• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    After watching those videos I'm going to get myself a steel guide rod. Never know when I may be in a situation where I need to shoot 1,000 bad guys.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    or 500 bad guys twice each. ;)

I just thought it was cool the gun kept running after it puked the guide rod out the front.
    I would guess a Sig would run without the guide rod. I'm not sure if an HK with the dual recoil springs would or not.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    and how does this relate to this masturbatory exercise? i'll agree that we should train as realistically as we are able, but to allow ANY breach of safety and common sense is criminal.

Criminal? Don't be obtuse.

For the 1000th time, violating arbitrary range rules is not the same as violating a firearm safety rule.

INrange

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2008
    Now someone must sacrafice a glock on the altar of torture. I'd like to see how many rounds one can take without a guide rod.

indyninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Id love to see you try that test with your "low point" :):

hi_p_48302.jpg

Heheheheheee........ Hey... give 'em a break man. I'm just glad to see they got one to go 1,000 rounds without blowing-up. Good for them!!!! :rockwoot:

Yay!!!!! :banana::thumbsup::banana::thumbsup:

J/K of course ...... :laugh: :lmfao::rofl:
    :cheers:

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    If you give me the ammo I will feed it thorugh my hi-point till it breaks, then send it back to beemiller, have it repaired and shoot the rest of the ammo through it if there is any left

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    He's probably not going balls to the wall; it's an exhibition shoot, not a training course or real-world shootout. IME, the extra time it takes to overhand the slide is negligible, and the benefits more than make up for it (see below).

I do, too, for the following reasons (in descending order of importance to me):

1) Overhanding the slide (or using the slingshot method, whichever) imparts more slide velocity than releasing it using the slide stop lever, which results in more positive loading. I've seen failures to feed caused by using the slide stop method; the slide just doesn't have enough "oomph" to strip a round out of the mag and slam it into the chamber.

If dropping the slide with the slide release doesn't work consistently, there is probably something wrong with the gun. The idea that racking the slide gives it more "oomph!" to strip the top rounds and go into battery is something I see repeated often, but I don't see a factual basis for it. The additional energy stored in the recoil spring added by pushing the slide back a couple of extra millimeters isn't going to amount to much, even though the energy is proportional to the deflection of the spring squared. If there was a bigger difference in the distance, sure, but that's not the case.

Why do Glocks always go into battery on those occasions when the slide releases on its own (more common with some specific guns than others) when you slam a magazine into it? There is plenty of energy stored in the spring from that position (i.e. from slide lock) for the slide to return to battery.

I suggest that most malfuntions that occur when using a slide release occur for other reasons. I would further suggest that the most likely culprit is the operator's thumb or other body part being in contact with the slide which can and will significantly slow the slide's forward progress.

And of course, there are guns where racking the slide like that is more likely to induce a malfunction than using the slide release (9mm 1911s are an example).

The only reason for racking the slide that I find compelling is that some guns don't have slide releases or what they do have is vestigial at best. If someone wants a one size fits all technique, that's it.

If the gun my hands has a slide or bolt release, I'm going to use it. That goes for 1911s, Smith & Wesson 3rd Gens, an AR, etc. If doesn't have one, I rack the slide. Pretty simple.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If dropping the slide with the slide release doesn't work consistently, there is probably something wrong with the gun.

I don't dispute that. Problem could be malformed feed lips, a weak recoil spring, burr on the feed ramp, or any number of other issues. But in the event there is something wrong with the gun, racking the slide is more likely to "power through" the problem and allow you to continue the fight, than using the slide stop. THAT was my point.

And of course, there are guns where racking the slide like that is more likely to induce a malfunction than using the slide release (9mm 1911s are an example).

I'd say if racking the slide causes a malfunction, there is probably something wrong with the gun. ;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't dispute that. Problem could be malformed feed lips, a weak recoil spring, burr on the feed ramp, or any number of other issues. But in the event there is something wrong with the gun, racking the slide is more likely to "power through" the problem and allow you to continue the fight, than using the slide stop. THAT was my point.

And I'm saying that racking the slide won't give you a significant amount of extra "power" (actually energy available to do work). The additional distance you compress the spring is insignificant.

Have you measured how much more "power" would be available, or done some calculations? I could do that if you give me the spring rate (and how far it is to be compressed to provide that rate number of pounds) and the distance you can rack the slide past the slide stop. It won't amount to much.

Sure, a lot of big names and a lot of very knowledgeable shooters and instructors make the same claim. They fully believe the assertion. People just accept it when some of them say these things, but in this particular case, it just doesn't hold water.

I'd say if racking the slide causes a malfunction, there is probably something wrong with the gun. ;)

Touche!

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    If you give me the ammo I will feed it thorugh my hi-point till it breaks, then send it back to beemiller, have it repaired and shoot the rest of the ammo through it if there is any left
    Hehehehe... YEP!!! :rockwoot:

To quote the "Captian" from Cool Hand Luke..... "Some men you just can't reach". ;)
    :cheers:

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I would be curious how many shots in a row it would take to break the hi-point. If I ever have alot of extra money, or find a great deal on ammo I might just have to give it a try.

Top Bottom