• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Ok I am a noob to shotguns. I carry a handgun everyday but I don't hunt much. Way too many ticks and lime disease around here for me to care to hunt much. I recently bought a 12 gauge pump and I am setting it up for another HD gun besides my 1911.

On the topic of 00 buck loads, what is considered a good pattern at 25 yards? This is about the furthest distant from my back door to the back of the separate garage. In the house the longest across room distance is about 20 feet which I'm not really worried about patterning as most 00 buck loads will be center mass anyways.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    EVERY gun will pattern different. The only way you'll get this answered it to get it out and shoot it. I usually tape up newspaper for hd loads. The holes are large enough not to get lost in the print.
    Try a couple types of shells as well. Some might surprise you with some poor results.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Why do you assume 00 is the best load choice? I did a serious amount of research on HD 12g ammo and a bit to my surprise...00 was not it.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    My HD shotgun is loaded with 3" #4 buckshot. That's what it patterns best with. It also happens to be what it likes best for coyotes with a simple change of the choke tube.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I don't assume anything. I like the 00 buck load and I'm just asking what is considered a good group at 25 yards. I have a few choices local from the lgs. I do plan on doing testing and patterning but I don't know what is a good pattern or not.

Inside des the house the pattern is irrelevant to me as the shot won't spread much.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Inside des the house the pattern is irrelevant to me as the shot won't spread much.

Still test this. Some loads may surprise you.

My 870 will put all 9 pellets on a 10" plate at 20 yards with Winchester military 00. A couple other brands of 00 I tried wouldn't do that at 20 FEET out of the same gun.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Yeah, you must test a few different brands to see what works,

GENERALLY, a "good" load spreads about an inch per yard (if it does much more than that, get a different load/choke), or a bit less, and is consistent
    Barrel length doesn't matter much at all in patterning -- but it matters in swing weight for birds, etc -- but for HD there's very little difference between an 18" barrel and a 28" barrel, except maneuverability.

Like others have mentioned, #4 buck is another good option

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Get a few brands of 00B, 1B, and even 4B....

I had comparable results from a Mossberg 500 18" and 590 20" smoothbores.

Then get a few rounds of Federal Flite Control and compare. You will be shocked at how tight the pattern is compared to others. Look for the PFC154 (2 3/4" 9 pellet). Inside 15y, the Federal stays in one 3" hole. Contrary to some opinion, the 12g is not an area weapon and must be aimed. Do not treat your hallway like WWI German trench and try to fill it with shot. The advantage of the shot shell is that with a single pull of the trigger, you can put 8 to 34 (4B) projectiles into your home invader.

All the Flite Control loads (except 4B), I tested stayed on target at 25yards. PFC157 is a 3" shell with 12 pellets that did not pattern well for me. At 15yards, it was over 10".

If you are looking to use a 12g for HD, you must try the Federal. And, you must practice recoil management and follow up shots. The disadvantage to the pump shotgun is the recoil when using full power loads. It will take more practice than your 1911....

Look for these ammo loads to pattern in your 12g:

PD132.....2 3/4" 00B, 9 Pellets (1145fps, reduced recoil)
    PD156 ... 2 3/4" 4B, 34 pellets (1000fps, reduced recoil)
    PFC154 ...2 3/4" 00B, 9 pellets (1325fps, full power)

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Shameless plug, I'll be bringing a roll of paper to the INGO shoot next month at Proteq if anyone needs to pattern test and doesnt want to waste a target.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Well so far I have tried HeviShot HeviDuty 12 pellet 00buck and it has very light recoil and patterns around 8 inches at 7 yards, my max in home distance.

I also shot some Winchester SuperX 9 pellet 00buck buffered shot and it grouped the same 8" at 7 yards. For being a buffered shot I was expecting tighter groups.

Ill have to hunt down some Federal. I would like to try some of there tactical buck shot.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't assume anything. I like the 00 buck load and I'm just asking what is considered a good group at 25 yards. I have a few choices local from the lgs. I do plan on doing testing and patterning but I don't know what is a good pattern or not.

Your shotgun needs to consistently put all buckshot pellets on target. Buckshot off the target is a liability. My goal is to keep all pellets on a 9" paper plate. Shoot at the plate at 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 yards. This will determine your max distance for that particular load.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Well so far I have tried HeviShot HeviDuty 12 pellet 00buck and it has very light recoil and patterns around 8 inches at 7 yards, my max in home distance.

I also shot some Winchester SuperX 9 pellet 00buck buffered shot and it grouped the same 8" at 7 yards. For being a buffered shot I was expecting tighter groups.

Ill have to hunt down some Federal. I would like to try some of there tactical buck shot.

I'd bet the buffered shot would pattern tighter at further distances. 7 yards isn't a whole lot of room.

If you can find some FlightControl stuff, I'd be the pattern would be like 2" at 7 yards - if that.

HOWEVER, if you know for SURE that you won't be utilizing the load at further distances - then there may not be a NEED for buying the high dollar stuff.

I need to pattern my shotgun because I haven't ever done it; but it's not at all pressing because it's not in service as a HD weapon right now (Don't have a good way to secure it for easy access while the kids are there). It looks pretty, though, so there's that I guess.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I'd bet the buffered shot would pattern tighter at further distances. 7 yards isn't a whole lot of room.

If you can find some FlightControl stuff, I'd be the pattern would be like 2" at 7 yards - if that.

HOWEVER, if you know for SURE that you won't be utilizing the load at further distances - then there may not be a NEED for buying the high dollar stuff.

I need to pattern my shotgun because I haven't ever done it; but it's not at all pressing because it's not in service as a HD weapon right now (Don't have a good way to secure it for easy access while the kids are there). It looks pretty, though, so there's that I guess.

The Winchester buffered shot only patterned 8" at 7yards

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    LITTLE UPDATE:

I bought some WalMart Suprema 9 pellet 00 buck. It is the best deal I have found at cheaper prices than bulk online prices. And it is readily available in town as we have 3 WalMarts within 10 minutes of my house. The recoil is average. The shells cycled smoothly, ejected cleanly, and patterened as expected.

At 20 feet the pellets held a 8" pattern. This is about the longest distance inside the house. The patterning was VERY consistent through the 20 rounds I fired. I would recommend this for all around use. I'm trying to stock up for my SHTF pile.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I've been relatively surprised with the Suprema 00 bucks. I bought some different buck and patterned them at 15 yards, considering thats the longest shot in my house. Out of Winchester Military, Remington, Royal, and Suprema, the Suprema shot the tightest group for me out of a Benelli Supernova Tac.

I later located some Federal Flight Control and that then patterned the best for me so now my gun is loaded up with that. But for SHTF and general use I've stocked up on the Suprema.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I looked for Suprema last light at Wally World. Did not see any.

So far I like the Fiocchi reduced recoil and 8 pellet reduced recoil Federal flight control. Both pattern good and are easier on the body.

Top Bottom