• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thekicks6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    I'm am looking at buying a new shotgun for Geese this season. I've just recently purchase a remington 870 super magnum and have already taken a goose with it but I would like to buy a 10 gauge to hunt both turkey and geese with. If anyone in Northern Indiana around Ligonier, Indiana has a Browning bps 10 gauge or a browning gold light 10 semi auto and is willing to let me shoot it so I can experience the recoil please send me a pm or reply. Thanks guys.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I am sorry, I am way too far away to help you with this, but I wanted to say that I was shooting my BPS in 10 gauge both of the past two weekends and I found the recoil to be easily tolerated. I am sure that this is due to the weight of the gun being at 10.5 pounds.

Last edited:

thekicks6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Thanks for the info. If it's not too much trouble could you give me an idea of your size. I'd like to compare our masses so that I could make some sort of tolerance comparison. I'm 16, about 6'1 and 270 lbs.

thekicks6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    The ten gauge cannot be beat by the 3 and a half inch. The ten gauge still has a capacity advantage by up to 3/4 of an oz in some situations. Also 10 gauge loads can reach velocities upwards of 1500 feet per second so speed is not an issue when compared to 12 gauge.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Didn't the 3 1/2 12ga obsolete the 10 Ga? I thought it had something to do with max psi. Here is one article. Why The 10 Gauge Shotgun is Obsolete

I'd always been told 10 gauge patterns far better than 12 gauge 3-½".

I can't imagine the recoil being bad at all from a semi-auto, but out of a light weight single shot, I'm sure it'll get your attention.

Hell, my mossberg 695 has dislocated my shoulder using 3" remington buck hammers while shooting them from a saiga 12 feels like a light push.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW skinny people can often handle recoil better.

IMHO due to less meat/fat to slide around under impact.

Are you using steel for geese? If so then that's no big deal, even in 3.5". I ran a POS Mossberg 835 for one season.

Buddy had a Browning 10 gauge auto. I patterned some 2+ oz turkey loads from it. Quick repeat shots might be tough though due to the amount of movement....big slow shove.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Gun fit has a lot to do with how recoil is perceived. Experience to recoil and the physical build (mentioned above) can play big parts in it too.

It's a gun, it might kick, get used to it :)

As long as it doesn't crack your cheekbone, enjoy it.

Top Bottom