• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Title pretty much says it.

I'm looking for suggestions for optics for a 1000 yard rifle. .308 to be precise.

What would be your suggestions?

For arguments sake, I'm going to say money is no object. It is, but I'd still like to know my options.

Please tell me what your choice would be, and why. I would also like to know the approximate price for your suggestion.

:popcorn:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    S&B PMII series

Best optical glass
    Best turret options
    Enough internal travel on some models to get to 1K with a 0 MOA mount
    Tons of reticle choices
    FFP or SFP availability
    Most models Illuminated
    34mm main tube
    Battle proven

Now open up the wallet and shell ou the the $3K

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    my firswt choice would be either s&b or uso. my 3rd choich would be nf. are you shooting at known ranges all the time? if so you really dont need a ffp scope and i would go with the nf 12-42 either br series or nsx. personally i like a npr1 recticle but that is personal preferance

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Best bang for your buck is going to come with the Nightforce SFP scopes. Beyond that you get into the point of diminishing returns and are paying a lot of money for relatively small advantages.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    As P-dog put it, what are the incremental advatages worth to you.

Prime example... Leupold MK4. I didint even mention it and it is a great scope. You will find a number of threads knocking them but I have never had a mechanical issue with any of the ones that I have owned. they have been extremely good. Why didnt I include it on my list, cause for $200-$400 more you could get a NF that in my opinion has better optical clarity than the MK4.

ALL the MK4's i had always appeared a bit "hazy" at the outter edges. Nothing I think the "average" joe would notice but I did. for me the $200-$400 bump to get a NK is worth it. But again to refrence P-Dog, what are the incremental advantages worth?? Only the end user can decide that!

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    if you are down my way you are welcome to look through my nightforce and see what you think. i also have a swarovski if you want to see that

Same offer here for my Leupys. I also have a Super Sniper that is decent quality, if you're looking for something lower in price. SS is not as clear as the ones mentioned, but I'm sure it would get you to 1000.

Let me know.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i see a big contender left off the list's given to you and that is premier heritage. equal quality to the s&b with out a doubt and american made. if your ever in indy and want to check some out i can let you peer through the premier, nightforce, super sniper if you want. just let me know though cause i am getting ready to sell a bunch of them as i am in a rough spot right now.

again tell us more about what your looking to do with them and we will all be able to help you a little more

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    i see a big contender left off the list's given to you and that is premier heritage. equal quality to the s&b with out a doubt and american made. if your ever in indy and want to check some out i can let you peer through the premier, nightforce, super sniper if you want. just let me know though cause i am getting ready to sell a bunch of them as i am in a rough spot right now.

again tell us more about what your looking to do with them and we will all be able to help you a little more

Premier....... the American S&B. All they did was hire ex S&B designers and stuck there reticles in old ideas. More politics behind my dislike of Premier but that's another topic. Things were diffrent when the old man was alive.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    I faced this choice about a month ago and end up purchasing a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 X 50. So far I've had it out to 650 yards on my Remmy 700 in .308. It is exceptionally clear, and has tons of adjustment. I am looking forward to moving out over the remaining 350 yards.

R700a.jpg

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Premier....... the American S&B. All they did was hire ex S&B designers and stuck there reticles in old ideas. More politics behind my dislike of Premier but that's another topic. Things were diffrent when the old man was alive.

i loved my s&b but i always try if i can to help american companies out. i know not all of there product is american made but either way i love it. the glass is amazing, the turrets are revolutionary and also amazing, the ruggedness is awesome. i have zero complaints but i don't follow politics of it.

as far as mark 4's go they are decent scopes for what they are but if you have the option you would be much better off imo with a super sniper 3-9 ffp or go with the new super sniper 10x with the hd glass or hell for that matter a regular super sniper 10x for 300 bucks or . they will be cheaper and much better made the glass is great, especially in the hd and the 3-9 ffp, they are built for a beating, just great scopes. some people will probably disagree but i rocked a mark 4 all through the army and it was tons of trouble for me but still a decent scope but i would prefer the super snipers

Top Bottom