• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Coming from the guy who trying to sell me something... I'll take that for what it's worth. I on the other hand, have no horse in this race.

Putting on any optic and plinking is fine.. I can plink with iron sights or put a cheap scope from Walmart or Ebay that doesn't have a warranty and it might be fine for a day, a week, a month or a year. However, if you want to eventually do more than "plink" then a decent scope with a good company is worth the money.

Vortex scopes have a no fault warranty and are capable of much more than "plinking at 25yds."

My first scope was a $50 Barska and it works fine at 25yds... but doesn't hold zero and I end up having to re-sight it every range trip and I doubt Barska is going to fix it for me. I tried to take my .22 out to 100yds and it didn't track for ****.

I have a Vortex Crossfire that tracks just fine and could apparently could drop out of the back of a moving vehicle and they will replace it with no questions asked.

I guess if you want to plink at 25yds where wind and gravity aren't much of a factor, then a $50 scope should be fine for hitting a pop can or milk jug. I still have my Barska and its fine for "plinking"... not much else. Oh and it will fall apart eventually and I won't even bother trying to get Barska to replace it.

There are probably 10k guys on Ingo who will tell you to buy nice once... they told me and I didn't listen and ended up wasting $50.

Last edited:

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    How the hell in your 1 month of membership on this site, or 200 posts have any clue what so ever what my intentions are. Bottom line is you have absolutly no clue.

Judging me by my membership length and post count is in no way a fair assessment. I no way did I mean to offend you, nor did I mean to imply your product line wasn't quality and fairly priced. However, you are a salesman and your opinion, albeit an expert one, is biased. That bias must be factored in. It's not personal. Do you really believe a salesman when you go to buy an appliance? I hope not. I hope you do the research and read consumer reviews first. Why do we do this?

The OP is looking for a cheap plinking scope. Right out of the box, you go $20 over his highest price and tell him anything less is basically junk. Compare the specs and warranty on the one you recommended with the Barska Plinker. I don't see $70 difference.

Let's just for the sake of argument say it does have $70 difference in performance. Is it performance the OP needs? Doesn't sound like it to me.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I'll go a step further and say that it has an "INFINITY" performance difference!!!

That is the point of Alan's post.... Take clarity and magnification out of it... the fact that the Vortex is GUARANTEED TO TRACK and the Barska might track for awhile... (or not at all) alone is worth $70.

Whether the OP needs a scope that works properly is the question... not the difference in performance. If all he ever plans to do is shoot pop cans out in his backyard... then he could stick with iron sights and save $50... or spend $50 to do what he could have done with iron sights.

If however, he wants to shoot accurately at different distances... then its probably best he get something he can rely on to be accurate and work correctly. If that means saving up an extra $70 then so be it. I went through this exact same scenario when I purchased a 10/22. The Barska was fine, until I discovered what a MOA was and the value of having a scope that could track MOA precisely.

The chances of him buying a $50 scope that works correctly and never needs replaced over a lifetime are slim to none....

The chance of buying a $120 scope that works correctly and never needs replaced over a lifetime are 100%...

That is the point. I'm not saying its impossible to spend $50 and get an amazing scope... but the odds aren't very high.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Judging me by my membership length and post count is in no way a fair assessment. I no way did I mean to offend you, nor did I mean to imply your product line wasn't quality and fairly priced. However, you are a salesman and your opinion, albeit an expert one, is biased. That bias must be factored in. It's not personal. Do you really believe a salesman when you go to buy an appliance? I hope not. I hope you do the research and read consumer reviews first. Why do we do this?

The OP is looking for a cheap plinking scope. Right out of the box, you go $20 over his highest price and tell him anything less is basically junk. Compare the specs and warranty on the one you recommended with the Barska Plinker. I don't see $70 difference.

Let's just for the sake of argument say it does have $70 difference in performance. Is it performance the OP needs? Doesn't sound like it to me.

Im not judging you by your length on ingo, or your post count. What Im saying is you don not have enough expericance seeing how I make recomendations to say my intentions.

Fact of the matter is a salesman is the absilute last thing I am, and probably the most offensive thing I could possibly be called. If I were a salesmen I wouldnt recomend poroduct over mine (wich if you were around longer you would have seen) or at times people come to me to spend 700 bucks and leave spending 450 and having alot more info about their scope requirements. My business is truly unique. Folks are so usto making un informed decisions and not being able to trust the people who are susposto know that they lump all businesses into the same catagory.

Calling me a salesman is somthing I do take as a personal attack because that is the absolute last thing I am.

Ive even gone as far as to tell a customer who wanted a scope for 1000 yard shooting im not going to be the one to sell you that because it will not work. He bought it elsewhere after a salesman told him "its defigned for 1000 yard shooting" 2 months later he called me to say "that scope defintally wont work, what will".

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

I missed this post and would be happy to compare them

Barska has no warranty what so ever for a few reasons.

1 They only cover there product for a few years, and you have to have the original reciept. Its only covered to the original owner wich absolutly kills resale if you sould have to sell it. Noone wants to buy a scope that they know is sub par with no warranty.

2 Barska makes you pay shipping to them and include 20 bucks for return shipping. So your going to spend at least 30 dollars getting a 40 dollar scope fixed.

