• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For that kind of money you could build an AR 15 with two uppers and still have money for brass and bullets.

But I think he wants a carry piece (or two)... OP, don't be this guy... :):

Fashion-Accessory.jpg

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Take your favorite carry gun,hold it parallel to the ground at arms length and release.If this makes you cringe,you're carrying too nice of a gun.Many people don't realize that a carry gun,along with your SHTF rifle,has the greatest potential to get beat up because it's going to have holster wear and,ideally,be the one that's used the most out of all of your collection.JMHO
    I don't buy that. I like to keep my nice things nice. However, I am willing to beat it up if I have to do so. Dropping just for the hell of it or to prove some point is just stupid.

It's like a new pair of work boots. Let's say Redwings (expensive). These are a tool. I'm not going to spend $200 on boots and then go home and walk through mud to prove a point. I will wear them and if they get dirty in course of every day use then so be it. Same thing with a gun. I prefer to not scratch up my gun, but I know it will happen if it is an EDC.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I made that same decision years ago and got a Kimber TLE II, which I have carried nearly every day since. There are wear marks on it, a little pitting from rust (yes, "stainless steel" can rust if it's carried during week-long, rainy camping trips), and I'll never be able to sell it for what I put into it. And I don't care. It works flawlessly and is an absolute tack driver. I know that I can rely on it if the SHTF.

Your milage may vary. As others have said, you need to buy what you will actually use. I went into it knowing that the gun would not be a safe queen and therefore would show wear and tear. I was ok with that, so it was worth it to me.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Right now I could not afford a $1400.00 Kimber! But is I did it would not be my EDC. Because that one would be more for competition and such. My current EDC is a S&W M&P in .40 cal. that was a police trade in. High quality gun that came in under $400.00. I bought it so I could quit carrying My Colt 1911. While I like the legendary power of the 45 acp, I simply wanted to keep it nice looking. But it has not become a safe Queen. That being said if what $$ you have saved allows you to purchase two...by all means do so!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I guess it really depends on you. Will you be satisfied with mediocrity or will you always regret not getting your dream gun when you had the opportunity? The only person who can completely understand you and answer this question is you.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Go with the XDs/Shield/Glk 29 Kimber 's rep has gone down in the last few yrs.

Considering the XDs had a mandatory recall last year, the Shield had a "safety warning", and Gen 4 Glocks had extraction issues; yeah compared to that Kimber's reputation has really taken a beating

Only bad thing for Kimber now is their lifetime warranty is gone if someone other than a Kimber gunsmith works on it. Which I somewhat see, with all the bubba "gunsmiths" now, but that also includes a simple throat job which is a real WTF but hey, not my company

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    If you're already concerned about scratches on a carry gun that cost $1400 and you haven't even bought it yet. Well, I think you already made up your mind.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Considering the XDs had a mandatory recall last year, the Shield had a "safety warning", and Gen 4 Glocks had extraction issues; yeah compared to that Kimber's reputation has really taken a beating
    That's why I don't get why Ruger SR9cs and other SR series pistols aren't thought of more highly. Everyone who owns one loves it. The only thing I hate about them is the loaded chamber indicator.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    That's why I don't get why Ruger SR9cs and other SR series pistols aren't thought of more highly. Everyone who owns one loves it. The only thing I hate about them is the loaded chamber indicator.

Agreed, but magazine disconnects suck IMO but on most guns are easy to remove. The loaded chamber indicator is kind of overkill but a lot of people like a visual safety. And the warning label....hate saying it seems to be normal nowadays.

Least it has a thumb safety and the polymer doesn't feel slick like on the XD series

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Agreed, but magazine disconnects suck IMO but on most guns are easy to remove. The loaded chamber indicator is kind of overkill but a lot of people like a visual safety. And the warning label....hate saying it seems to be normal nowadays.

Least it has a thumb safety and the polymer doesn't feel slick like on the XD series
    Valid points, but they are ridiculously reliable and accurate. And aren't those the most important things?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Valid points, but they are ridiculously reliable and accurate. And aren't those the most important things?

Nope. Got to be part of the cool crowd

:)

Anyway, a pistol has to be comfortable in your hand, some people with some guns, they just don't mix.

