trained. very little thought goes into anything. its all reflex. afterwards though, it took some focus to put my rifle back on safe.

TFin04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Cleveland
    When I said Uncle Mikes aren't good, I meant the cheap nylon ones. Maybe UM has some good models.
    Ah, gotcha.

This version from Uncle Mikes is the best budget holster around IMO:

opplanet-uncle-mike-s-kydex-belt-holsters.jpg

Top Bottom