3 Their warranty is only valid if you reurn the registration card within a set amount of time. All they have to do is say "we didnt get it" and they are out of fixing your product

Just google Barksa warranty and you wont find anyone satisfied with their experiance.

Not enter the warranty on the scope I recomended. The first thing you will notice is this is the entire warranty page.
    Vortex Optics - VIP Warranty

There are not 100 lawyered up stipulations. The reason is Vortex looks at every single customer as a walking talking advertisement. There is no warranty card because the scope is covered to whoever is holding for life. It doesnt matter why its broke, it matters that it is broke. If the product has been discontinued then they upgrade up 1 line free. It doesnt matter if its broke because you dropped it in a pond and forgot about it for 6 months. Its even garranteed to track wich noone makes a scope south of 150 bucks that tracks.

On top of that If you have a issue with your scope They send you a rma with a shipping label. IMO you cant expect somone to pay 30 dollars in shipping on a product that doesnt live up to expectations. They pay shipping to them, and they pay shipping home. The longest Ive ever seen it take is 7 business days from leaving your house to a new one on your door step. They allow their dealers to take in scopes on warranty claims (wich I do for my customers) Basically if you have a issue Ill hand you a brand new one out of my inventory and ill deal with Vortex. As a small business I could not afford to do that if I didnt know Vortex would take care of me.

Ive even had customers loose their turret caps and ask If they could order a replacement. I told them I could order caps, but if they call Vortex they might be supprised. They called Vortex and within 3 days had a package on their door with caps and a invoice saying 0 dollars owed. They actually covered lost items. This person is a INGO member so hopfully they will chime in because I cant recall wich member it was

Last edited:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I can vouch for Alan, as I have met him at the 1500 and been around here long enough to have seen many of his posts, recommendations, and exchanged PMs with him. Having said that, I wouldn't consider myself to have a bias to try to stand up for Alan as his business success doesn't affect me, so why should I stand up for him? Well, because I've seen him recommend Primary Arms (which he doesn't sell) red dots to many people that set their price range for a red dot lower than what he could provide a Strikefire for. I've also heard multiple accounts where he has recommended a cheaper (price-wise) product of his when someone shows interest in one of his more expensive scope models because by talking to the customer, he realizes that they won't need or use the features of the more expensive scope.

JMO, but it's based on experience, not because of his affiliation with his business. Anyone here that has seen enough of his posts knows that he even claims to be a poor salesman in the traditional sense. He has also been known to allow customers the chance to come out and try scopes that they may be interested in. His business is based on service, good products, and great prices, not mass sales of cheap optics just to make a buck.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I can vouch for Alan, as I have met him at the 1500 and been around here long enough to have seen many of his posts, recommendations, and exchanged PMs with him. Having said that, I wouldn't consider myself to have a bias to try to stand up for Alan as his business success doesn't affect me, so why should I stand up for him? Well, because I've seen him recommend Primary Arms (which he doesn't sell) red dots to many people that set their price range for a red dot lower than what he could provide a Strikefire for. I've also heard multiple accounts where he has recommended a cheaper (price-wise) product of his when someone shows interest in one of his more expensive scope models because by talking to the customer, he realizes that they won't need or use the features of the more expensive scope.

JMO, but it's based on experience, not because of his affiliation with his business. Anyone here that has seen enough of his posts knows that he even claims to be a poor salesman in the traditional sense. He has also been known to allow customers the chance to come out and try scopes that they may be interested in. His business is based on service, good products, and great prices, not mass sales of cheap optics just to make a buck.

Same here.... and should I find that Savage TRR-SR I want, I will be going to Allan for a scope.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    use Irons and save a little longer. This scope is 119 dollars and the cheapest on the market that will be 100% reliable. People on will be along soon to recomend centerpoint, bsa, tasco. etc. 99 times out of 100 they will not work and if they do work its not for long.

Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 2-7x32 V-Plex

Even in back yard plinking you need a little clarity, and overall function or each range trip turns into a lesson in flusteration because the gun lost zero.

You sell these for 119?

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I think it comes down to if you're just target shooting of if you're in defense mode.

I buy all guns in defense mode thinking. I'm not really trusting a 22 round to do much damage beyond 100 yards even if I do make the hit.

So I'm inclined to throw a reflex red dot type optic on a 10/22 thinking that it's my last ditch gun in a pinch.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Just saw the OP is plinking. What the heck go reflex red dot anyway. It's accurate enough for plinking. And reflex red dots are still novel enough to be a good conversation piece at the range.

smith7.3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    ft wayne
    Wow, that was alot of reading (good), so thanks again for all the input. I do like the idea of a "lifetime" quality scope, Vette - let me save a few more pennies and i will be in touch.

Thanks again guys!

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    I already said it once, spend the money the first time and don't short cut on optics. It's not worth buying three low end scopes only to find them to be junk, and then buying something quality. If you don't have the money, then wait and shoot irons until you do. It'll be worth it.

hfdcowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I will chime in, when i started my 700 build i got in touch with Alan thinking i was going to have 1500 to 2000 in a nightforce. I was surprised that the highest dollar scope he recomended was less than 1000. I bought the vortex viper pst and Alan was awesome thru the whole process. I never felt like he was trying to sell me.

Top Bottom