• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

Is it bad that I thought that video was legitimately going to be about turtles, since I have heard that segment on Science Friday?

There is no courthouse at the SB cop shop.

Are we sure about that? I know they started naming things and making up their own rules when SB292 went into effect. It would really surprise me if there wasnt a janitor closet in there that they converted into a court room for the Honorable Judge Mopsalot.

I believe the city of South Bend has a 'big city' complex. I think it stems from the Democratic party running the city for YEARS. Think of a 'little Chicago'. There use to be a killer gun show every year at the Century Center but since the city owns that building, they were fazed out.

I live in Mishawaka and have been seen open carrying by Mishawaka police officers with nary a word said.:patriot:

I have never had a problem before this. I have OCd just about everywhere in the area. I was even regularly OCing at the UP Mall until one of my fiance's coworkers told on me. The security guard asked her to relay the message to me that it needed to be in my car or concealed in the mall. It is a posted (in small letters) rule, so they get there way. I have been OCing in Eddy Street Commons with only one small hick up involving a Notre Dame security person.

templar223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    +1 rep for standing your ground against an ignorant officer. Most people would have just left.

Good call and it sounds like you, the OP, did a fine job trying to remain calm in the face of an uninformed police officer.

I'm afraid I would have invited him to cuff me and take me to jail if he felt so confident in his recollection of the law. "Officer Maxey, you have the last word today, but the U.S. District Court will have the last word on a 1983 violation tomorrow. Have you ever been to the U.S. District Courthouse in Urbana, IL?"

Here in IL, we as Guns Save Life have done a fairly remarkable job of educating law enforcement professionals on IL's current statute on transporting guns (as opposed to what it was twenty years ago when the current trainers were trained). We've also aggressively publicized a couple of nice settlement checks that were issued when uninformed, misinformed or anti-gun cops used ignorance or anti-gun feelings to make an arrest of someone transporting lawfully (fanny pack carry).

Sure, you have politicians and police chiefs (politicians themselves often) who say they will make an arrest, but in reality, they know what that will lead to.

So, again, way to politely and assertively fight an uninformed officer's ignorance of the law.

John

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Sounds like the SB cop that hassled me a few times. Short, Stocky(round) and when he got mad, his eyes would bug out and he start spitting his T's on me. I was just laughing. A 5yr old could have out run this guy.
    I think I know who you are talking about, so not going to post his name...

This is just my opinion but I think I may have just asked the officer if I was being detained, and if not, I was leaving. If he continued, I think I would have said "I am not talking to you any longer. If I am not free to leave then you should state charges and arrest me. And I will see you in court." He wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
    I wonder what the Charges and Pay out might be on something like this...
    Any update to this? Did you talk to Maxey's supervisor?
    Yes please!

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

No, I have been way to busy with work :xmad:

I know time is dwindling, and the sooner the better, so I am hoping to get to it at some point tomorrow. I suppose that I probably dont have to do it in the middle of the day, or at the very least I should be able to get some information and maybe his voice mail, even if I have to call later in the evening tomorrow.

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    You should've pulled out your phone and started recording him, you'd be surprised how quickly that can fix an officer's attitude.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I was just thinking about the OP's encounter with Maxey and wondering how this response would have gone over.

Maxey: any 5 y.o. girl could take that from you?

OP: then why didn't you?

Maxey: Because I am NOT A 5 Y.O. little GIRL!

OP: NEITHER AM I! So let's dispense with the name calling and hyperbole and get down to the law.

--------

It's amazing to me that people who are against others carrying a gun usually like to act like anyone can take it from you. They somehow make this ficticious person a superman that has no chance of being beaten by the gun owner. No... In their scenario this person is always victorious over you. but if you didn't have a gun this big thug would just leave you alone. The thug is only looking for people who are carrying guns.

In this case for instance, why is Maxey so sure that a 5 yo girl will take the OP's gun but would not do the same to Maxey? Who is this powerful, sinister little girl who waits patiently in walgreens for an unsuspecting OCer to walk in. Then - when the OCer has their hands full of Charmin and Doritos, she jumps into action taking the pistol from the waistband of the OCer and shooting him. But wait.. I thought that the minute a kid gets their hands on a hand gun they end up shooting themselves anyway:dunno:

PA2Ind

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    St. Joseph Co.
    In this case for instance, why is Maxey so sure that a 5 yo girl will take the OP's gun but would not do the same to Maxey? Who is this powerful, sinister little girl who waits patiently in walgreens for an unsuspecting OCer to walk in. Then - when the OCer has their hands full of Charmin and Doritos, she jumps into action taking the pistol from the waistband of the OCer and shooting him. But wait.. I thought that the minute a kid gets their hands on a hand gun they end up shooting themselves anyway:dunno:

Does Chuck Norris have a daughter? :draw:lol ;)

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    +1. That's the argument I *always* use when that comes up. If it's so easy to take a gun away from someone, I'll just take it back.

I don't think it is correct. If so, why are so many killed with their own gun. Many factors go into the equation. Mainly training. Size of the attacker, tactical surprice, etc.

Take force on force training and see how violent (and easy) it is to take someone's gun
    - especially if they are OC'ing (not an anti OC point) and the victim has little situational awareness of the people around and behind.

Personally, I will do everthing I can to not find out - it is my gun and you are not getting it (5yo ninja or not). Period.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo

No, I have been way to busy with work :xmad:

I know time is dwindling, and the sooner the better, so I am hoping to get to it at some point tomorrow. I suppose that I probably dont have to do it in the middle of the day, or at the very least I should be able to get some information and maybe his voice mail, even if I have to call later in the evening tomorrow.

What Critter said...got an update? :dunno:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I had forgotten about this thread. Is the OP still around???

Answered my own question, OP has logged in withing the past 24 hours.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Maybe that's why the SBPD Police chief was under investigation....

5 yr old criminal walked up and took his gun and used it during a robbery...

Top Bottom