But the original question was a need vs want type of thing. Need 1 or 2 guns, want the Kimber or need 2 others. If he gets 2 guns instead of what he's had his eye one how much regret will he have or will he save again for said Kimber.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, it really depends on what you want. Personally I would buy the Kimber, however I don't have ANY concern about scratching my EDC, I carry a Colt stainless steel Double Eagle. I think the current market value is about $1200, my gun does have scratches, some wear marks etc. BUT, I bought the gun for ME, I will never sell it, bought it new many years ago, had it for 20-25 years.

When I was a young man (50 years or so ago), I bought new automobiles. Several of my friends also purchased similar cars. Most of my friends installed plastic seat covers and rubber floor mats in their cars right away. I said (and still believe), this is my car, I will enjoy the seats and carpets, the next owner can put covers on if something wears out. I don't purchase firearms for an investment (although I and my son collect firearms and have around 100), but buy them to shoot and enjoy.

I have many less expensive (reliable) handguns, but prefer to carry the Colt. When my heirs acquire the firearms, they can either see the scratches as history or they can refinish the gun. I have been looking at the Kimber Solo and will probably buy one this year. I do believe the Kimbers' are reliable firearms - if that is what you want - buy it - enjoy it, save up some money and purchase another.

Once started into firearms, they are like potato chips - you can't have just one. Kimber's may be tuned to specific ammo, that is ok with me. My carry gun is loaded with high priced self defense rounds and always will be when I carry. I shoot enough of each type I carry to insure they function properly and hit where I aim then use them.

One of my sons once made a comment over 30 years ago, that has a lot of validity, he said "Dad, buy a gun you can be proud of, you will spend a lot more time talking about the gun than shooting it, the value will stay higher on the higher priced gun so you won't ever lose money" One of my idiosyncrasies is that I detest polymer firearms. I know many like them, but the ONLY reason they were produced was to save money during manufacture. Can't say they are not reliable and probably will outlast any purchaser. However, I like metal and wood. I KNOW that with proper care they will last virtually forever, all my firearms will be left to my children or Grandchildren, hopefully many will be passed on for generations. You may look at a Kimber purchase in the same manner, fine firearm, "bragging rights" and something you can pass on to you heirs.

I am very sure any Kimber will function properly with ball ammo, never seen a 45 that wouldn't, so that would be my practice / range ammo.

I will add one comment, I personally have never regretted the purchase of a high quality / priced firearm. I am not wealthy and at times it stretched my budget, but a couple months later, the cost was just a memory - still had a firearm I really enjoyed and trusted. However I do have regrets that I didn't purchase a few firearms when they were available and I did have the cash.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I could really go either way on this. On one hand, I've bought and sold my share of cheaper guns to know that there is some value to having a single quality gun over two other guns. A single gun only needs a single holster and a single caliber of ammo to feed it. Overall cost of running a single gun could be cheaper in the long run. Plus, twice the practice with one gun is better than half the practice with each of two.

On the other hand, at $1400, you are not talking about buying one good gun vs two crap guns. You can buy two very good guns for the price of the Kimber. That kind of money would give you enough for a Remington R1 and a Glock 30 if you want to keep it to one caliber. I own a Kimber and as much as I love the thing, I don't think it's that much nicer than my Remington or Sig 1911s.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I could really go either way on this. On one hand, I've bought and sold my share of cheaper guns to know that there is some value to having a single quality gun over two other guns. A single gun only needs a single holster and a single caliber of ammo to feed it. Overall cost of running a single gun could be cheaper in the long run. Plus, twice the practice with one gun is better than half the practice with each of two.

On the other hand, at $1400, you are not talking about buying one good gun vs two crap guns. You can buy two very good guns for the price of the Kimber. That kind of money would give you enough for a Remington R1 and a Glock 30 if you want to keep it to one caliber. I own a Kimber and as much as I love the thing, I don't think it's that much nicer than my Remington or Sig 1911s.

^*he mentioned glock*

AR50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    southside
    I would drop the coin on one, but NOT the KIMBER. I have bought the lesser exspensive guns and always end up upgrading parts and by the time it's to my liking I should have spent the money to get one nice gun. If you are getting a 1911 then I would get an STI or Les Baer custom.

Top Bottom