• marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Darn it, another one to add to my list.

Just watched all the videos I could find on YouTube on this. It's basically an AR9 with a magwell that can be changed.

The magwell design looks like it can accommodate a wider variety of options than the Ruger PC Carbine since it is not constrained by being in the receiver.

The AR compatibility will certainly attract some people. Julie Golob has a video about the Response out and she stated that the stock, grip and trigger are compatible with AR parts.

From what I've seen the trigger is tuned more to competition than self defense at 2 1/2 pounds. That seems to be about as light as you can go on a blowback 9 without doubling.

I'm sure the fact that it is largely a polymer gun will turn off some folks.

The hand guard and barrel look as if they are derived from the FPC.

Unlike the FPC the grip is equal to a full size M&P, but since the magazine isn't in the grip it doesn't effect the ability of the Response to take M&P compact mags.

Looks like it's another rabbit hole to fall down to research this one.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Is the FPC mostly polymer also?
    Yes. The Response is a different category. The FPC is a foldable backpack gun, the lightweight construction matches it's use profile. The Response is a full size modern sporting rifle doesn't have light weight as a required feature.

I suspect the construction material is based as much in cost as it is on weight.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Was on the livestream announcement (M&P fan boy here). Cool concept, but they probably could've just released at / around the same time as the FPC given it's a carbine length PCC. That said, I was kind of a hoping for a metal M&P compact lineup so might be a little biased that direction.
    Another s&w fanboy in Westfield! CZickness step aside, I think its time for a S&W range day!
    I have the mnp metal. The metal part has no advantages other than esthetics but I'm loving the trigger.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Did they just steal from Keltec again and it’s multi mag 9mm blow back carbine that’s been around forever
    Did Keltec steal from Colt? From what I can find Colt made an AR9 in 1982. Kel-Tec was founded in 1991.

Don't all AR style rifles including blowback 9mm carbines with AR style controls owe a tip of the hat to Armalite?

Yup - this is another Ar-9, blowback 9mm. It has common AR style controls, can be adapted to multiple magazines, and is made in the US.

Having options is a good thing. S&W may be following a trend by releasing two 9mm PCCs but they are offering another source for a popular firearm. It is a better situation than having fewer options.

I'm hoping that they expand to other calibers and offer more mag adapters.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes. The Response is a different category. The FPC is a foldable backpack gun, the lightweight construction matches it's use profile. The Response is a full size modern sporting rifle doesn't have light weight as a required feature.

I suspect the construction material is based as much in cost as it is on weight.
    I’m fine with my polymer AR style .22. Not so sure about 9mm in a rifle.

Is it any different than having a polymer handgun? I don’t have any issues with those.

Top Bottom