Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    $1,500,000,000 for a new center that will be used to store data on American citizens. They are talking about it as a job creator. Looks like a giant money pit to me. There will be 1 million square feet of data storage space. The vague explanation for the center is that it is supposedly going to protect us from cyber terror. Yeah, mmkay.

Utah's $1.5 billion cyber-security center under way

Utah's NSA spy center will house data, not analysts - ksl.com

Won't mean much when Yellowstone lets loose. :laugh::laugh:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You never hear much about the NSA. They seem to do their job very well. I have the highest regard for them.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Complete misinformation campaign. Like the NSA could get that put together for 1.5 Billion. No way. They will spend at least 2.5 Billion after you factor in all the undisclosed defense spending they will have ear marked.:)
    By the way, Rambone, did you notice all the new NFC smartphones coming out? They need somewhere to store your RFID data. Ray Bradbury may be more of a prophet than Nostradamus.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I can't believe you terrorists are posting this sensitive information about our security!!!!

Now we're all going to die!!!! Why didn't you think of the CHILDRENZZZ!?!?!!!!

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    "This will bring 5,000 to 10,000 new jobs during its construction and development phase"

Im so sick of this crappy excuse. Yeah it will create more jobs for a short period of time whoopity do. What about after that? After that you have 5,000 to 10,000 dudes with nothing to do until the government comes up with another pet project funded by ME and YOU.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You never hear much about the NSA. They seem to do their job very well. I have the highest regard for them.

Huh...

You know the NSA is the only Agency with a simple Memo signed by the POTUS can declare anyone a Threat to the Security of the Republic and have them detained...

No evidence needed... ;)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Huh...

You know the NSA is the only Agency with a simple Memo signed by the POTUS can declare anyone a Threat to the Security of the Republic and have them detained...

No evidence needed... ;)

And I can not imagine a finer group to have such powers.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    "This will bring 5,000 to 10,000 new jobs during its construction and development phase"

Im so sick of this crappy excuse. Yeah it will create more jobs for a short period of time whoopity do. What about after that? After that you have 5,000 to 10,000 dudes with nothing to do until the government comes up with another pet project funded by ME and YOU.

Me too! They put something that makes us squirm, but they then throw in "Hey, it's going to make some jobs!" as if we were idiots. Well, unfortunately, alot of people are idiots... :D wait :xmad: Short time jobs, yeah, THAT's progress... :xmad:

So the Pentagon claims to be cutting budget, yet the NSA is spending BILLIONS (not millions) on some new cyber security center. 1. What about our existing facilities that seem to be doing just frickin' fine. 2. Why build a NEW center. It's pretty obvious that we already have center(s) in the USA to do this very thing. 3. This is indicative of the push for internet "neutrality" if I have ever seen it.

Earmarks? Yeah, I think the "new" Congress is doing JUST fine... :xmad: Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Post-9/11, NSA "enemies" include us
    So much intercepted information is now being collected from “enemies” at home and abroad that, in order to store it all, the agency last year began constructing the ultimate monument to eavesdropping. Rising in a remote corner of Utah, the agency’s gargantuan data storage center will be 1 million square feet, cost nearly $2 billion and likely be capable of eventually holding more than a yottabyte of data — equal to about a septillion (1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) pages of text.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011

I will gladly give the government all the money they want to spy on me and store that data .... AND ITS A JOB CREATOR!?!?!?!?!?

Talk about 2 birds!

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    th_PreviewimageID963text0approve20of20yottabytetext1i20do.jpg

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Well, someone was fully utilizing the six inches between their ears when they designed this facility. How handy to have all that electronic intelligence, spying, data storage, listening and observailling capacity all in one convient target...er I mean location.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Well, someone was fully utilizing the six inches between their ears when they designed this facility. How handy to have all that electronic intelligence, spying, data storage, listening and observailling capacity all in one convient target...er I mean location.

Why do you assume that you know everything that they are doing?

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Anybody see this article in Wired (resurrecting an old thread)

The NSA Is Building the Country's Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say) | Threat Level | Wired.com

The big thing is the code breaking ability they will have. Use encryption for emails, secure online, purchases, etc.? They'll be able to crack it. And it sounds like they're going to capture everything, cell phone calls, receipts from purchases, probably postings on Facebook, Twitter, places like INGO, etc. Combined with the disregard of due process for American citizens abroad and here in the US (let me know when Mueller and Holder figure that one out), is it any wonder that people are nervous?

Might be time to break out the pen and paper and start rocking the Postal Service again...

Oh yeah, one final comment for ATM. Bacon.

Top Bottom