“Is That Enough Crimp?” (or “Learning to Reload, Part 1”)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    ok, I have a question, I am kinda new to reloading, and i am currently reloading 40 S&W, and i notice that the the bullet diam + 2x case thickness all ways adds up to 0.422 which seems fine, however i have been seating before crimping and i noticed that before i crimp the the very end of the case diameter equals 0.422 almost exactly ( on occasion 0.421 ) does this mean i shouldn't have to crimp the bullet after seating since it is the proper measurement anyways? i really appreciate any feed back, also just for a little more feed back i am using bullseye powder, Montana gold 155gr Jhp, winchester primers, an nickel casings with the suggested starting grain of 5.1 ( lyman reloading book ) with an OAL of 1.125, any thoughts or suggestions on this set up?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    ok, I have a question, I am kinda new to reloading, and i am currently reloading 40 S&W, and i notice that the the bullet diam + 2x case thickness all ways adds up to 0.422 which seems fine, however i have been seating before crimping and i noticed that before i crimp the the very end of the case diameter equals 0.422 almost exactly ( on occasion 0.421 ) does this mean i shouldn't have to crimp the bullet after seating since it is the proper measurement anyways? i really appreciate any feed back, also just for a little more feed back i am using bullseye powder, Montana gold 155gr Jhp, winchester primers, an nickel casings with the suggested starting grain of 5.1 ( lyman reloading book ) with an OAL of 1.125, any thoughts or suggestions on this set up?

Yes, that's exactly what it means...your seating die is adjusted perfectly to remove the belling of the case mouth. If your accuracy is decent, function is solid and you're not getting any setback, then do not crimp any further.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Just had to do this when loading my first few test rounds with frangible bullets for Kodiak range. Had to go a little more, little more, etc until the bell was gone. Kept hammering them back out to make sure I wasn't denting the bullets because on the frangibles if you dent them they could just break clear through. Thought I had it perfect but one run through the gun by hand pushed them back .030". Had to keep going little by little until no denting, no flare, and no set-back on 5 cycles. Shot great though.

Top Bottom