• ...and so much more!
  • smith7.3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    ft wayne
    Alright,

I need some advice for a scope for my 10/22. Of course like everyone else I'm on a budget, under 100. So whats out there, do i even need to spend that much, is a $ 50 enough for backyard plinking? I'm ready to learn, so let me have it!

Thanks again

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would save my pennies and get a good scope. Use the open sights, have fun but wait on that scope. Buy a decent scope later.

use Irons and save a little longer. This scope is 119 dollars and the cheapest on the market that will be 100% reliable. People on will be along soon to recomend centerpoint, bsa, tasco. etc. 99 times out of 100 they will not work and if they do work its not for long.

Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 2-7x32 V-Plex

Even in back yard plinking you need a little clarity, and overall function or each range trip turns into a lesson in flusteration because the gun lost zero.

Last edited:

lrhochgesang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Jasper, IN
    i put a Tasco 3-9x32 from Midway USA on my Marlin Model 60 .22LR and i love it. it was around $40 and i feel that for plinking and small varmits it is fantastic. it was very easy to mount and sight it. i feel that it is actually worth more than $40, but dont tell Midway USA that.

smith7.3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    ft wayne
    Thanks for the quick reply's, one of many reasons I visit this site daily! I do like the crossfire, and have no problem saving money, just want to make sure its necessary to spend this kind of money on a 10/22. Sounds like I have some research to do.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks for the quick reply's, one of many reasons I visit this site daily! I do like the crossfire, and have no problem saving money, just want to make sure its necessary to spend this kind of money on a 10/22. Sounds like I have some research to do.

Defintally do your research and let me know if you have questions. When researching make sure you research the crossfire 2, not the crossfire. The crossfire was a old model that was discontinued. The crossfire 2 is a completly diffrent design but I think Vortex really dropped the ball giving it the exact same name. Here is a review I did on them a few months before they were released.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/a_and_a_optics/205886-vortex_crossfire_2_review.html

I know its hard to trust a man trying to sell you somthing but I give you my word I would not risk the reputation ive worked so hard on for a 119 dollar sale.

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    I've got two 10/22's one with a Nikon 3-9x40 bdc and the other with a Mueller APV, both are great and the Mueller was 129.00 shipped, a little more than your budget, but worth the extra money. I've no experience with Vortex optics yet, but am seriously looking at the strikefire for my AR. I've heard nothing but good about them. By your optics once it'll be cheaper in the long run.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Alan won't steer you wrong. I recently got a 3x9 Crossfire 2 from him for a 22lr Savage Mark II.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Wally world Bushnell Banner series 3-9 around 80 bucks on sale. Great 10-22 scope.
    I have many tens thousands of rounds under mine. I even had it on my 30-06 for a bit.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Defintally do your research and let me know if you have questions. When researching make sure you research the crossfire 2, not the crossfire. The crossfire was a old model that was discontinued. The crossfire 2 is a completly diffrent design but I think Vortex really dropped the ball giving it the exact same name. Here is a review I did on them a few months before they were released.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/a_and_a_optics/205886-vortex_crossfire_2_review.html

I know its hard to trust a man trying to sell you somthing but I give you my word I would not risk the reputation ive worked so hard on for a 119 dollar sale.

^^^THIS^^^ Do what Alan sez. I buy all my scopes from him. He's helped me a lot. I'd entrust my newborn with him. :yesway:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I bought a Barska for my son's Mossberg 702 22lr semi-auto 6 years ago ... still holds zero and the view is clear. Key word being 6 years. The OP is looking for something to do backyard plinking.

Your definition of very clear and mine are much much much diffrent. Back yard plinking is no diffrent than range plinking, or hunting, or any other kind of shooting. You still need a scope you can trust, you still need clarity, you still need function. Iron sights are by far the best 50 dollar option on the market period.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If you are just doing some backyard plinking and won't be messing with the adjustments on a regular basis after sighting in just buy whichever scope you like because the 10/22 is not going to beat up even the cheapest scope. I have had a $29 Walmart special 3-9x32 Tasco on my 10/22 for over 20 years and adjust the sights whenever I switch ammo. I shoot on average around 5k per year through it with no problems.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Vette is right. Your Honda is just not sufficient. You must go buy a racecar because driving on the road is no different than driving on the racetrack.

Seriously though, if you can be accurate enough to enjoy yourself and satisfied with a $20 scope, buy a $20 scope. Your needs dictate your budget, not someone else's recommendation.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Your definition of very clear and mine are much much much diffrent. Back yard plinking is no diffrent than range plinking, or hunting, or any other kind of shooting. You still need a scope you can trust, you still need clarity, you still need function. Iron sights are by far the best 50 dollar option on the market period.

Geez thank you for telling me.. now I know. I guess my 30 plus years of shooting just went down the tube.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Coming from the guy who trying to sell me something... I'll take that for what it's worth. I on the other hand, have no horse in this race.

You got me there. This 119 dollar sale is most defintally worth ruining the reputation ive spent years to build up. Man im going to make a fortune on this sale. I might be able to buy myself lunch once.

I realize alot of folks think I recomend what I do because Im trying to sell somthing. Basically I dont care. There is nothing I can do about it, and im not about to expand my line to carry junk that I am not willing to sell to my customers just to prove Im unbiased. I always think its intereting when people make that exact statement they dont notice the countless times I recomend a product that doesnt fall into my line. You basically have 2 options. believe me, or dont believe me and buy a barska, then when it fails realize I was right and realize you wasted 50 bucks and pay what you should have paid the first time.

Statements like the above get my blood boiling more than anything else on this board.

How the hell in your 1 month of membership on this site, or 200 posts have any clue what so ever what my intentions are. Bottom line is you have absolutly no clue.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom