• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Being the irresponsible parent that I am, my son (7) was late to school today (1st time this year, but I felt like a jackass having to walk him in 3-4 minutes late).

I took him into the office to get him checked in and as I was leaving, a 9-10 year old was reciting the Pledge of Allegiance...With no words missing.:yesway:

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Being the irresponsible parent that I am, my son (7) was late to school today (1st time this year, but I felt like a jackass having to walk him in 3-4 minutes late).

I took him into the office to get him checked in and as I was leaving, a 9-10 year old was reciting the Pledge of Allegiance...With no words missing.:yesway:

That one gets a MAJOR :rockwoot: :+1: from me! Way to GO!

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I'm sorry but I won't recite the pledge with the rest of the sheeple until this nation is restored. I only say the Texas pledge

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm sorry but I won't recite the pledge with the rest of the sheeple until this nation is restored. I only say the Texas pledge

You won't recite it because it has been banned from your Jr. HS, just like permanent markers and your 4th amendment rights. What have you done to get out of that school you go to and away from those SWAT raids you were threatened with, Mr. Liberty?

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    You won't recite it because it has been banned from your Jr. HS, just like permanent markers and your 4th amendment rights. What have you done to get out of that school you go to and away from those SWAT raids you were threatened with, Mr. Liberty?

My JH is the lesser of 2 evils in my district. The drug dogs patrol our school everyday.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    My JH is the lesser of 2 evils in my district. The drug dogs patrol our school everyday.

Damn, drug dogs every day? Granted, times have changed (I've been out of HS for over 10 years), but that is sad. I never once saw a drug dog in my 12 years school (saw one in college, but that's besides the point).

Around here, you can go to any school you want, regardless of district (new rule). Luckily, Xander is right where I want him, so he'll be going to the schools I attended...I liked my schools.

When you are saying it's the first time he was late this year, do you mean first time in 2012? :D

Haha, no it's the first time he was late this school year.:):

I have the report cards to prove it, dammit!!! :laugh:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Damn, drug dogs every day? Granted, times have changed (I've been out of HS for over 10 years), but that is sad. I never once saw a drug dog in my 12 years school (saw one in college, but that's besides the point).

Around here, you can go to any school you want, regardless of district (new rule). Luckily, Xander is right where I want him, so he'll be going to the schools I attended...I liked my schools.

Haha, no it's the first time he was late this school year.:):

I have the report cards to prove it, dammit!!! :laugh:

Ok I believe you. :yesway:
    I just thought you were proud it was the first time he was late in 21 days.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Reciting the Pledge looks to be patriotic and wonderful. For some, I'm sure it is. We've all seen John Wayne's and Red Skelton's versions of it. For those few children who actually consider the meaning of it, rather than just recite it by rote, maybe it's something with which they agree.

Leave out the word "indivisible" and I'm more inclined to say it with you, but when presented with the opportunity, I usually use my version (below).

I'm all for patriotism. I'm not much in favor of blind obedience or rote repetition of a phrase just to give an appearance of it.

:twocents:

Benny, just curious if Xander got a tardy or if it was excused as "Dad's fault"? Been a few years since I had to deal with the government schools.

Blessings,
    Bill

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I can still remember reciting the pledge and saying a prayer before class. It was a public school and in a very rough neighborhood. Kids respected both. One of the few minutes of tranquility in the day.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Benny, just curious if Xander got a tardy or if it was excused as "Dad's fault"? Been a few years since I had to deal with the government schools.

It shows up as him getting a tardy, but means absolutely nothing to him. It just shows up on his report card. I'm sure if they piled up, I'd get a call from school asking why he's always late.

Earlier this year he missed 5 consecutive days of school (he was sick as a dog and was having trouble breathing), but got a Dr.'s note for all 5 days. Other than that, this will be the first hiccup on his card.

Benny -- Good to hear that; my grand-son will start there in 2013. I keep hearing good things about that school system. -- Greg

Yes, it's a great school. My Kindergarten and 5th grade teachers still teach there (at least those are the two I've seen). I remember seeing my K teacher at orientation and when she found out I had a kid and he wasn't in her class, I thought she was going to cry.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I got talked to by the principal for having my son in 10-15 minutes late every day, but it was the best I could do at the time under the circumstances, so they let it drop.

In the early grades, you can hope that they'll gather some appreciation, but at that level, it's mostly important to get the words into them. Teach them the appreciation of them when they're ready. Some are ready before others.

My son's middle school had a problem (a couple of years before he got there) of kids sending, shall we say, NSFW pics of themselves to each other with their cell phones. It's not just drugs, man.

Top Bottom