• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTubbs1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    How did this officer know where you work??

File a complaint, intimidation. You were legal, therefore he can't threaten.

If bank asks you to leave, you must, or its tresspassing. Courts already ruled on it. Having an account does not give you contractual interest.

OC being legal is also on ISP's FAQs. So why would they care?

My best guess is the teller told him, and she knows where I work from dealing with our deposits.

I was reading a thread on Indiana gun owners about a guy who open carried a firearm into a bank. This person was licensed by the state of Indiana, and nothing that he was doing was illegal. However, Sergeant Rood went to his place of work, expressed his opinion on open carry versus concealed carry, and then threatened to have the person's license revoked if he open carried again.

A few things bother me about this. First, how did Sergeant Rood know where this gentleman worked? Second, is it standard procedure for the Kokomo police officers to let their opinion take precedence over the law? Third, is it standard procedure to threaten to revoke the license of an individual, who has done nothing illegal, if they continue to engage in a legal act?

I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Love it, thx for the support! :ingo:

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I was reading a thread on Indiana gun owners about a guy who open carried a firearm into a bank. This person was licensed by the state of Indiana, and nothing that he was doing was illegal. However, Sergeant Rood went to his place of work, expressed his opinion on open carry versus concealed carry, and then threatened to have the person's license revoked if he open carried again.

A few things bother me about this. First, how did Sergeant Rood know where this gentleman worked? Second, is it standard procedure for the Kokomo police officers to let their opinion take precedence over the law? Third, is it standard procedure to threaten to revoke the license of an individual, who has done nothing illegal, if they continue to engage in a legal act?

I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

I asked them many similar questions in my email yesterday including inviting them to join our forum and answer the questions themselves. No answer yet!

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i bank at TCU and OC and cc there frequently, often at the same time. a few times ago when i was filling out a mortgage app, i was chatting with the officer working security on the subject of firearms. he was talking about getting a s/w bodyguard for a bug, i told him i had one. he mentioned ankle carry and i asked him about pocket carry instead as an option. he said that he did not like the idea of a pistol bouncing around in his pocket without a holster. i told him i kept mine in a pocket holster and he started in with more questions to the point where i was actually able to pull my pistol out of my pocket and holster in the middle of the bank and noone was alarmed. showed him how the holster worked and put it away (safety was on the entire time and pointed always in a safe direction.) if that is not a firearms friendly bank, then i do not know what is.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    i bank at TCU and OC and cc there frequently, often at the same time. a few times ago when i was filling out a mortgage app, i was chatting with the officer working security on the subject of firearms. he was talking about getting a s/w bodyguard for a bug, i told him i had one. he mentioned ankle carry and i asked him about pocket carry instead as an option. he said that he did not like the idea of a pistol bouncing around in his pocket without a holster. i told him i kept mine in a pocket holster and he started in with more questions to the point where i was actually able to pull my pistol out of my pocket and holster in the middle of the bank and noone was alarmed. showed him how the holster worked and put it away (safety was on the entire time and pointed always in a safe direction.) if that is not a firearms friendly bank, then i do not know what is.

I bank there, too. All the branches in South Bend/Mishawaka have never given me a problem. Well, one officer did, but I corrected him, and he's left me alone since then.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    This is why I CC, no stress, fuss, or hassle. It just seems to me some people likes the hassle that goes with open carry (and we see a lot of it on here) and if you do, go for it.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    This is why I CC, no stress, fuss, or hassle. It just seems to me some people likes the hassle that goes with open carry (and we see a lot of it on here) and if you do, go for it.

not_this_crap_again.jpg

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

...and what was he hassled for Bob? What social faux pax did he commit? What terrible act labeled him a world class turd to warrant a visit from the fuzz, the man, Johnny Law?

Nothing. The man did absolutely nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada. No laws were broke, no ordinance was befouled.

...and what praytell was his reward for being a law abiding citizen going about his business?

His private information was divulged without consent, he got a rather embarrassing visit while at his place of employment. How fun is that? What could that be like if your boss wasn't an understanding guy? And what does he get in the bonus round? A threat for being in contempt of cop?

Seems all us open carriers want that. That just makes our day.

Great sense of logic. Did you get a free bowl of soup with that?

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN

Wow thank you for your glorious insight. I don't think anyone here had ever put the two together until you brought to our attention. How can we ever thank you????

Moderator is there any chance we can from this day forward have all of snowwalker's posts put in a special color so no one will ever miss his gift of insight and wisdom? Man I just can't believe that no one else has ever thought of this!!!!

Just not fair for one person to be so knowledgeable!

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    OP I'm serious about contacting a lawyer... I'm of firm belief the bank violated several privacy laws here.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Wow, some of you are super touchy with your panties in a twist with a little nasty thrown in, but so be it. I don't care if you OC, it is afterall a personal choice, I'm glad you have taken the steps to protect yourselves. I do what I like without the time delaying events of having to change banks, leave a business, or the seemingly endless problems those who OC do. That's your right and fine by me, to each his own, I'm just doing what is comfortable for me. The drama you put yourselves thru, I just don't understand. Good luck.

I'm not Bob by the way, oops

Last edited:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Wow, some of you are super touchy with your panties in a twist with a little nasty thrown in, but so be it. I don't care if you OC, it is afterall a personal choice, I'm glad you have taken the steps to protect yourselves. I do what I like without the time delaying events of having to change banks, leave a business, or the seemingly endless problems those who OC do. That's your right and fine by me, to each his own, I'm just doing what is comfortable for me. The drama you put yourselves thru, I just don't understand. Good luck.

I'm not Bob by the way, oops

I would rather have to go through all the "drama" than accidentally patronize an institution that doesn't recognize my right to carry.

"Would you mind taking that out to your car?"

"Sure thing. My wallet is going to go with it, and I'll be sure to not do business with you again. Thank you."

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I survived, he just wanted to tell me how its dangerous to OC like John Wayne and I am making myself a target.

He couldn't understand why I would go to another bank and said they way things are that all banks would be like that soon. I replied good thing I have so many to choose from!

He then asked how my mother would feel if she saw a man with a gun at a bank, I simply smiled and said you don't my mom.

So other than my wasted time arguing about OC vs. CC it was all good. No ID of any kind was requested and he did not attempt to disarm me, just mentioned that if I go back OC'ing he would write to he ISP recommending my LTCH or as he said "permit" be suspended.

Well.......thread's few days old,and glad you past it but.......HOW did the dude KNOW where to locate YOU?.......?.......Would'n that be invasion of privacy,and release'n confidential info of YOUR's on the banks part?......
    :dunno:

(Woooopps!,LOL!....:):......seems I ain't the only 1 ask'n this question,hahahaha!.....If I was you.....I'd get a lawdude.....:yesway: )

Top Bottom