• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I just bought my first 10/22 after swearing off, and selling off all .22lr guns and ammo when prices got redonkculous. I have to say that it's been long enough for me to forget what a joy the round is to shoot. On to my question/concern.

I know that dry firing a rimfire is sacrilege, and for damn good reason. With that in mind, one would assume that last round bolt hold open would be a standard feature to prevent what I call the AK "it's safe to return fire now" click. But alas, I've learned that this is not the case with a 10/22. Is there some sort of built-in protection for when that click happens or am I going to have to exert more brain power and count my shots?

As per Chapter 8, Section 2, Subsection C of INGO code, here is the obligatory picture:

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I shot the crap out of my first one for over a decade and never worried about the "click on 11".
    No problems either.
    What does your owner's manual say about dry firing?

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I know that dry firing a rimfire is sacrilege, and for damn good reason. With that in mind, one would assume that last round bolt hold open would be a standard feature to prevent what I call the AK "it's safe to return fire now" click. But alas, I've learned that this is not the case with a 10/22. Is there some sort of built-in protection for when that click happens or am I going to have to exert more brain power and count my shots?

No problem dry firing a 10/22, as well as many other modern 22s. The 10/22 has a firing pin stop built into the bolt. Quit worrying about about it and enjoy your new rifle.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Manual says that it's all good. It wouldn't be the first time that a manufacturer put out misinformation, though. Remember Hi Point's "shake your ammo" bit in their manual?

No I don't remember.
    Because I don't mess with Hi Point.

Believe the owner's manual or not. I do think there some consumer protection in the wording of such a document.
    And..................it's a friggin' 10/22.

If the barrel gets smoked from dry fire (won't)................iron the chamber and change your practice.
    Or just do what you were doing and change barrel every 10 yrs.

Even if you had a factory checkered sporter (sporter, not deluxe sporter)...........there's nothing on the bbl to tie it to the action. Lettering might differ, but one can find even old era barrels to replace one that gets damaged.............and nobody will be able to tell.

It's a 10/22.........easy and inexpensive to keep running a long while.

FWIW I did see a Buckmark target dry fired and pinged. Chamber iron brought it back to full function (and owner quit dry firing it LOL).

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Put a recoil buffer, catch release, and if you feel really froggy try a BX-trigger in it; and, presto!! damn near as good as it gets while staying under $500, although that Magpul stock was probably pretty dear to them...

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You can always ride the bolt while you pull the trigger if you're not wanting to leave the gun cocked with no round in it for storage and don't want to dry fire it.

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    I think you'll be ok, I've encountered the old shot 11 click more times than I can count, and both mine function just fine. FWIW I have seen other rimfires have problems with this though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Top Bottom