• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Keeping with that theme, I tested range ammo in my Shield 9 at 50 yards. It’s pretty bad. 16” is about as well as I could do for 2 mags. Can’t hit sh** at 100..probably car door size.

I should try that again with better ammo and hopefully a better shooter.

When Denny was around and teaching at Sand Burr, the snubby class would shoot at 50y and 75y. Pretty much everybody with every gun could hit half-torsos at 75y at the end of the day. I don't know the inherent accuracy of the Shields, but small revolvers tend to have excellent inherent accuracy. Jerry Miculek pretty famously rung steel at 200y with a j-frame he held upside down because JM is a robot sent from the future to embarrass the rest of us.

Reactions: Leo

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I’m late tot eh conversation but I’ve has a little bit of luck at longer ranges. Back years ago when I was in school in IL, our gun club had a weekly defensive pistol shoot, like a one or two stage IPSC shoot, but based more off of reality. We got rained out one week, but several of us had already shown up. We were hiding from the rain over at the 300 yard rifLe range. The guy who was kind of the organizer said, “alright, let’s go grab our handguns!” We proceeded to stand thee with all kinds of practical defensive handguns and get on or very close to steel at 100 yards. I want to say that steel gong was maybe 20”? Been 20 years ago..

down at Martinsville I have range the 100 yard silhouette With multiple handguns. It’s about 2/3 scale, or a really skinny guy! I know I’ve hit it with my 4” Smith .45 Colt and I recently took at S&W Outdoorsman from 1934 with a 6” barrel. I had some fairly hot 38’s loaded up for it and after a few misses to get it figured out, I was hitting 4-5 out of 6. Pretty impressed with that.
    The most fun though, was over at a friends shoot in MO. We have 300 yards to shoot in his hay pasture and it’s basically a day of fun plinking. His dad used to work for a local propane company and has a bunch of the bigger tanks that are about 2 feet diameter and 4-5 feet tall. Like the kind they would use on a mobile home. They’ve all need shot up a bunch but you can still hear that hollow ‘clunk’ when you hit one. I walked up next to the hosts brother at the line and we took turns shooting at a far one near the hill, so pretty close to 300 yards. I was shooting a 7 1/2” USFA SAA in 32/20 and he had a 5 1/2” USFA SAA in 44 special. We were watching for each other and could see the low misses in the dust and within a cylinder full, we were both hitting that tank! It was funny as my little 115 gr bullets going about 1000 FPS definitely got there fast than his 250’s @ 900 FPS, but his bigger heavIver slugs made more of a ‘clunk’ to my ‘tink’!

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I've had the same question...looks like it'd be a lotta fun...but is it really worth the $$ spent?
    The best 'necked-down' round I've found is the .357SIG with the .355 diameter bullet (9mm) and a necked-down .40 S&W casing to create a bottle-neck design! It has a really flat trajectory, through, which makes it great for longer distance target shooting and, with 5-6" barrels, one is getting upwards and into the 1400-1500 fps range, velocity wise...that's saaaamokin'!
    5.7 is 2100 FPS out of their pistol, probably same out of Ruger’s.
    Blows up tannerite which requires 2000 FPS.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    200yd snubby pinky shot by the Master, Jerry Miculek - .

really wanted to find the vid of the Bob Munden 38spl 100yd shot, bit came up empty. If you haven't seen Bob Munden in action, you owe it to yourself to track down some of his footage.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Munden was fast, but I don’t think he ever did some of the things with firearms that Jerry can.

That, and Mr. Miculek manages to ride that fine line between “supremely confident” and “conceited a-hole” in a way I’m not certain Bob was able.

Reactions: Leo

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you look back in time to the older “silly wet” shooters they knocked em down iron sights NP at 100.
    contenders often had aftermarket sights which were smaller than the standard T/C irons.
    Big bore the rams are at 200.
    .22 and Field Pistol theyre at 100.

Watched my dad knock 7 or 8 off the rail at 200 w an iron sighted Python 8".
    And was old and wearing glasses LOL

Granted, some were not the best of hits ( can tell how target exits the rail ).
    Is cool to watch though.

The topple w ding delay is neat.

Top Bottom